Openfeint or Gamecentre ???

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Lightworx, Jan 16, 2011.

?

Online high score system

1. Openfeint

19 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. Gamecentre

66 vote(s)
    72.5%
  3. Other

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. None

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    2.5 had that issue.. there have been 2-3 updates since then.. its now on 2.8

2. GamerOutfit

GamerOutfit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I like OF better but have grown tired of it breaking my builds every other release. My latest update replaced OF with Game Center and I plan to continue the trend. OF is just too hard to integrate reliably.

3. DMProd

DMProd Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    I develop iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad / MacOSX game
    Los Angeles
    I'm using Openfeint in my upcoming app instead of Gamecenter. I've not had any issues of any kind with openfeint. Gamecenter is iOS4.x and newer only so if someone is using an older device with 3.2.x for example Gamecenter will not run on it. I do not know what percentage of iPhone users still use the first gen or iPhone 3G but those devices do not run iOS4 well at all and I also do not know what percentage of iPOD Touch users upgrade the OS.

4. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  5. philo

philo Member

Feb 17, 2011
    I've been thinking long and hard about this and finally made the decision to implement OpenFeint.

Why? Mostly because of the marketing opportunities but I'm also concerned that so many people can not run GameCenter. I've been working hard to make my upcoming game work on 3G devices and I think those users should be offered as much as possible.

Having said that, OpenFeint is huge and I'm very aware that it might introduce problems (haven't seen any yet but I've not done much with it yet either). If it all goes wrong, I'm tempted to look at scoreloop

6. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Scoreloop looks very interesting now because it's true multi-platform. It can handle iOS, Android, Windows Mobile 7 and Bada.

Also, Openfeint has announced that they will support iOS, Mac, Android, and Windows Mobile 7. And have also announced a vision of every OS for every mobile.

So the race is on for a true multi-platform service where everyone will have access to the same data.

This is why Game Center or XBox Live (for mobiles) are doomed because in the end people want a network that is universal! This is especially true for developers who are going down the cross platform route. And the players, if they change to different mobile devices they will be able to take their game progresses with them with Cloud storage.

7. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    #47 Nullroar, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
    Busy bees. :D

Well if anyone has Scoreloop questions, they can always hit us up directly.

EDIT: Or indirectly, if that's how they roll.

8. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Even though Nokia are taking on the Windows Mobile 7 platform, Symbian is still out there and a lot of these devices will be around for a while yet.

Do you have plans to do a Symbian version for Scoreloop?

9. Almog

Almog New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Scoreoid

Hi,
    My name is Almog I'm one of the fonders and developers for Scoreoid.

Not to self promote but Scoreoid is another option - http://www.scoreoid.net/

10. metalslime

metalslime Active Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Well, GREE just nnounced that they're shutting down Openfeint so I guess Gamecenter is your best option now.