iPhone ROK - Telekinetic Action Adventure Tablet Game!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by BirdBrains, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BirdBrains

BirdBrains Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Game Designer, Artist, Animator
    Shropshire, UK
    #1 BirdBrains, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    RokLogo.png
    Hello!

My name is Ben, and I'm showing off Rok, an action adventure game we at Stitch Games have been working on for quite some time now.

We're developing the game primarily for iPad (4th gen) and then other tablet devices in the near future. You will be able to play it on iPad in June.

Rok is set in a unique norse-inspired sci-fi universe, in which you control an ancient prisoner looking to escape imprisonment with the use of telekinesis, and a mysterious voice to guide you along the way.

You will embark on a journey that will see you uncover the secrecy of this unknown presence that guides you, the reasoning behind your imprisonment, and ultimately escape a hapless fate.

TELEKINESIS

Use your newly attained telekinetic powers to fight enemies, solve puzzles, and evade danger. Levitate subjects of your environment to your will, destroy security measures placed to halt your escape.
    Create distractions and diversions to aid you in overwhelming circumstances, and throw around enemies that stand in your way with your powerful telekinetic abilities.

I really hope you like what you see, we have developed this game with the hopes of embodying what deeper, premium touch screen gaming can be. We will be adding more info to this thread as we get closer to submission.

Thanks!

Stitch Games dev team.

2. Jacquerel

Jacquerel New Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Hi, I'm the Lead (or, only) Programmer for this game and I thought I'd just follow the video up with a few screenshots. Without giving too much away, they should give a small preview of the sort of area progression you will find yourself going through in this game.
    Some of the footage in that video is quite old and contains assets that are either no longer used or look a lot better now (like, objects don't generally have luminous blue auras any more!) so I thought it'd be good to have something up-to-date.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keep in mind that again, while nearing completion this is still work in progress content.
    We've not done a final lighting pass yet, for example, so some areas may appear incorrectly lit (or not lit at all), and these screenshots were taken in the Unity Game display window rather than from an iPad (purely because it's easier for me to do), though both run the same settings and do look pretty much exactly the same when run on the actual device.

I hope some of you are interested :)

3. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    i remember saw this game long time ago, on IGF page I think. However, back on that time there's not much clue nor info about this game. Really glad to see some progress over here :)
    The lighting is pretty enough based on the new screenshots, but from that video 0:59 the broken cave animation looks bit stiff IMO. Good luck for the development :)

4. BirdBrains

BirdBrains Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Shropshire, UK
    #4 BirdBrains, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    Hey Copaeci, yeah we submitted to IGF a little early, the game is way more fleshed out now, and information on the game can be found on our website: www.rokgame.com. As for the animations, (particularly the trolls) lots of bits are still WIP and the video shows gameplay from different times in Rok's development. I'll be sure to share a proper trailer when ready, with final animations, lighting etc.
    Thanks for your interest, we're slaving away to finish this up!

5. BirdBrains

BirdBrains Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Shropshire, UK
    Some gifs!

Jut thought I'd post up some old gifs of some chunks of gameplay, mostly telekinesis in use! Remember that these are actually dated now, and don't represent final gameplay (particularly the placeholder pause button :p)

[​IMG]

In the process of adding more interactive props that the player is able to levitate and smash. One area of the game involves a junkyard that is full of random props, and so I'm taking any suggestions you guys have. Any ideas we like, I will model and put into the game! More junk the merrier :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for taking the time to check out Rok, it's coming very, very soon!

6. Wow! Loving the look (and idea) of this!

7. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    yea this looks great! :)

8. BirdBrains

BirdBrains Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Shropshire, UK
    Thanks for the positive feedback. We will be releasing an official trailer soon, with better quality video, voice over, the works! We also post daily to our instagram: rokgame. Showing off loads of animations and screenshots in the game.

9. BirdBrains

BirdBrains Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Shropshire, UK
    The last few miles of a marathon

Hey everyone, back with another post to sum up what's been happening at Stitch Games' HQ, and how progress is coming along with Rok.

[​IMG]

The game is functional from start to finish, it's now a case of polishing certain areas of the game.

[​IMG]

We need to make the cameras a lot smoother, add more animations to the main character to spice up movements he makes in the game, and as well as other minor tweaks.

[​IMG]

We have an Instagram account now, which is where the images from this post are from. There's also some nice gifs of animations and gameplay.

[​IMG]

We ramped up our efforts for the past four weeks, and hope to be finished making the meat and potatoes of the game within the next two weeks.

[​IMG]

This is our first foray into 'serious' game development, having made relatively small games in the past, and the scope of the game has proven very ambitious, with only myself as artist/animator, and a single coder.

[​IMG]

I hope you enjoy the screens from Instagram. If anyone uses Instagram and wants to see more animations, gameplay tidbits, and images( I post virtually everyday) then please follow rokgame over on Instagram!

10. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    This looks incredible.
    There's a bit of a surreal look but retro sci-if at the same time.
    Beautiful!

11. BirdBrains

BirdBrains Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Shropshire, UK
    Thanks Lavender! I guess Norse mythology mixed with futuristic aspects does mean a pretty surreal aesthetic :)

12. DarkStyle

DarkStyle Active Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Developer
    I really like it! This game reminds me strongly of an old game called Another World... the chosen bluish colors, this simple (retro) polygonal characters, then the setting where the player is a prisoner trying to escape... Looking forward to it! Premium or free+iap game? Any hints on the size (# levels, puzzles, worlds, asks, etc.) or the average playthrough time?

13. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    #13 Lavender, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
    I have been thinking about this.
    With a futuristic theme, random props......
    Futuristic looking vehicles.
    What about old robots or robot parts.
    Coins if they have no value.
    Box of empty alcohol bottles
    Set of old deer or moose antlers
    A set of noisy drums
    Other musical instruments. ( a huge piano?)
    .????

I want to play.... NOW.... Sigh...
    LOL :)

14. BirdBrains

BirdBrains Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Shropshire, UK
    Another World is a great game! A lot of inspiration has come from adventures like Another World, Heart of Darkness on PS1, even stuff like Limbo and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. Rok will be a premium game, and depending on how the player copes with puzzles, we're thinking about two hours.There's nearly 20 areas, some longer than others.

Really hope you enjoy it! There may be answers to some more of your questions over at www.rokgame.com, check it out :)

15. BirdBrains

BirdBrains Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Shropshire, UK
    Ha, those are some great ideas Lavender, it's funny when asked to come forward with completely random ideas you end up with some really different stuff. I will definitely look to add those to my 'random junk' props, you'll have to keep your eyes peeled for them in-game :D

16. BirdBrains

BirdBrains Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Shropshire, UK
    Hey Ben here,

Just a quick message to say that we are still alive and very VERY close to finishing Rok now. We are signing off on most of the levels this week, mostly all is left then is the implementation of sfx and dialog across some levels.

We've been squishing bugs as rapidly as possible, and are really excited to release to iOS soon. We will probably submit to Apple at the end of the month, meaning July is likely for release now.

Thanks to everyone who has shown interest in Rok. :)

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Congratulations -- the game is looking good.

18. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Is it still iPad only or things have changed for iPhone too?

19. BirdBrains

BirdBrains Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Shropshire, UK
    Hey everyone. We are pretty much done with development on Rok now, a few months later than predicted. We just have a few re-recorded lines of dialog to implement, and the last of the bugs on our bug list to finish. We will be submitting to Apple within a week, and looking to promote Rok as best we can, as paid apps need a lot of love coming out of the gate.

We have had people play it from start to finish and feedback has been good! We plan to release Rok in September, and will also be attending Eurogamer Expo (EGX) here in the UK at the end of September, and by that time the game will have been released on the app store.

The game is still tablets only, being available on iPads 4th gen and up to begin with, and then later on Android tablet devices. The game is a little too big for standard iPhone screens, you would really struggle to interact with the game on such a small screen space. We will however be looking at the iPhone 6plus some time in the near future, as the screen is much larger.

We're really sorry for the delay, we've kept pushing the release date back further and further, but now we are confident and certain to release in September this year.

My next big post will hopefully be the announcement of our release trailer, with a date! Thanks to everyone that has showed their support and interest in Rok. It's been one hell of a ride making this game. :D

20. BirdBrains

BirdBrains Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Shropshire, UK
    EGX is in 3 days! We have a full build of Rok ready to send to Apple for submission, and we have a swanky new gameplay trailer, and updated our website. We will be looking to announce a release date for Rok when we get our build back from Apple! Look for possible reviews, previews, and interviews from various media outlets over the coming week.

Here is the Official Gameplay Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6leoZBAIL6k

And here is our website: www.rokgame.com

Thanks again to all of those who have shown interest during the development of Rok, it has been humbling and motivating to hear such kind words. I hope you enjoy our trailer!

-Ben