Registering app (name) without an icon

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by blitter, Aug 20, 2011.

1. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

It's an interesting time for me to register the name for my next game with ITC, then discussing the app with whoever. But the issue that holds me back is the icon.

Last time I did this, the icon changed before the app was released. I updated in ITC and all was fine on release day. But for the next 6 days, and until I submitted the first update: the displayed icon on the store was the 'alpha' icon. I have no idea why it suddenly 'switched' to the old version, but I sent a whole bunch of evidence to ITC and it went unresolved.

What I'm wondering is what other developers do? I can only guess that you either A) haven't had this issue, or B) don't register until the icon is finalized.

2. Vetasoft

Vetasoft Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    well, for us the icon is part of the design. We always make the icon few time after we start the art production. So we don't have this kind of issue.

but this is a little strange. Normally they must use your last icon.

3. blitter

Indeed it should not have happened, and even then ITC should have sorted it within minutes but 3 departments were quite lame to be frank!

I guess this time I'd better get it right first time. Thanks!!

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    This is not about icon design but a problem blitter encountered during his first itc release.. You need to have an icon during the initial setup and thats usualy a dummy, but after uploading the binary things got switched and showed the old instead of the new one..

Imho blitter just use placeholder like you did before.. Thoose icon hicups appear from time to time but you never knowwho they hit next..

Since the big icon is not part of your binarie but uploaded and handleded seperate in itc, thoose appstore icon problems are nothing you can prevent.. Its apples mess.. but with such gigantic databases it does not wonder me at all.

5. Vetasoft

Vetasoft Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Our final icon is made before we "reserve" the name with ITC, please read carefully Mr Ugly...

6. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    ???

My Ugly's info is right on par with the discussion in this thread. He is trying to help out the thread creator, who is "blitter".

blitter, as already discussed...just use the placeholder for now and update when final. The issue you experienced was a bug in the system and should not be happening. I've released several apps, always using a placeholder icon when registering the App Name in iTC. I have yet to run into an issue with the placeholder icon being used in release after I've updated.

7. blitter

Thanks for the comments. We all understood that the issue was a glitch at their [Apple's] end. It's a valuable heads up for anyone else reading who might be new to iTC, there are some good extra points raised too...even though unintentional.

I'm sure that nobody would judge a domestic icon for much censorship (relative to what's out there)...Actually I now have an idea on how to guarantee that a placeholder shall never again be seen in public: Use the Apple logo, no doubt if that randomly displayed on the store then it would be sorted within seconds!