★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
07-10-2014, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by handhoney View Post
Am I missing something? I am trying to start a new game and after I get the dialog "Welcome to Siralim. What is your name?", I cannot input anything and no other prompts or changes on the screen occur.

I've restarted the game and tried to start it in several game modes. Still no go. It looks fun and I'd love to try it out.

I'm on an iPhone 5s. I also may or may not be under the influence of a substance.
Press the A button and you should get one of those goofy little boxes filled with alphanumerics. I know, not entirely intuitive, but hey, free game!
07-10-2014, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThylacineStudios View Post
Hey guys! I'm Zack, the creator of Siralim. I just wanted to thank you all for trying it out and I hope you're having fun! There are plenty of huge content updates planned for Siralim, and the best is yet to come.
Any chance the game is coming to Android ??

EDIT : Nevermind I found it on the Play Store already. Looks really really nice.

Bewi

Last edited by Bewi; 07-10-2014 at 02:33 AM.

07-10-2014, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallPeek View Post
Press the A button and you should get one of those goofy little boxes filled with alphanumerics. I know, not entirely intuitive, but hey, free game!
Durp! I don't know why it wouldn't work before. I mean I THOUGHT I tried pushing the "A" button! Maybe I just needed encouragement. :P

Thanks man. Seems to be working nicely now.
07-10-2014, 07:05 AM
Dungeon slowdown is terrible on iPad 2 after the third level. Aside from that and the control scheme, I like it!
07-10-2014, 07:18 AM
New touch controls are coming soon as well . Glad you're all enjoying it!
07-10-2014, 07:57 AM
Simply fantastic gameplay. Cheers!
07-10-2014, 08:19 AM
I only intended to play this for a bit to try it out. I didn't think it would be my cup of tea, seeing as I never played any games where you have pets or capture monsters, etc.

I have however played the original (NES) Dragon Warrior and many aspects of this game smashed me in the face with nostalgia. While that might sound bad, it's definitely not The menu systems, the way the character's frames animate, and many other things remind me of times when RPGs used to focus on gameplay.

In any case, I ended up spending almost 2 hours playing the game and fell in love. The game itself is quite deep with a lot of mechanics that come into play, but none of them seem useless and once I read the text explaining each system and ran through the tutorial (which is well done btw) it all made sense.

This is a gigantic game, combining the following gameplay elements together very seamlessly in a way that makes you want to keep playing:

* Roguelike elements - you can pick permadeath when creating your game but the dungeon levels and loot is random

* Combat is turned-based much like the early final fantasy or dragon warrior games. Here you can fight, flee, cast spells or try to capture monsters, etc. What I love about this system is there's no stupid "random battles" that happen as you try and explore the dungeons - you can see all your enemies move around on the map, so you can pick (more or less) if you want to do battle and there's a finite # of enemies on each map.

* Loot can have random rolls in the secondary slots - if you don't like the roll you have you can use the enchanter NPC to re-roll which is really awesome. Each one of your monsters can equip an artifact at once, and there are several different types that will increase different stats.

* Monster capturing - your "team" is comprised of monsters you summon. To capture monsters you need to weaken them in combat and extract their "particles". Right now I can carry 4 monsters with me and they all have different abilities. The game description says there are hundreds which boggles my mind! So many strategies and possibilities!

* Leveling up - by fighting enemies and completing the dynamic quests you get when you enter dungeons, you and any monsters you have with you (but not the ones in your stable) level up and get stronger

* Base building - You use "rituals" to add components to your castle, so you can add things like new NPCs, new functions of the teleporter, new dungeon types, new rooms to your castle that will do different things. Once you select what you want to build, you basically have to go out adventuring to gather energy (I forget the exact term) to build

That's all I can think of right now but keep in mind this is only after playing less than 2 hours, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff. Furthermore, there are still more elements to come as I have not unlocked all the NPCs or functions of my castle yet.

So, to summarize, if you enjoy rogue-like (random elements, optional permadeath) and deep RPG gameplay with a strong focus on slowly building up yourself, your captured monsters, your castle and equipment, etc - this game is for you.

It's free until level 15 which I guestimate to be around 3 hours at which point you should know if you want to keep going; the perfect "try before you buy" system, IMO. I plan on buying it tonight (I wanted to reach level 15 to see what happened)

Additional note: No slow-downs or other bugs on my device at all (Ipad Mini Retina / IOS 7.1)

Favorites: Siralim 1&2 | Cavern | Rogue Wizards | Solomon's Keep | Endless Depths | Tallowmere | Wayward Souls

Last edited by Jorlen; 07-10-2014 at 08:24 AM.
07-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThylacineStudios View Post
Hey guys! I'm Zack, the creator of Siralim. I just wanted to thank you all for trying it out and I hope you're having fun! There are plenty of huge content updates planned for Siralim, and the best is yet to come.

Hi Zack, thanks for reaching out to us! I just have one question, is there a way to turn off the Pocket Dumpling without brutally killing it?

Gamecenter ID: KBPrinceO

Challenge me to some Ascension!
07-10-2014, 08:59 AM
@Jorlen: Wow! Thank you for the excellent review! I think you touched on the game's core elements perfectly. I can't wait for you to see what else there is to do when you level up more and unlock new features!

@KBPrinceO: Nope, just close your eyes and stab away. You can always get a new one from Licktorr again. That doesn't make up for the fact that you killed a completely innocent/adorable creature, though.
07-10-2014, 09:40 AM
I must be invisible. Never get answered, never get spoken too. I am hurt inside a little bit.

On another note, I have not suffered an iota of slow down on my note 10.1 2014 edition. It's quite great. Well done guys. I am interested in knowing what you developed it with. I've been playing with something called LoomSDK. Pretty decent just not enough documentation, not even close. You guys didn't go native eh?