Freerunning in the app store.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by strato g, Feb 27, 2010.

1. strato g

strato g Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    #1 strato g, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
    The number of games with the Parkour/ Freerunning concept is steadily growing, with titles such as Run!, Action Hero, Canabalt, Jail Breaker, Cyberrunner, Caper and soon to be Mirror's Edge. These are all pretty nice, with fun gameplay. They each have their own uniqueness. But as a huge fan of this concept, I am awaiting something much more intense. I envision something similar to the concept of the T.V. show Chase, that was on the Sci Fi channel. It would be fully rendered in 3D city environments, with immersive gameplay enabling players to run up and down streets, through alleys and buildings, jumping across roof tops, scaling fences and sliding under obstacles, etc. There could be a campaign mode as well as multiplayer wi-fi and bluetooth tag matches, with multiple maps to choose from. There could also be an option to switch between 1st and 3rd person view, during gameplay, by tapping a certain part of the screen. The multiplayer aspect would be last man standing, where players have to run from AI characters that resemble agents, from the Matrix movie. There could also be simple tag matches similar to what many of us played as children. It's just an idea. Who knows, maybe there is a developer out there with the same idea in mind, already working on such a project. I really think that the iDevices are ready for something of this calibre. And the 1st developer that brings this to the app store will take iPhone/ iPod touch gaming to a whole new level. What do you think?

2. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I agree... however I doubt that Mirror's Edge wont be a total free roam, it'd be on rails... something else is also coming up... i,Frogman in the upcoming section... tht too is not completely free roam

3. abruce42

abruce42 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Oh God, I would love a game like that.
    I wouldnt care what the price is but that just sounds fantastic. I actually just tried freerunning this past summer, and I think im actually decent at it. When you do parkour, you realize that every single object can be used for it. Its just a really cool feeling. For Instance, I practiced in my backyard with this old playset, and it worked great.

4. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Yeah, that would be a great game, but that's asking way too much. It's not easy to make a game, let alone a multiplayer free-roam 3d environment action console game for an iPhone. Seriously, man.

5. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

I think the controls would be tough to pull off with the huge variety of moves in free running

6. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    I actually am not a huge fan of free running. True it's addicting, but it gets dull after lots of repetition IMO

7. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    i had a similar image in my head months ago. just wish i could develop! I hade a good control scheme, sliding fingers on both screen up or down to run fast, faster you rub, faster you run. If you slide the right hand side faster you turn right and vice versa.

8. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Mirror's Edge is just about the closest we're gonna get.

9. vj171081

vj171081 Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Independent dev, core skills game design and manag
    Mumbai
  10. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    freerunning was never meant to be commercialized

11. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    that would be an instabuy if executed to perfection. BTW, cha$e is an american version of the way cooler japanese original, called run for money: tosochu (meaning "during escape"), hence, my username

12. vj171081

Feb 21, 2010
    Mumbai
    hi

Commercialization of anything in real world is imp most of the times for its survival. Otehrwise its difficult to find support to take it further.

But I understand your oint some times commercialization ruin things.

For now you can can enjoy Run for Life completely free :)

13. Jomskylark

Jomskylark Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Sounds great, but I think you're just getting your hopes up. Sure it's possible but if it did come I don't think it would be as epic as you're describing. But eh, dreaming doesn't hurt right? :)

14. h0130j03

Jun 28, 2009
    hmmmm... maybe i'll give it a try, i just don't like all the colors

15. h0130j03

Jun 28, 2009
    which do you do? parkour or freerunning? there's a difference

16. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Either was skateboarding. It's doing okay, though.

17. h0130j03

Jun 28, 2009
    i don't know about that, but part of traceur(parkour/freerunning practitioner) thinking is that noone should profit financially from it.

18. vj171081

Feb 21, 2010
    Mumbai
  19. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom