Battery Life

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Phantomlord, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Phantomlord

Phantomlord Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    I have always followed the hype not to over charge, always make sure to fully deplete the battery to avoid memory effect, don't leave it plugged in over night, don't feed them after midnite etc. However ever since Eliminate, COD Zombies, & Nova I average roughly about and hour and a 1/2 of battery life Getting those annoying messages in game 20%...10%...Black screen after an hour of playing on a full charge. I have an Iphone 3G & and 3rd gen 64gig touch & I'm just wondering if anyone ells has a similar experience of perhaps your averaging a bit better. Just FYI I have blue tooth turned off and brightness on auto usually set midway anyways, also push and notifications/location data turned off. Please share you experience if you will, perhaps I have to either A. Game with my device plugged in or B. invest in a new battery or device?

Thank you for your input,
    - Phantomlord

2. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    These batteries don't have 'memory'. Those practices do not apply to current batteries in mobile or portable devices. The only thing I do is once a month, play until the battery is completely empty and then charge it.

Set the brightness to low and don't leave it on auto. It's likely to up the brightness unnecessarily sometimes.

Half to fully depleted battery life after about 1 hour for high action, 3D graphics games sound just about right. Some games do drain the battery faster, especially so if you are playing online with data going back and forth.

3. Phantomlord

Aug 19, 2009
    Thank you very much for the info. And yes 90% of the time I am playing multiplayer which does seem to be a monster of energy.

4. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    +1 - Just make sure you fully deplete the battery about once every month

5. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I like playing until my battery gets low and then charging it fully and then almost depleting it again. iono if this is good practice but it's what I've always been doing.

6. Phantomlord

Aug 19, 2009
    Will do thanx again guys.
    - Phantomlord

7. iPodtouchfancarjacks

iPodtouchfancarjacks Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    north carliona
    thats why i hope i git my case with a charger on it fro xmas

8. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

#8 Will090, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
    Wait so it is a good idea to not charge it overnight?

9. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Thanks for the info, it is good for me to hear it too. I used to play games like book worm and defender chronicles, and it would me a looking time. Now I play eliminate, nova, dungeon hunter, and all the intense games and I get my battery drained very quickly. I thought it was on it's way to an early death. Anyway, I hope I'm not being rude by topic hijacking but while on this subject: 2 questions:

1.) yesterday I played nova until my battery was 2%. then I plugged it in and was posting on message boards over EDGE. Despite being plugged in, it still died. Should I be worried? I did have the brightness all the way up until the last minute. When I realized how high it was I turned it to probably 25% brightness and it died a minute later.

2.) I have been on edge posting on boards for 1hr15min. I went from 100% to 75%. Does that sound right?

I used to have a free battery app but it's predictions were always wrong. So I fear my battery might be getting to the end of it's life.

10. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I've heard that when the iPod battery reaches 100% it stops charging automatically, is that true?

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Any intelligent device knows to stop charging when it's maxed... I don't see why iPods wouldn't be one of them.

Oh btw, a couple of misconceptions in this topic:

So basically... draining the battery fully isn't recommended, but it will make your battery indicator more accurate.

12. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    lol that's kinda funny..
    I usually stop shortly after I get the 20% warning

13. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    nvm. had a little brain fart.

14. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    this is why Im holding off on the iPhone.. the battery isnt there yet for my gaming abuse

im waiting for the mini nuclear reactors