Do you like Gameloft if so why?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ilovemyipod, Dec 27, 2010.

?

Do you like Gameloft

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    52.7%
  2. NO

53 vote(s)
    47.3%
  1. ilovemyipod

ilovemyipod Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2009
    I just wanna know how ppl feel about them.

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    A good start might be making the poll and thread title the same instead of opposites.

3. zman2100

zman2100 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Investment Consultant
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yep that would be great considering I saw the thread title and cast my vote based on if I dislike Gameloft and therefore voted for the wrong thing.

4. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Do I like gameloft? As a company they show talent and have proven themselves successful. But I detest their marketing strategy. Do I like gameloft games? Some parts of some games. MC2 multiplayer, hero of Sparta when it first came out.

As a whole, their games can be fun, but they need to release something original before I support them.

5. 2hvy4grvty

2hvy4grvty Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    More like, they need to actually support their games. You can almost guarantee that at most, one title, will even get an update. And it definitely won't be for content.

They're the absolute worst (EA's pretty good with their 1 update) at providing updates for their games.

6. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    EA is questionable sometimes but they just did that big update for need for speed hop pursuit

7. tocameelarcade

tocameelarcade Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    They have very few Great games, some Good games, a lot of OK games and some terrible bad ones. Most of their games are clones of other already popular franchises, but hey this companies would never ever release a game in the appstore.
    I think I only hate
    1. Their lack of focus in just one or two games, creating a really Console Quality experience
    2. Their lack of new IP
    3. The freaking BIG memmory their games take.

8. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    I dislike that they shamefully rip-off other popular franchises, thinking that they may fool the naive iOS user base into buying their games. I mean, there's nothing wrong in copying some elements from the best games out there, but if you go as far as naming your game N.O.V.A, or having a main character with his t-shirt half tucked in, you know that's inexcusable.

I'm pretty sure there are talented people working at Gameloft (I loved Spiderman and kinda enjoyed the Hero of Sparta games), but they have to create their new, original I.P's instead of ripping off other series.

9. 2hvy4grvty

2hvy4grvty Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Overall, EA's disappointing, but definitely a hell of a lot better than Gameloft. I've been following their titles for quite a bit, and the only update I can remember is the one for GT Academy adding the Bugatti. EA's had updates for Hot Pursuit, Fifa, Madden, Monopoly, Tetris, Shift, Mirror's Edge, etc etc. They weren't huge updates (except for Hot Pursuit), but updates nonetheless.

Look up the Gameloft titles, a good majority of them are still ver 1.0.0.

10. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    just copy and port, no original.

11. P0tent1al

P0tent1al Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    European Account Manager
    United Kingdom
    Like them because of their continued support for creating content for Apple devices

Like them because technically their titles getting better and better showcasing what the devices are capable of...

I used to dislike them for discounting pricies very quickly after launch and I have had many a rant on forums about this, but now I know how it works I am more than happy to wait a week or two before investing in a title (and that does not apply just to Gameloft btw)

Blatant IP rip off, just makes me laugh now, because they have clearly done their legal homework to ensure it is not a direct copy of another IP to trigger legal action, but similar enough for consumers to know what title it has drawn "inspiration" from :)

Off to download Final Eternal Fantasy Legacy now :p

12. I think Gameloft is fine. Keep in mind that Gameloft is the mobile division of Ubisoft, who themselves rarely have anything original anymore. Being a big company that is part of an even bigger company they do what all big companies do: Play it safe. They stick to well-established genres and themes because they sell. Originality is a gamble and precious few large companies like to gamble. Gameloft is what it is: They make retreads. But they make pretty good retreads and I've enjoyed them, so no, I don't hate them, because that would be absurd. Just because they don't make original games -- who cares? Show me a big company that has lately.

13. Shanatenay

Shanatenay Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    #13 Shanatenay, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
    I like that, although they definitely aren't very original, they create iphone specific games that tend to run well and look much better than a lot of what else is available on the app store.

Maybe Gameloft will drive some developers to put forth more effort in their iphone offerings.
    Resident Evil 4 vs Zombie Infection is a perfect example.
    I played the demos of both and Zombie Infection definitely looks and runs better out of the two.
    I enjoy GTA chinatown wars, but Gameloft's Gangstar might convince Rockstar to one day do a full 3d GTA on the iphone.

Hopefully we'll see our favorite franchises running smoother, looking better, and controlling better.

Also the obviousness of the source of inpiriation for most of Gameloft's games always makes me laugh.

14. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    I respect Gameloft, because no developer consistently puts out polished games for iOS like Gameloft.
    On the other hand I have to admit that I don't "like" Gameloft, because I think under the beautiful skin their games feel shallow and dull.
    Look at Shrek Kart, for example. The graphics are amazing! Nontheless I rather play Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 2 (Activision / Polarbit), because it's a much better experience with more replay value.
    Or take Let's Golf!, for instance. Great graphics, cool cinematics, good controls. But it got so boring after a while, it was just incredible.
    I think technically most games from Gameloft are okay, but they mostly feel like they got "no soul", if you know what I mean. It's more about money for Gameloft than the real love for games that you need to really stand out and create an amazing gaming experience.

15. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    And that, more or less, is as accurate, fair and unbiased description of Gameloft as I've seen, in a nutshell. Someone just needs to sticky this now, then whenever the "are Gameloft good or evil?" debate arises again, just point the culprit to it while nodding sagely.

16. OzzY

OzzY Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Student
    Serbia
    I voted for NO!

I do hate when I read: "OMG, Halo/Uncharted/etc clone, stupid Gameloft!". That's dumb. They're brought you a console game experience, you should be happy. I respect Gameloft for that.

But, I hate the fact they make games only because of profit. They don't continue updating their games. OK, they added support for retina/gyroscope when iPhone 4 was released, but they never try to fix dozens of bugs every their game has and to polish them.
    Every game has a lot of bugs which they won't fix until their sales start to drop because of unhappy customers (example is Asphalt 5).

Their games are just install-play-finish-delete. Once you finish carrier there's no reason to keep the game. Some of the games have survival, quick race, online MP but these aren't reasons to keep 500+MB game on my device.

Gameloft games are good in some way, but there's more cons about their games so I voted for NO. :)

17. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

I voted for NO.

All because of the fact that I see all studios of gameloft working in hell to produce their games and it's all about their business and profit. Simply to understand that there're not much new game or new creative from them because their staffs can not create something new when they don't even have time thinking of it.

This is why I left gameloft after 5 years working in there also.

18. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    #18 Leegames, Dec 27, 2010
    Voted for the wrong thing as well. This thread really should be changed to have the same question in both header and question! :(

I like Gameloft. They produce no nonsense high quality console experiences to the iOS. I havent been dissapointed with them so far. Not everything has to be creative and "new".

And yet. Voted no, as the header didn' t match the question.

Couldn't a mod change or reset the poll?

19. Dusse

Dusse Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Dislike..no, that's probably not correct. However, the number of Gameloft games that's on my iPhone is just one (Bridge Odyssey). Why? Because I don't play the genres they make for iOS on my iOS devices. FPS, TPS etc is much better played on console, where the controls and graphics and production value is much better/higher.

Obviously the app store has been incredibly amazing for them, but I do kind of wish that a "better" company, focusing on strategy, casual games (such as Angry Birds, Fruit Nina and the like) would have gotten this kind of renaissance.

20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #20 Vovin, Dec 27, 2010

yaaaawwwwwnnnnn.... another stupid Gameloft hate thread?

Seriously - haven't you anything better to do? Or could you maybe use the search function and read the other 382.000 Gameloft hate threads?

Again, linking or disliking is a personal matter. One says this, other says that.
    I really don't know... what do you expect to achieve by making such threads?
    Just to start a flame war? Or are just bored? Having no life? If so, just sit down and play a nice game on your iDevice instead of opening yet another unneccesary Gameloft love&hate thread with absolutely no serious outcome.