Steve Jackson's Sorcery!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Riotgirl, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
  2. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep cant wait for this, think it looks great, wish it was universal though

Only just sold my series of Sorcery books a few months back, as a kid these were amazing to read and had far more sections than the standard Fighting Fantasy books

Looking forward to getting this

4. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Is this a joke? I wasn't expecting it this soon:confused:
    If this is true then woohoo!

5. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

It looks really really good. Instabuy this thursday for sure.

6. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

No joke! We're counting the hours...

7. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

It *is* universal - old iPhone and iPhone 5 both supported! (We just mostly send out ipad shots because they're bigger and prettier).

8. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

That's great and welcome to TA! Can you tell us the price and length of book one?

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Duh apologies ! For some reason i thought it was ipad only.

Looking forward to this even more now !!! For a kid growing up in the 80's i had so many Fighting Fantasy books and the Sorcery series, to see these out on iOS is great. I love the fighting fantasy books (from Tinman) but its great to see you've done something different with Sorcery from what i've seen already.

Instant purchase for me !

10. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Sweet only 36hrs and 20minutes to go :D

11. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Hey there! We're looking at £2.99 / $4.99. And length is kinda hard to say as the structure is a little different from the old books: the last build had 3,441 sections, but most are very short!

12. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Yeah - we love what Tin Man are doing, so there didn't seem much point in doing the same thing! And Sorcery! is perfect for a bit more development - it's got a whole world to explore.

Can't wait to see what people think!

13. Riotgirl

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    #13 Riotgirl, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
    I think this is a brave departure and bringing some innovation to the COYA in the digital age. Tinman have gone in a more traditional gamebook direction (yet updated the concept for the medium, and developed new titles), you've re-imagined the concept, whilst the Lone Wolf developers have furrowed a middle path.

FWIW, I tried the first Tinman IF title, but don't enjoy the experience. I've moved on from IF in terms of COYA in the form of cRPGs. However, I think that phones but especially tablets represent the perfect medium for a renaissance, and am glad that old fans and new fans are enjoying these type of games.

I will probably purchase this reimagining of Sorcery!, because I really like how the interface (UI) has been developed to support the concept. Usual disclaimer applies: once I've finished FF3 and FFIV.

Despite what I've written above, the Sorcery! series is also the few COYA where I would also like to play in a Tinman style for the original text, but especially art-work (I suspect my original copies all went the same way re: to charity). Are you in a position to discuss the licensing arrangement in terms of how much freedom you have?

14. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

We've had a lot of freedom, which has been excellent - the goal was to make something new, but in the spirit of the original; we worked out initial ideas with Steve and then went off and developed them up into a full app. We've expanded the text a lot, adding some branches, but mostly fleshing out what was there - so a single paragraph in the book describing a conversation is now an actual interactive conversation where you choose what to say, that kind of thing. But it stays true to the story/world. It's a bit like a film adaptation, in a way.

All the original art-work has made it across into the app, by the way!

15. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Nice I have the sorcery books (reprints) on my shelf, I'll have to compare them :D
    Can't wait for Wednesday night the CYOA books and apps are some of my favourite things.

16. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    I'm extremely happy to see the CYOA genre utilizing the new technology. I really enjoyed the Fabled Lands app (so much so, I purchased the six reprinted books to support the industry) and am really looking forward to experiencing the innovative direction that Sorcery! and Lone Wolf are taking. Kudos to inkle for taking a chance and I hope it goes spectacularly!

17. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    Is this a re-release? I already purchased the first book of Sorcery! a while back, is it from the same developer?

18. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Not a re-release, but a new adaptation from a completely different developer. Quite a different app too. Check out the preview linked in above!

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Think its totally different. I had that app as well, wasnt bad but i was annoyed no more were made.

I think the Fighting Fantasy license must have ended as they then gave any future books to Tinman games (which was far better) and it looks like the Sorcery app has gone to this new company. Presume as this is Steve Jackson hes got his own company away from Ian Livingstone ?

Either way it'll be 100% different (as you can see from any videos of the app) to what we had before for Sorcery

20. Riotgirl

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Sale!