iPad iMAME (iOS iMAME4ALL in App Store) by Jim VanDeventer

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by AnarKitty, Dec 21, 2011.

1. freezesicle

freezesicle Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    these devs don't seem to have a problem with the similar program that can be used on jailbroken ipods :rolleyes:

2. TommyIII

TommyIII Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Any more good games similar to Rastan to check out? I think i'm addicted to mame'n. :D

3. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    In the open source world asking permission means the world to these guys. They put thousands of hours into these projects and to use their work without their permission is like stealing everything they've done. If this is the case i can see why they requested the app be pulled. It doesn't matter that its a derivative of a derivative, its still their hardwork and dedication that is being displayed without proper credit. Lets quit bashing the people who poured their hearts and souls into creating this. I for one am very thankful for everything the guys at mame have done. Happy holidays!

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The notion that folks who developed a tool to play illegally obtained arcade ROMs would get hung up on authorship is, at best, rich in irony, and at worst totally bonkers. :rolleyes:. But, as you say, Happy Holidays. May the Grinches have their hearts expanded!

5. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Who says they are illegally obtained? I happen to own the jamma pcbs of all the games i have on my phone and then some. I also have nearly 100 neo geo mvs carts and just about every sega naomi cart. So don't assume we are all pirates here. I legally own the pcbs for all the games i have on my idevice and therefore have legal rights to the roms i have loaded. Which is why i can respect the work put into the mame project and someone like yourself doesn't see any value in it.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Congratulations: you are part of the .0001%. Needless to say, nearly everyone posting on this thread has not bought the arcade games, particularly those who downloaded that 1.6 gb set making the rounds. But guess what, even if you own the pcbs that doesn't make legal to download the ROMs (at least not in the US).

I'm not saying that MAME is immoral, or even unethical. But it's definitely illegal to download ROMs in the US.

7. Altrez

Altrez Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    IT
    Kentucky
    You are 100% Correct. I own a few old arcade games but that only licenses me to the software that is installed on my unit. It does not allow me to put the rom on my iPad and play it. Anyone who does that is stealing.

-Altrez

P.P.S But yes I did it :p Arrrrgggghhhh

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Yeah, well, I did too ;).

9. TommyIII

TommyIII Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2010
    This thread has taken a Left turn. Lmao. I'm still checking out these cool OLD-School roms. They will be here and played by others long after we are all dead and gone. Thats what roms are all about.

10. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    I would caution those bashing MAMDEV. Not everyone on the devlist was in favor of what happened. It a collection of people with different viewpoints and values (much like any other collective, given enough time). One only has to read Haze's blog to get a taste of how divided the dev team is on a number of issues. Besides, most of the posters here have the app anyway so it is at best indignation on behalf of others to be upset at a group that, without whom, you wouldn't even have the app anyway.

11. gingerling

gingerling Member

Dec 23, 2011
    Can anyone advise me whether they have managed to get robocop working?
    I've tried every version I can find without success.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    That's fair enough. Personally, I don't equate criticism of a boneheaded decision with "bashing.". I would think that most people here appreciate the effort that MAMDEV has made to keep all these games from our youth alive -- instead of locked in some vault. But I think that we also welcomed a new era for iOS where these wonderful emulators could be shared freely without jailbreaking. It's kind of ironic that it wasn't Apple who snuffed this effort.

I guess we can hope that MANDEV release an official iOS version of the emulator (though I'm afraid that whatever circumstances allowed iMAME to make it to the App Store may not repeat themselves).

13. tetrisattack

tetrisattack Member

Jul 10, 2011
    I saw the compatibility list, but I'm not sure where to start...

What are some good games? Any suggestions?

14. Seleuco

Seleuco Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Madrid
    #454 Seleuco, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
    Dont get fooled...

App removal is due to apple censhorship as it is agains their business

The guy at engadget is trolling as noted by the guy that submit the app who reply to him.

IMame is at android market free for months. :)

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.seleuco.mame4all

I personally asked mamedev several times and they didnt tell me anything against ios or android derivate work...

The guy who told about lazy developers makes me laught becouse i write more than 15000 new lines of code and spent a lot time for free so all of you can enjoy mame on your devices.

Port a modern version of mame is out the scope of the discursion since mame4all is hacked for speed,and their romset is well know as is ported to other handhelds...

Anyway all people are free to port a best mame if they can.. ;)

15. PHUCK-O

PHUCK-O Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009

People don't get all caught up in the right vs wrong vs legal and the philosophy and politics of this.

We're just a bunch of mostly older guys that want to play "Golden Axe" on our iphones/pads instead of that shitty megadrive port that Sega has provided us.

If what i'm doing is wrong then damn me to hell. I've got bigger things to worry about.

16. onyxxz

onyxxz New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I must start with saying a huge thank you for the people behind iMAME4All, the release of iMAME on the app store made my day (also made me by the iCade)!

Now to my question. I have downloaded tons of versions of my favorite games and have a working version of most of them. But my favorite arcade games of all times are Super Street Fighter 2 and Garou: Mark of the Wolves. None of those are i the supported games list and my question is, is there any way to make them compatible with 0.37b5 or is this an impossible mission and is better off left alone? I must have spent a day trying out different versions and tricks with Garou but off course nothing, I even tried naming it fatfury3.zip and tried repairing it with clrmame pro but of course that didn't work ether. ;)

Is this at all possible somehow?

17. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I have it working. You have to google for mame 37b5 roms, and download the normal version with all the archives and the bootleg version, which changes one or two archives. The normal version doesn't work, but the bootleg version works perfectly. I think this should be enough to find it without breaking the forum rules ;-)

18. usmcss

usmcss Member

Dec 25, 2011

To make it easier if you or anyone else makes that mistake again, you can go into the imam's documents file and look for the cfg folder and then delete default.cfg. No need to replace it as it will recreate itself. I have done this myself and it works.

Semper Fi,

Bob

19. RotaryP7

RotaryP7 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I've been trying to do this to SMB lol. I can't figure it out..

20. usmcss

usmcss Member

Dec 25, 2011
    I would like to say thank you to Seleuco, and all the people responsible for imame and mame! You have brought back so many memories of when I was a kid hanging out in arcades back in the early 80's. I really appreciate it!!! Family is over now for Christmas playing all the old games on the Icade!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and everyone on this site!

Semper Fi,

Bob