3D in two player ipad game?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by medelman, Mar 12, 2012.

1. medelman

medelman Member

May 4, 2011
    I have an idea for a game that involves two players on the iPad (play reminiscent of the old cocktail style arcade games cabinets) and I am interested in hearing people's thoughts and experiences on this type of play setup. The entire screen will be interacted with by both players at the same time, and my first thought is that it impossible to use 3d given that the players perspective is different from each side. I suppose that 3d could be used, but the layout would probably turn out very much like an M.C. Escher drawing.

Matt

2. Woodesh

Woodesh Active Member

May 19, 2011
    your only limit to how many players a game can have is around 10, i can't remember the exact number but its roughly how many touch gestures you can have on screen at any one time.
    this obviously doesn't take into consideration anything else, if you wanted a arcade style cabinet system with multiple screens. it would be a massive drain on the device. i know that UDK doesn't support multiple screens so i can't see how you would accomplish this.

3. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

I've thought about similar too.i think your choices would be top-down (apparently Minecraft started this way), split screen, wifi, a curved coordinate system (trippy!)...similar to viewing the Earth from 2 different orbits.

4. medelman

medelman Member

May 4, 2011
    Curved coordinate system. That sounds cool and complex all in one. While the user will be viewing the entire screen from their side, the places they need to touch on the screen will be limited to their side (i.e. button pressing)

5. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

Yes curved would be quite experimental. One of the other methods would be best depending on your game. There's always a compromise except for wifi which is ideal, but interesting to think about new ways to fit a round thing into a square display.

As for curved, the square display would have to show the results of a camera which 'films' along the length of a spline...If you want to join two perspectives together seamlessly. Just way too out there, you could code the camera but the display is not ideal. Better to work on network code imo.