Best PURE High Score games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Zevious Zoquis, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    By "pure," I mean games that don't have distinct levels and a 3 star system and that sort of thing. I'm looking for games where the only goal is to play as long as you can and achieve the highest score you can get. Bonus points for games that have meaningful leaderboards that have somehow managed to minimize the friggin HAXXORS!!!! (although I don't think that's actually possible based on my experience with GC)

Some historical examples would be games like Galaga or PacMan.

A couple of mine for IOS would be Fruit Ninja and Silverfish...

2. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    You could try some endless runner games like outland games, Daneger Boat, Le Vamp, Temple run, I gave up on the high score thing because there are a lot of cheaters and hackers in GC leaderboards which pretty much ruin the experience.

3. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    #3 Zevious Zoquis, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    Yeah, "endless" games (runners, climbers, whatever) are OK. The thing about them though is that they are a straight time-based score. The longer you play, the higher your score. I like a combo system of some sort where you can achieve exponentially higher scores by mastering the system...

4. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #4 tops2, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    Any of the Cave games or Danmaku Unlimited 1/2 if you like bullet hell games. Especially some of Cave games have complicated scoring systems. Some people spend all their time learning and perfecting high scores. They are level based though.

Solpskier is pretty much endless. I've scored higher scores on a 2-3 minute runs vs a 10 minute run before. :p

Edit: Been looking at Ziggurat lately. Sounds like it ends, but most people won't reach it. There seems to be a combo system as well..but I'm not exactly sure if there's a complex scoring system or if its just straight number of aliens killed. Unfortunately it sounds like there's no GC leaderboard support..and I don't know if there's even a local high scores kept.

5. Llamaentity

Llamaentity Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Phoenix HD
    Also, Beat Hazard Ultra

Or some puzzle games:
    Slydris
    Eighty-Eight

6. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ballistic SE
    Fireball SE

7. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    This was probably the best answer to this question for years, but it is no longer a "pure" high scoring game since they went freemium. Now you have to split your time between grinding to earn money for powerups and scoring runs where you spend your money to be able to compete on the leaderboards.

This was the first game that popped into my head when I read the question.

8. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    super monsters ate my condo.

9. oily_chi

oily_chi Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2012
    game dev
    Yes...the Greedies!

MAMC gets my bid too (Did they remove the endless mode in SMAMC?), the mechanics allow for that "exponential score" that Zevious Zoquis was talking about.

AND...my buddy Bo and I have been working on just such a game.

It's called the *Greedies*.
    You play a ROBBER, and you run around the level making hits on citizens and grabbing their $$$. Collide into a COP and your lose.
    There are three floors, and you travel from floor to floor through portals at the edges of the screen that YOU control -- imagine "pac man" meets "portal" and you're partly there)

(you can see what it's like here: thegreedies.tumblr.com ).

Exponential Scoring:
    The "combo" mechanic (hitting a line of citizens) allows you to multiply your score
    The "Bonus Target" mechanic will give you mad cash if you hit a specific citizen head on (not as part of a combo)
    "Power-Ups" available in the game allow you to take additional risk

The more $ you pick up, the more time extensions you can pick up.

The conseqence is that I've scored as low as $0, average about $15k and gotten as high as $300k

Honestly can't wait for arcade gamers to try it...

Crazy thought: Since YOU ALL are interested in such games, if you PM me I will send you a link to download our current *PC only* build for free!

10. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I like the addition of the boosts in Phoenix HD. If I'm playing on the train or something, I'm better off making money than actually beating my old high scores. The full assortment is just 5525 coins anyway.

I don't think Ziggurat ends. Supposedly there are 9 hours of scripted events. I believe after what is considered the ending, it's mostly just the same after that without progress in the vague narrative. I'd love to see a video of all in that game up to the "ending."

The two endless modes in God of Blades use a multiplier based on consecutive kills without taking damage, so it's not just how long you play.

Most games with a complicated scoring system are going to have explicit levels and an endpoint.

11. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Fruit Ninja
    Doodle Jump
    Monsters Ate My Condo
    Canabalt

12. oily_chi

Sep 18, 2012
    game dev
    @Smegly,
    Ziggurat has 9 hours of scripted events !? If that's true that is completely insane! Fun, but insane.

13. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    The game's creator seems at least partially full of shit, so I'd take that claim with a grain of salt. I doubt that anything unique happens after 20 minutes or something, and he just means that there is some degree of non-randomness that is coded for nine hours. I'm lucky to survive three minutes and based on the high scores I saw when it was on GC, nobody likely went past two hours.

14. oily_chi

Sep 18, 2012
    game dev
    @Smegly, Ok that sounds more plausible. I've been meaning to try it for a while. I think I'll have to now. Thx

15. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Whoa..I was under the impression the version of Ziggurat that was re-released didn't have GC. Does the re-released version have GC?

16. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    That's correct, the re-release is recognized by GC but there are no leader boards or achievements. The first release had a huge selection of leader board categories though, and I'm just referring to that from memory.

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    My favorite pure hi score games...

Fireball SE
    Eve of Impact
    Phoenix HD
    Monsters Ate My Condo
    The Blocks Cometh
    Mr. Ninja
    Pix N Love Rush
    Unstoppable Fist
    Star Wars Pinball

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I dont think these qualify as pure hi score games because they involve grinding so you can do better as you get higher level upgrades.

19. Alfalfa

Alfalfa Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Metal slug.

That is, if you can even beat it without dying lmao.

20. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    For one thing I can say that we are very swift at removing cheaters from the Phoenix HD Leaderboards. If you are ever unsure about a score (apart from the obvious ginormous numbers), just check the next day, if it's there, it's legit :) Cheaters are the main reason for us to not have a Game Center leaderboard.