iPad Final Fantasy Tactics: The War Of The Lions - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Gentleman Adventurer.
    Lancaster, UK
    Be fair, the controls aren't that bad... ;)

2. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Are we going to see iPad version today??! Loool

3. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Bought this game several days ago, but will just have time to play it tonight.

I've never really got into FF game before. The closest was spending 10 minutes on FF8 and 20 minutes on FF10.

I did, however, played several hours of Kingdom Hearts, which I really enjoyed, and finished The World Ends With You, which I ABSOLUTELY LOVE.

With that background, do you think I should read some walkthrough first before diving in to the game? I heard it's quite hard and if we make a mistake in choosing the classes / skills it'll mean grinding for hours later, is that true?

4. Skinypupy

Skinypupy Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I'd highly recommend reading a walkthrough, and you should probably be aware that FFT is nothing like any of the games you mentioned.

I'm about 15 hours in, just started Chapter 2. I'm still not thrilled about the constant slowdown issues, but they're more of an annoyance than a dealbreaker. This is my third playthrough of FFT, and the fact that I'm enjoying is just as much as the previous times speaks volumes as to the longevity of this game. There really is nothing like it.

5. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Just spent 10 minutes with the game... reading the tutorial section! lol
    It's a lot of text.. They could've integrated the tutorial better with the game, to make it interactive rather than just reading text after text after text.

But anyway, yeah I decided to use a walkthrough since I want to enjoy the game, not struggle playing it :eek:

6. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    For what it's worth I'm almost a complete newbie in tactical RPGs but I managed just now to arrive at Chapter 2, without reading any guide excluding some advices I read here.
    The game IS difficult, but when you succeed on your own it really delivers...I advice you to try alone a bit at least (you'll die a lot, have no fear :)

Chapter one was AMAZING, the battles, the pace, the story (ingame cutscenes are really good, movie-cutscenes are INCREDIBLE)...

BTW I keep reading about slowdowns...I must admit the I got none.
    Granted I have low level mages so I didn't summon big monsters....where exactly do you get those slowdowns?
    I have to say it's silk smooth on my iPhone 4 especially rotating the map (I rebooted only after installing the game).
    I'm glad I do not have those, I'm just curious.

7. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    @Pitta: Thanks, I'm still reading the tutorial now. I'll try to play without walkthrough as well, but not sure how far I'd go.

I haven't read any advise here.. Are there plenty of it? If so I'll start reading this thread from the first page (ugh).

8. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I have to admit, I was quite angry when this first came out and I complained it was a shoddy port. That being said, it would seem that no matter the damage done to it, nothing can hide what a gem of a game this is, I'm insanely addicted to it. And to be fair my views have softened, and I think that after a while the controls aren't that bad.

Still keeps crashing on iPad 2 though

9. Skinypupy

Skinypupy Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    The slowdowns seem to be a case of either you get them or you don't. For me, I get terrible lag whenever I access any of the menus or a dialog box appears during battle. No amount of rebooting, RAM clearing, or multi-app closing makes any difference (on IP4). Others (like yourself) are apparently lucky enough not to have any problems.

10. Waks

Waks Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Philippines
    Its funny though. I get minor slowdowns on using potions, but none on summons. Which is.. quite weird.

And yes, despite of it being a mediocre port, I still can't deny how good the game really is. :) I'm able to let go of the problems I encountered quite easily once I got into the game.

11. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I see, thank you.
    I hope SE gets this sorted out soon and everybody can experience the game without slowdowns, because I can guarantee it's almost a flawless experience.
    To be honest there is one instance when I get some 'lag'...when you loose a battle, the game zooms out very slowly sometimes while Game Over come out (no biggie).

12. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    I wonder if the slowdowns are related to iOS version? Maybe folks with and without slowdowns could post their iOS versions? I'm seeing slowdowns during battles in the menu UI when multiple windows are on the screen and I'm running iOS 4.3.0.

13. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    iPhone 4 with the latest firmware (4.3.5 8L1).
    No slowdowns.

14. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    iPod Touch 4g on iOS 4.3.3, jailbroken with redsnow.

Putting my device into safe mode with SBsettings fixed the slowdown issue almost completely. Before that, I had a noticeable drop to 20ish with potions and abilities, and around 45-50 regularly. Now it's almost at 60.

15. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Hm, the AI can be slightly retarded at times.

Mission 2

Objective: Protect Argath!

COMMENCE!

Argath decides to run into the middle of every enemy and gets himself killed in the first 2 turns before any of my units can reach him.

[​IMG]

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Well, he's kind of a hothead with an inflated ego, so I would say that that's in character ;).

17. dinoeggs777

dinoeggs777 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    you know, if you pick the option of not saving him, you can still win...
    saving him isn't a requirement for the battle
    you still get him afterwards

18. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    I know, but I'd still rather he didn't go and get himself killed ASAP.

19. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    SPOILER ALERT Please!!

20. chespace

chespace Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009