Universal King of Dragon Pass - (by A Sharp)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Something else in the game that makes sense, but isn't something you'd necessarily expect the developers to have thought of: if a raiding party passes by/through an ally's territory on their way to yours, that ally might give you advance warning of the incoming threat. Tribe members will also do the same for each other, so the location and positioning of the clans comes into play in that respect as well.

Thus, it makes sense to ensure that everybody around you is friendly wherever possible, so that not only will they not attack you themselves, but you will also have an early-warning system in case of attack. ^_-

2. Zephro

Zephro Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Quick question. How do you reload the game?
    Also, does 1 season pass after each clan action (trade, explore, etc) and by skipping it by pressing the circle thing?

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Go into "Saga", choose the previous year to which you'd like to go back, and press the "Retore" button at the bottom of that year's chronicle.

One season passes after every other player-initiated action. So, you can perform two menu-based actions every season, but the pop-up dialogue choices are not taken into account, regardless of how many you are faced with each season. Pressing the circle thingie moves time forward by a whole season, which is two player actions.

4. Zephro

Zephro Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
  5. szleski

szleski Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Question to more experienced players (I'm playing through my first game).

I have played for 14 years of game time. Somehow I always end up spending more cows and goods than I'm able to earn. My herd is now down from ~800 at the beginning to ~500. Is that normal? Any hints for how to balance the budget?
    :)

6. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Just bought the game and played for about 2 ingame years.
    Loving it so far, even if as a clan leader I was a disaster (I lost many men and cattle due to our failed raids and succeful enemies raids, not to mention disastrous diplomatic missions).

Am I reading correctly?
    Every season I can do 2 actions?
    Like...2 raids or 1 raid and 1 diplomatic mission, 1 exploring and 1 temple building... ?

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yep, that's what the manual says, and so far, it seems to hold true :)

8. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Thank you, having had only 2 hours of time to buy and play it during my lunch break, I didn't read the manual, I confess :)
    But the game got me hooked nonetheless, really original.
    Looking forward to play it much more (and read the manual :) )

9. Sheitana

Sheitana New Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Belarus, Minsk
    One of my favorite genres of games! I want to try it :)

10. JML

JML Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Home Sweet Home
    Wow, I am impressed. So much content, so much to read and discover, so many options. Right now I am more amused by trying out different things than by trying to be as tactical as possible. I can see already that this has a lot of replay value. I can also see that I have a lot to learn. Good stuff. This will most likely turn out to be my most favourite game.

11. Alensin

Alensin Member

Sep 8, 2011
    university student
    Oregon, USA
    I'm glad you're enjoying the game so much. Being tactical and trying to min-max your way to success is precisely the sort of thing KoDP discourages. I'd be interested in any stories you have to share, as that's a fun part of things as well. Keep us updated. :)

12. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Game Impressions

I lost 4 hours of sleep due to this game.
    Without noticing.
    Well...now I'm at work and I definitely notice it.

I'm really liking the game...some random things I love in no particoular order.

1) It's particoularly suited to the iPhone, it's well done and you can APPARENTELY play for 1 minute...
    2) The game constantly throws things to do in your face, while being heavy text based the pace is really good.
    3) After you grasp the basics of your tula managing, things get really interesting with alliances and heroquests.
    4) It's a really different take on storytelling and it give you the impression to write your own history like no other game I played did.
    5) I was afraid about the micromanagement involved but, really, it's not a problem.
    6) I did more quests and real decisions in 4 hours of this game than probably the last 5 PC-Console RPGs I played.
    7) My tula is probably already doomed, but I continue playing and having a lot of fun.

13. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    Ok, ok, I surrender. Perhaps KoDP will go universal one day, hope dies last. Downloading now...

14. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I hope you like the game as I do but BEWARE!!! Do not start playing in bed late at night.
    You'll regret it :D

I'm debating to restart a new game because now, 17 years later in game, I think I grabbed the basics of the game (it's really MASSIVE), but I grew really fond of my people so I'm uncertain even if I know that this 'saga' won't see me as a king ever.

15. JazzFish

JazzFish Active Member

A note on "you get two actions per season": I think heroquests may run until the end of a season regardless of when you start them. So, if you're going to quest, do it as your second action in a season.

For goods, from the Trade screen you can send caravans to set up permanent trading routes with other clans, which will increase your income ("Our market made a profit of X goods"). Works best if the clans you try to trade with are friendly (purple or blue on the map), and you can have more routes with a bigger temple to Issaries.

Cows are a perpetual problem. Left alone, your herd tends to decrease, especially if you've got several temples (which you should, because many of the permanent blessings are All That.) Luckily cows are also easy to come by. :) Send out cattle raids, or normal raids with the objective of Plunder.

16. Alensin

Alensin Member

Sep 8, 2011
    university student
    Oregon, USA
    To further add to what has been said above about herds, make sure you have a bit more than the recommended pasturage for them. Land use is an important but easy to overlook bit of management you should check periodically as your clan grows. Similarly, you might find over time that you aren't taking full advantage of your surplus farmers, and can gradually start increasing your cropland. Just a few tips from my experience.

17. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    'Our people are dispersed, our ring disgraced, our tula abandoned. Thus ends our sorry tale, the tale of clan Anmangarn.'

SIGH.

I was attached to my clan, much more than my clan was attached to me evidentely.

Awesome first experience!!!

18. szleski

szleski Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Thanks for the hints!
    I guess I was too peaceful, trying to be nice to everybody, not raiding at all... :)
    I also realized I have been mostly sacrificing cows instead of goods.

19. szleski

szleski Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Thanks, you are right, it's easy to overlook. Only yesterday I noticed that the ring complains about not having enough oxen etc... Also, I learned from the manual that too much cropland is not good, as the farmers get less productive.

20. Egoyan

Egoyan Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Beijing/Montréal
    Took the plunge on this one a few days ago, and it took me this long to come here and post about it because I just couldn't put it down. It's great, the illustrations are beautiful, the way the story is told is amazing, and most importantly, the gameplay is extremely deep.

My biggest concern with it, before buying, was that the world might feel a bit static, because you obviously don't get to interact in a direct way with it. I quickly found that nothing could be farther from the truth. I find it always fascinating to get new consequences to a decision you might have taken seasons before still pop up during later gameplay. It makes the world feel incredibly alive, and that the people in your clan are real, sometimes (often) with their own specific interests.

Well, I think it might be time to get back to it... I still haven't become King. I believe that'll take me quite a while to achieve, and that's another good thing: I can't see this one leaving my iPod anytime soon.