★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
04-18-2017, 02:35 PM
#21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHamBoy View Post
This game was released on Steam in 2015 and currently has a 60 on Metacritic. That seems pretty mediocre.

Are there improvements to this port? Is it actually good or just "good for mobile."

I find reviews and impressions for a lot of mobile games tend to be skewed and judge a game's quality on a curve relative to other mobile games rather than games in general.
Very true! Would also like to know if there's improvements.. looks fun, also curious what the PC downfalls were.
04-18-2017, 02:40 PM
#22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHamBoy View Post
This game was released on Steam in 2015 and currently has a 60 on Metacritic. That seems pretty mediocre.

Are there improvements to this port? Is it actually good or just "good for mobile."

I find reviews and impressions for a lot of mobile games tend to be skewed and judge a game's quality on a curve relative to other mobile games rather than games in general.
The game has a 71% positive on Steam, which is way, way above average for an indie game. Metacritic can be pretty misleading for a game like this because the score is often based on only a few professional reviews -- one dud can bring the ratings way down.

I also have to take exception with the whole "good for mobile" trope. It's not that people grade mobile games on a curve. It's that we find great value in game being available in our pockets at any time. It makes a decent game a much better one; it makes a great game a revelation.

That's actually why I'm looking forward to playing Skyrm on a Switch (when I finally find one) even though it's likely the worst version of the game.

04-18-2017, 03:31 PM
#23
I saw the game in App Shopper prior to buying and saw that 148Apps gave it 3 stars (out of 5), so I held back my impulse-purchase. They say there's no tight/deep story, but from what I read here you guys are enjoying it as if it's a 5 star game, and the description says there's a story. What's the game like then? Endless missions which aren't linked like iOS Assassin's Creed, or there's a story, a beginning and an end to the game?
04-18-2017, 04:38 PM
#24
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 280
Is there any IAP or strictly premium?
04-18-2017, 04:57 PM
#25
I don't really see much as far as gameplay in most gameplay videos, but you're ship floating around looking for ships to battle. It's seems like a Pirate Ship battle arena game. You battle ships, upgrade you're ship, rinse & repeat. Seems a little shallow and pricey at that price point, especially that there are more than a handful of pirate ship games in the AppStore that already have this kind of gameplay and more. I've also read some of the reviews that are out for the pc versions. They're pretty average, maybe even below that if you take into account some of the reviews from YouTubers and social media outlets that are not officially reported or recognized.

I disagree that just because a game is made portable that it becomes a better experience. Imo, if a game is mediocre It will stay that way unless something is added to the game technically to give it added value. If not, it's still the same game. The truth of it is, that a lot of the times a game that is ported over to mobile from other platforms doesn't translate well to touch devices and becomes an even worse experience. I could be wrong that might not be the case for this game. This could be a good port. There are incredible portts, btw. Games that feel so natural & intuitive on touch devices that it feels that they were originally made for mobile. There could be something I'm missing that I haven't seen yet as far as this game is concerned. I'll keep digging. Hopefully someone here can shed some more light on the gameplay and objectives thru a gameplay video or with an entire breakdown of the game. I read there was exploration, but haven't seen any except in the way of you looking for other ships to battle. Is there a storyline? Are there other objectives besides destroying other ships & upgrading you're ship? Is there an endgame?

Anyway, I hope the people who bought it have fun with the game and share their experiences if they didn't. I know they will tho he he . For now I'll wait till they do and weigh the pros & cons before deciding, but I'm really looking forward to playing a good premium Pirates game. Could this be it?

Last edited by yankeeblue000; 04-18-2017 at 06:03 PM.
04-18-2017, 05:11 PM
#26
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
The game has a 71% positive on Steam, which is way, way above average for an indie game. Metacritic can be pretty misleading for a game like this because the score is often based on only a few professional reviews -- one dud can bring the ratings way down.

I also have to take exception with the whole "good for mobile" trope. It's not that people grade mobile games on a curve. It's that we find great value in game being available in our pockets at any time. It makes a decent game a much better one; it makes a great game a revelation.

That's actually why I'm looking forward to playing Skyrm on a Switch (when I finally find one) even though it's likely the worst version of the game.
I highly doubt the Switch version of Skyrim will be worse than the PS3 version...

But I hold by the "good for mobile" review predilection. The curve of which I speak doesn't include handheld console games like 3DS and Vita and their predecessors.

I think the F2P games have an even stronger curve where the grade is relative to other mobile F2P games. Take Fire Emblem Heroes, for example. It's a pretty awful Fire Emblem game when compared to the console and handhelds entries, but as a F2P "gacha" game it's one of the best.
04-18-2017, 06:12 PM
#27
Joined: Nov 2014
Location: Eos
Posts: 2,446
Yankee blue
You are missing a lot in that synopsis
This has some RPG elements as well as shops items
It's titans quest esque but with pirates and ships
True enough it is fun to just set sail and battle but there is quests etc and it's a lot deeper than that and more to it than that ive barely scratched the surface of it
It's good
04-18-2017, 06:18 PM
#28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHamBoy View Post
I highly doubt the Switch version of Skyrim will be worse than the PS3 version...
Touch .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHamBoy View Post
But I hold by the "good for mobile" review predilection. The curve of which I speak doesn't include handheld console games like 3DS and Vita and their predecessors.
"Good for handheld" is a very common expression in the gaming press. In fact, it even applies to whole systems: I've read many positive reviews about the Switch that excuse its shortcomings because it's "essentially" a handheld system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHamBoy View Post
I think the F2P games have an even stronger curve where the grade is relative to other mobile F2P games. Take Fire Emblem Heroes, for example. It's a pretty awful Fire Emblem game when compared to the console and handhelds entries, but as a F2P "gacha" game it's one of the best.
I think you have a point here, but you can flip it for a different perspective. Personally, I think that FEH is a pretty mediocre F2P game, particularly compared to other F2P SRPGs like Nexon's Fantasy War Tactics. But the Fire Emblem and Nintendo brands lead people to grade it on a curve -- not to mention getting it coverage well beyond mobile gaming circles.

This is all off topic, so I'm not going to keep at it. I'm looking forward to spending time with Tempest in the next couple of days.
04-18-2017, 06:19 PM
#29
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 127
Is this entirely ship based? Or can one dock at a port and explore the islands on foot? If so, it's definitely an instabuy for me! I've never been good with vehicles in games due to some vision issues.
04-18-2017, 06:29 PM
#30
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,443
So you dont see other players for the single player part all out in the wild do you? Only if you go play PVP right?