★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
04-20-2017, 10:58 AM
How hard is this game to learn?

Is the learning curve on this game steep?
04-20-2017, 11:00 AM
Just got it and have only gone with few tutorials... so far looks great and polished... will have more impressions later.

04-20-2017, 11:06 AM
Bought! I've always wanted to play the board game so I hope it doesn't disappoint.
04-20-2017, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcool View Post
Just got it and have only gone with few tutorials... so far looks great and polished... will have more impressions later.
Yes plz
04-20-2017, 01:33 PM
Is this online turn based? I know all the others from them are, but want to confirm as it's not spelled out in the description. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
04-20-2017, 03:28 PM
So with very limited playing time due to at work and it's 420, only went thru first 3 tutorials which is intereactive and does explain very well just long... I didn't finish all the tutorial and Wanted to play 1 game which I lost but it's going to require some more play time for me to understand the rules and mechanics. So far it's fun and u are expanding at the same time manage the land as u can upgrade. Will post later.
04-20-2017, 04:47 PM
Thank you digidiced! I've skipped straight in without tutorials, cause we have played a number of times with my group. It is a very good implementation, but holy crap I'd be lost without knowing the game already! Not complaining at the app, just that this is a game with many options and mechanics. (Suppose that is what the tutorials are for )

The board game counters this wonderfully with the consistent visual language and layout, and that is slightly obfuscated here as there isn't enough screen estate to see it all at once. Don't let this put you off - TM in your pocket with digidiced multiplayer implementation means everyone who likes board gaming should buy... it's a classic game. Just needs some time to soak it all up and understand all the mechanics at play, but more rewarding than many games when fully immersed! Love it....
04-20-2017, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoptic View Post
Thank you digidiced! I've skipped straight in without tutorials, cause we have played a number of times with my group. It is a very good implementation, but holy crap I'd be lost without knowing the game already! Not complaining at the app, just that this is a game with many options and mechanics. (Suppose that is what the tutorials are for )

The board game counters this wonderfully with the consistent visual language and layout, and that is slightly obfuscated here as there isn't enough screen estate to see it all at once. Don't let this put you off - TM in your pocket with digidiced multiplayer implementation means everyone who likes board gaming should buy... it's a classic game. Just needs some time to soak it all up and understand all the mechanics at play, but more rewarding than many games when fully immersed! Love it....
yea, I do feel little lost but that's ok because I'm just starting out and there are several mechanics going on at the same time. In the first game and during mid game started to understand the victory points, but I still don't understand the 4 different cults. After getting the key and opening any cult, I get that but how does it move to next level/number... there are 2 scoring system which is combined score is the winner. Since it was my first game, I won the victory points but lost the cult points.

I can see this game have several levels of strategies at the same time. It's fun but not for feint of heart!
04-20-2017, 06:52 PM
Magnificent game, of you are skilled enough to master this you can master any board game
04-20-2017, 07:35 PM
Never played the physical version but it is #4 on BGG chart I guess it is another no-brainer

Still running the tutorials. But somebody on BGG tells me that you can view it as a 3X games, not random as Catan, but not at all a worker placement game in 4x disguise, a la Eclipse.

I am really bad in worker placement game but I think I can handle this game.

Since this is Digidiced, I do not expect a total bug-free experience (damn, there are still bugs in Patchwork)

Will give more impressions later.

Edit:

Possible first bug found: during tutorial, when you are asked to build a town, you cannot read the town tiles because the instructor dialogue blocks the description text. Worse, you can close the entire town tile selection dialogoue by clicking outside the box, and there is no way you can continue except restarting that section of the tutorial

Is it hard to learn? May be, depending if you have played other similar resource management games before. The tutorial does not seem to cover some elements like "the bowl", etc. One really needs to read the manual, or rerun the tutorials again.

There is online manual, which actually opens a page in the web browser and redirects to the PDF version over the board game developer webiste. I strongly suggest newcomers to read it.

Again, of course, learning how to play is one thing, learning how to *win* is very much another story.

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

“Honestly, I was never terribly good at games.” - Finch (PoI S2E16)

Last edited by currymutton; 04-20-2017 at 08:42 PM.