App description: Dungeon time stops when you do: smite monsters cleverly, not by mashing buttons!

With over 300 different types of items to be found, you will keep finding novel solutions to the over 130 different types of monsters you will face on your journey! You have time to think, but this is no puzzler - you will have to fight your adrenalin and use your sword or staff as much as your inventory. This is not a game of plodding through a fixed story, it's about experiencing the journey... and learning lessons that will help your next valiant attempt until you one day conquer the dungeon!

The procedurally-generated dungeon and vast array of possible items gives immense replay value. Some games you'll find a good weapon early, other times you'll rely on wands or potions, or some combination. Sometimes in sheer desperation you'll read a random unidentified scroll... will it be a scroll of fire that incinerates your clothes? Will it be a blessed scroll of teleportation for the ultimate escape?

If you have every played NetHack, DCSS, etc, this game will show you a whole new form of the "roguelike" genre.

When you get good enough to survive to 300 feet, you will be asked to upgrade your character to access the full dungeon. This is a one-off purchase for each type of character (for example, the sorcerer and sorceress are a single type - Evil Mages). The whole game can be played with any character - you only need to purchase your favourite character(s). This can also be seen/purchased in advance under Options/Store.

Upgraded to a new device or to iOS version? Just use the "Recover" button in Options/Store to get your character classes back.

strivemind's comments:

WARNING: This is an actual roguelike, with typical "you move / they move" type gameplay, not an action RPG. It appears that the dev greatly sped up the video.

This is a roguelike, but played from a side-scrolling perspective. It has randomly generated loot, dungeons, monsters. There are other common features such as cursed items, randomly generated potions and spells, wands, etc.

Controls are tap on objects/monsters to use. Tap/hold to move.

There are IAP to unlock other characters.

So far I'm enjoying it. One unique aspect, aside from the side perspective, is that you can point wands in any precise direction (example: you can shoot down from a ladder).
04-08-2014, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytebrain View Post
I bought all the original characters when the game was released, but the new ones aren't free for me.
I'm not complaining, just perplexed.
I have no problem paying a dollar a piece.
I think the confusion is over how you can freely choose the new classes right off but, I believe, unless paid for, there will be some sort of maximum depth cap, right?

While the side scrolly nature annoys me a bit, I love the ragdoll physics and commend the dev for taking the old Nethack pradigm as a clear source but adding many of his own nuances (while both games have, for example, knight and barbarian classes, for example, you'll soon see they treat them uniquely).

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
OpenFeint, Plus+, & Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, Crystal, & iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

Last edited by LordGek; 04-08-2014 at 04:06 PM.
04-09-2014, 06:35 AM
I hope you're all enjoying the new version! I had great fun adding not just the new classes but all the extra content behind them.

Don't feel you have to buy all the characters - the idea is that you get a thorough try of them. I think it's fairer than an all-inclusive price, especially as there are now thousands of players on Steam who want to get their WazHack fix on the train and out-and-about with just one or two class pairs.

There is at least one iOS device that someone has had startup crashes on too, so if you have any problems, be sure to let me know what device and iOS version, so hopefully I can take a look (I only have 2 devices, but I can usually borrow from friends if there is a problem). Sorry iPad 1 users: I couldn't fit it this version - fortunately you can load previous versions pretty easily in the App Store.
04-09-2014, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I think the confusion is over how you can freely choose the new classes right off but, I believe, unless paid for, there will be some sort of maximum depth cap, right?
Oh, yeah, I forgot about that.

It's a great way to show off the different classes.

As I wrote earlier, I've bought all the classes, and if the dev adds new ones, I'll buy them too, just to support the developer.
I love this game!

"To stop the flow of music would be like the stopping of time itself, incredible and inconceivable."
Aaron Copland
Today, 11:08 AM
This game is thoroughly awesome.

The RPG Reload on the front page reminded me about it so I thought I'd bump the thread in case any rogue-like fan is unaware of the game.