Is there a way to delete the iOS 7 update from my iPad?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by MasterChief3624, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    If that's the case then they will lose at least one sale.
    I was planning on buying an ipad4 (on the drip) at xmas.
    But I'll not buy one with this OS, not only is it ugly but its hard on my eyes and the new keyboard I am finding very much harder to use now the dropshadows are gone. I don't know why, but they helped my eyesight for some reason.

2. Emotive

Emotive Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Great White North
    Wait, people thought iOS 6 was good looking? Haha. iOS 7 blows it out of the water, people just hate change.

3. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I feel conceptually iOS7 was a nice idea, but there is an art to designing simplicity that actually takes a lot of work. I think Apple failed miserably, it's almost like there was no direction other than to attempt to copy the competition and simplify, the lack of varying levels of cohesion makes it look amateurish at best.

Some people obviously love it, I however find it hodge podge and half baked at best

4. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013

Worked extremely well.
    Guess who now has Over 10,000 mb free now?
    Thanks for the suggestion.

5. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    In that case if I were you I would hold off on that purchase. I can't see how you would be happy with an IOS device stuck at version 6.0 for the long haul. Your pool of usable apps are going to slowly shrink over time. No more OS updates, app updates and no more support. The adoption rate of IOS 7 is already over 70% so that train is pulling out of the station.

6. Yeah, I don't know. I was going to test to see if I could get rid of it by various means, but then just decided to upgrade, so I could report to devs issues in games to get them fixed faster.

But yeah, there maybe a way to get rid of the huge file, but even if you did, apple might keep resending it to you, or at least on every update.

Update ios 7.0.2 also autodownloaded for me, so I kind of just think it is inevitable that one has to upgrade, plus probably many games won't support the older ios and also stuff like the new apple joystick support and other things.

7. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    I have no problem with change but when a change that is IRRIVERSIBLE looks like it was designed by six year olds and then actually causes problems with the user friendliness (ie: new kb look -flat kb, no drop shadows- ) then there is a problem.

Sure, I dislike the browser now, the new icons are vile but that I will get used to.

Seriously I honestly fail to see how ppl can think this looks so much nicer.. Unless my ipad is flawed or something. also the quick launch bar thing at the bottom of the screen, it takes up way way too much screen space. :(

8. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Except for those of us who have bandwidth caps. I detest when DL's - especially LARGE DL's happen without my say so. Thanks Apple. That'll probably cost me some cash.

9. Bertsta

Bertsta New Member

Oct 13, 2013
    I'm with you 100% buddy. 7.0.2 is seriously the most tacky looking thing I've seen since 1980. I downloaded it as the upgrade was supposed to fix a bug and give me a Greek alphabet, but it changed the whole look feel and usability of my iPad mini. The so called upgrade is a joke and was misrepresented. Apple have screwed up and are too proud to admit their you-beaut product looks like Asteroids the arcade game from 1975! No better advert for the opposition..

10. SlightReturn

SlightReturn Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    #30 SlightReturn, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    deleted

11. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Looks very VERY tempting but looking at the comments it's bricked several peoples machines.. Not a chance I'm willing to take right now :(

12. SlightReturn

SlightReturn Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    #32 SlightReturn, Oct 20, 2013
    After taking a closer look at those comments, I deleted the link in my previous post. Nobody should attempt that. It would appear that article is 3+ months old based on some of the comments. That may have worked in the beta version of iOS7 with the previous iTunes, but it does not appear to be working anymore.

Stay with 7.

13. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #33 Vovin, Oct 20, 2013
    Just stumbled over this thread... maybe you could use iExplorer, access the root system and simply delete the iOS7 install package?

But that's a policy I hate. Apple literally forces the update into our machines and in out faces. Not a nice way to treat loyal customers.
    I still got XP on my PC installed and I am happy with it. I'd personally kick Bill's butt when he would force Windows 8 on my PC.

But there's an other option to get rid if the iOS7 install package.

Open Settings->General->Software Update, Click "Install Now". There will be a prompt says "Verifying update...", Wait until this prompt disappear, there will be a spinning wheel on the black background. Immediately press and hold both of the power and home buttons at the same time. DO NOT release the power and home buttons for about 10 seconds. Your device will reboot. It's done. The automatically downloaded firmware will have been deleted.

I think I read that somewhere in an Apple forum and people confirmed that it works.
    To block a future automatic download, you need either to keep your device below 3.1GB (then the button says "download & install iOS7)) or disable some push notifications. That's the way how it automatically gets on your device.

14. AC/DC HACKER!

AC/DC HACKER! New Member

Nov 18, 2013
    How to remove the Update Package and an Unhappy Apple User.

The iOS 7 update is very flat, blank and just fugly to me as well. I love change. Not this change. Jobs (Apple) did very well with iOS 6. Until it's come back to that or Jailbreaking also includes an iOS 6 theme, I won't install the bland 7.

There was a previous post about using the remaining storage on your device to "get rid of" the iOS Install Package that's using your storage space. It does do as the poster suggested. I prefer to use the Camera to do it....but, you could also use iTunes to import movies...or whatever large files you like.
    After that, use Airplane mode to stop the automatic download AND it charges faster. Not that I'm concerned about the "speed" at all, yet, it's helpful.

Apple...not so cool tactics! I love Mavericks, and the Multiple Desktops (I remember the Amiga very well)..but if you continue to adopt the bland and ugly look...I'll just go to Linux and Windows. Argh, I do not like Windows 8 either. I hope they get out of this "bland" mode Companies are in. Tiles...Belch! There is a better way to attempt Ty-Die which is really cool.

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I installed it on my iPhone 4 and actually really like it. I did do a restore to install it (was previously jailbroken) and after installing it my phone is faster, not slower. In terms of look it's a bit hit or miss, but overall it looks great in practice. And I love all the improvements. So far I don't really miss my jailbreak.

I haven't installed on my iPad 2 yet, but will do so when I have the time (it's also jailbroken, so requires a restore).

16. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    That is evil. That means that I will never be able to install XCom on my iPad 2...

17. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Can anyone confirm that this method works?

To iPadisGreat: put XCOM on right after you remove the update and without being on wifi AND power at the same time.

18. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    My solution was to just buy another iPad. Besides I also ultimately update my iPad 2 to iOS 7 as the difference in interface between my iDevices was annoying.

19. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    That's a great idea. I'll just buy another iPad!

Why didn't I think of that?

Oh yeah... because I don't have that kind of money, Mr. Moneybags :(

20. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Seriously. And then he upgraded his old iPad to iOS 7 anyway! :/

I don't suppose you tried the turn-off-while-upgrading trick, MasterChief? Sounds like a 4chan prank to get people to brick their devices which is why I haven't yet. I can deal with less usable space until I decide to jailbreak my mini. My mini is what I play more "modern" games on; my 3GS is still rocking iOS 4.3.5.