Who tried Fling Joysticks?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JamesDean69, Jan 25, 2011.

1. JamesDean69

JamesDean69 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Very curious to hear some more feedback on the Fling Joysticks. Looks like a brilliant idea and looks to work well in the video. Anyone actually order them yet. I'm very tempted.

My only other concern is, if they are really good and a true advantage, as far as high scores go and online competition, will they be considered cheating in a way?

2. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    #2 Osmiral, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2011
    I believe hodapp had ordered some and said they were great, but I don't quite remember so don't take my word for it.

3. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Do they work on normal iPods?

4. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Of course not.

5. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    I've tried them! Mine arrived today (UK, shipping might have been expensive but it was quick.) and... Slight problem :(

I have a screen protector on my iPad, its of the soft self repairing kind, you can leave a finger nail mark in the protector and it disappears after a few minutes. The Flings keep sticking on the surface of the screen protector, making games even less controllable than before! :eek:

So, i'd beware if you have a screen protector installed on your iPad of the sort described above. I've since ordered a different screen protector one of the crystal firm surfaced ones from Martin Fields, im hoping i have more success with that. It should arrive tomorrow, i'll come back then.

6. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa

i also tried them and like many i love them. they work really well if you get them stuck on good. only negatives are the price(which just went down, so its not too bad) and that they block a little move of the screen on your ipad(not much more) so all in all i think they are a great product.

7. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    I can answer your "cheating" question.

I'm a former competitive gamer, and many of my friends are still pro-gamers or at least sponsored (EVO, WCG, CSL...you name it, one of us is there).

Any competitive gamer (and that's who is likely at the top of the charts - the competitive gamers and/or scripters) will tell you that it's not cheating if you don't change the game.

Do pro swimmers whine when the other swimmer gets a sleeker suit?

...Yes.

But then they go get that suit, too. They don't change the rules.

These are merely tools to bring out your best. You may be "more" hampered by playing without them than an opponent is. Is THAT fair to you?

Let every competitor suit themselves accordingly in what whey they play best with. That's true competition.

/rant.

8. caltab

caltab Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I got mine in the mail today, they are awesome. I've been playing geometry wars on them and its a totally different experience. I think the price will detract a lot of people, but if you are willing to spend the money on something like this, you won't regret it.

9. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    what about the APL basketball shoes its banned from the nba becuase it gives players extra hops but it doesnt changes the game at all and anyone cud get them

10. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    I think you have to draw the line somewhere.

11. Lions

Lions Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Designer
    DC
    So far my only complaint is that the stick feels too slick. My thumb keeps slipping off it.

12. BreakerofNations

Jan 31, 2011
    More so than a gameloft game with a virtual joystick?

13. Lions

Lions Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Designer
    DC
    Okay this is weird. I just played geometry wars with and without it. The stick just doesn't feel right. I actually played better without it. At the moment I'm wishing it had the tacky feel like the 360 controller. Now on to some other games.

FYI - I only ordered 1 of these.

14. Curleh Mustache

Curleh Mustache Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Can the make a sucky game good? Specifically PAC-MAN for the iPad.

15. JamesDean69

JamesDean69 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009

I appreciate your input. You make a great point as does the person a few posts up regarding the sneakers that help u jump higher. U each make valid points. Its an interesting debate, one that i thouight should be discussed. Thanks to all for posting your opinions about both the joysticks and the question of whether its cheating or not.

16. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    Changed the screen protector this morning and now i couldnt be happier with the flings. Glide smoothly over the surface and make a huge difference in the games im playing. Revolt works particularly well with them, as does minigore. I will be interested to play latter when i have time and see how games that only need one joystick and swiping play.

As for those sneakers, that was PR at its finest. There's one vague scientific report commisioned by the manufacturer that claims they give an extra boost. (hardly peer reviewed.) but since being banned the sales have gone through the roof.

I tell ya if Gamecentre banned Fling based high scores from the leaderboards they would fly off the shelves :D:

17. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Just thought I'd poke my nose in the 'is it cheating' debate.

My idea is that a joystick is a joystick, whether it's virtual or not. You still have to use the stick to play the game.

However, with shoes that jump for you, that means you're not actually jumping for yourself and the shoes are playing the game for you.

Just like if the joystick was automated, that would be cheating.

18. UTWarden

UTWarden Member

Jul 27, 2009
    got mine today, (2-pack)and played Spider-man, right away I felt natural, will try more later.

19. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    Just got my pair in today. They are amazing. Very easy to install and take off, just simple suction cups. I only used it for 2 games so far (Max Adventures and Infinity Field), but can see myself using them for any dual stick shooter, or any game with a single virtual joystick. They really do add comfort to your fingers so you can play for longer periods. The thumb pads are very soft and have not seen any unwelcomed marks on my iPad from using it. Although $30 for 2 of them may seem pricey, my mind was put at ease after playing one game with them. Got the ninjas

20. UTWarden

UTWarden Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I tried NOVA HD and I found the sticks are slipping, and setting the second stick on was tricky, but adding in the left stick made the game a little easier.

as for Pac-Man HD use the swipe controls.