Universal Godfire (by Vivid Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 18, 2014.

1. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    #401 sinagog, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    Yeehaw! Got one. They'll prob add a new batch every few hours; it'll be worth refreshing the page every now and then.

ETA: Thinking about it, that's pretty crazy that I managed to get one out of the ten free codes, on a page with 50k likes, about an hour and a half after the post was made... Guess everyone was outside chasing butterflies at that exact moment or something.

2. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    I tried to give this game another chance after the update, but UGGHHHH. It's like this game is half way trying to be an imitation of IB and GoW. My biggest gripe is the fact that you can only roll during combat and fights are arena based.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Did you complain about the fights in closed areas as well in titles like GoW, Onimusha or Devil May Cry?

But yeah, i finished the game before the update, but the roll-only in combat was a weak mechanic. Dont really have any reason to re-install.

4. Based Xatu

Aug 27, 2013
    1. I hate DMC
    2. GoW has an engaging story(at least the first one did) and combat is pretty versatile- you're yactics for fighting change with each enemy.
    3. Onimusha had great combat, and was engaging because of the exploration and unlocking things.

This game doesn't feel like it tried. I know it's a mobile game, but don't advertise yourself as a console like experience and then give weak puzzles, awkward and yanky animations, and slow paced predictable combat. It's not a terrible game though, it just lacked love and care in the production.

5. VividGames

VividGames Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Game developer
    Poland
    Godfire Survival Challenge

Hey there heroes of the Touch Arcade forums! Vivid Games and Everyplay have launched a Survival Challenge competition for fans of Godfire™: Rise of Prometheus with some awesome prizes to be won :)

The competition is divided into two clashes:
    – 12th September-19th September – on Deadly Heights arena
    – 26th September-3rd October – on Gates of Acropolis arena

Right now we're in Clash One. The rules are simple: download Godfire: Rise of Prometheus, register an Everyplay account with Facebook or Twitter, enter the game’s Survival Mode and select Deadly Heights arena, record a video of the best playthrough that shows your final score, name the video #GodfireDH and upload it to Everyplay.

For the best of you out there we’ve prepared exciting rewards, including Godfire™: Rise of Prometheus TITAN EDITION collector boxes, t-shirts, Amazon.com giftcards and lots of Vivid Games digital goodies!

And to top it off, the game is available with a whopping 90% discount for a limited time only. Do you dare step into the arena? :)

[​IMG]

6. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    any update with more levels and bosses?

7. VividGames

VividGames Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Game developer
    Poland
    All I can say is - there's more content coming in future updates :)

8. Optimise the game ipad 3 please. It's laggy...

9. Based Xatu

Aug 27, 2013
    Update says gameplay was improved. Did they make movement in combat separate from the dodge-roll? I would test the update myself, but I'm not willingly removing xcom.

10. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Decided to reinstall as im itching for a brawlery game, and decided i should give this one a go again since the last i played it was before the first update ever hit.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...

My Helios in Hard mode is bugged. Everytime i take out 1/3 of his HP, the controls disappear and he just kills me. There should be a cutscene that doesnt play right after you've dealt 1/3 damage to his HP.

11. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    #411 ramzarules, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    E-P, since you played, did they make the movement separate from rolling, like Based asked above? I admit i wanted to buy this for a long time, but the rolling everywhere instead of moving turns me off from buying this!

Edit.. well, since it's only 89 cents atm, i will give it a try myself and answer that question... hopefully it will be entertaining even without it..

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Nope. Outside of combat you have the vstick to move like what we want him to, but inside combat, walk/run is replaced by directional dodges.

I think it's ok, since you dont really have to walk/run that much. after a dodge or two, there should be an opening for an attack. The way they designed movement in combat is that at a tap of the attack button, the character checks for his distance first and does a gap closing movement animation before he attacks to make up for the lack of walk/run.

At close range, character just attacks right away. At medium distance, he leaps towards his target and does some sort of x-slash. From afar, he rolls towards his target, then finishes the roll with a rising uppercut with both blades.

The way movement is integrated into combat is acceptable, but i do prefer more freedom in movement.

That said, in my opinion, movement isnt the biggest issue in Godfire. It's how you cant choose which enemy to target and attack where this game really falls short from. If the targetting was manual, then i dont see any issue with the movement to be honest. The problem was that you have to be rolling constantly to position yourself to FORCE Prometheus to face the intended target, and sometimes, he still doesnt, which is pretty annoying.

13. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Thanks! It sucks about the targeting, but hopefully for 89 cents it should be good for some entertainment, as it got 4/5 here on TA...

14. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah... I recommend checking it out at that price. Despite having IAPs and a few overpowered IAP-only weapons, the game's still a decent premium pickup, really designed for mobile gaming.

15. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    I deeted it after the second or third level.It wasn't fun to me even with a controller.Too much wild button smashing,level of control (while fighting)was not good enough for my taste.And i can see a good potion of grind staying in my way,playing the same levels more often than i want to upgrade.Wouldn't be a problem if the fighting is fun but too me it feels too much like work.

Not a big loss for a buck though.

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    On this new playthrough i didnt spend anything on IAPs, completed normal mode, while maxing out 2 weapons and 2 armors. ALL WITHOUT REPLAYING A LEVEL AT ALL. Where you see the "grind" doesnt exist at all.

17. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    i just finished the second level, and i agree. for that price, it IS good.

However, the lack of precision control in combat is frustrating, even in those 2 first levels. Prometheus doesn't always hit who and where you want him to.

Godfire fails where IB succeeds, because
    a) IB doesn't give you the option to move around, and then force you to do it strictly by rolling around like a circus tumbler, and
    b) IB doesn't give you the option to fight multiple enemies at once with light and heavy attacks, and then force you to button mash and hope to hit where you want.

If only they added free movement in combat, and precise enemy targeting mechanics, i would definitely give it 5 stars!!! As it is now, 3/5, because i can get away with the button mashing (sadly).

18. Crabman

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    ok,fair enough.But my opinion about the combat system stil stands and i wouldn't continue playing even without grinding.
    The"always roll arround"movent while in combat was also quite annoying to me

19. makitango

makitango Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Did they fix the low resolution issue by now?

20. Crabman

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    It barely hold a constant smooth framerate even on Air 2,i wonder how they could improve the resolution without having a negative impact on fps.Only a metal update would do the trick...