Universal Radar Commander - Defend your Airspace

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by FrozenPepper, Jun 16, 2016.

1. FrozenPepper

FrozenPepper Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #1 FrozenPepper, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    Hi All !
    I'm here to introduce a game we have been working on lately, current (not definitive) title is "Incoming Threats" and easiest way to describe it is "Missile Command" + Tower Defence + ATC game + something else.
    Not sure why but i love radar screens and while experimenting various gameplay ideas this was born.
    Quite happy of how it is coming, we plan to have a short campaign plus a "Survival" game mode in which the AI will progressively trow all it has at you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are currently 3 main weapons with very different characteristics :

1) CIWS > Close-In Weapon System is very efficient at short range and can easily shoot down incoming missiles. User has to orient it, but it fires automatically at enemy targets. (Red cone)

2) Long range missiles > user can orient them, select the targets and approve fire. (Can shoot friendly targets) (Blue cone)

3) Air Artillery > does area damage but is terribly slow. Once selected, double tap in its "cone" to fire. (Yellow cone)

Main gameplay is revolves around strategically orienting the weapons at your disposal and making fast decisions when needed.

A lot is still missing but we are making constant progress and should be able to have something close to a beta.

More info coming soon, but in the meantime, here is a fast gameplay video I just made for this great forum.

Can't wait to hear impressions, ideas and feedback !

UPDATE 3 : We have just released on TestFlight the first beta version of Radar Commander !
    We still plan to add some additional testers so if interested email us at radar [email protected]

UPDATE 2 :
    new gameplay video available (have updated main video in this post)

UPDATE 1 :
    new gui !
    [​IMG]
    Let us know if you prefer the new one or the old one.

2. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    We are also still looking for a decent title, so any ideas are more than welcomed !

3. kripa1415`

kripa1415` Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2012
    it looks very nice but a bit slow, is it normal ?

4. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback ! Yes, definitely a bit too slow, we are working on pace and difficulty progression, hope to have a new video soon showing a more "intense" match.
    Sound is also receiving some major works enhancing immensely immersion.

We will soon release a Test Flight beta, so if any one interested let me know.

5. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    New GUI :
    [​IMG]

Please let us know if you prefer the new one or the (flatter) old one !

(also new video coming very soon)

6. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Hi,

I looked at everything. I looked at the video. I really like the concept. I like the gameplay elements. It looks like it can get pretty intense. Especially managing your weaponry as more enemies appear. I can't wait. It looks like a fun game! As to the UI. Comparing both I prefer the new one. The newer one is definitely better.

Let us know when you are ready for test flight. I'm definitely interested in helping test this one.

Billy

7. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    Great thanks for the feedback !
    We hope to have a test flight version by the end of next week, maybe before, will post here as soon as available.

And here is new video of current state of the game :

We have also changed the name of the game to Radar Commander which we are liking more than Incoming Threat (open to suggestions :) )

8. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Radar Commander is good, and it's looking great overall!
    I'd like to beta test as well when you're ready if you'll have me.
    Personally I like the original all-black look without the metal gray console, but really either is awesome.

9. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Radar commander is great! I did like incoming threat though. To be honest I'm torn. Both are really great choices.

I look forward to next week! Are you going to have a sign up page?

Also how is the control scheme set up? Do you tap the weapon and then tap the threat? Is there a reload timer for each weapon type?

Billy

10. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I'm interested as well! I would go for the second ui (grey border one). It looks more 'realistic' in some sense. Adding effects like sparkles when you're hit really adds to the experience.

11. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    #11 FrozenPepper, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016

Great thanks for the feedback.

Torn about title too, but probably Radar Commander is easier to associate with the game and sound good. Other option was "Radar(dot)War".

About the control scheme :
    You have 3 weapons and each one is handled in a different way :
    - CIWS : shoots automatically, just orient it and it will handle all enemies in it's range.
    - Missiles: user needs to press the "Fire Missiles" button and missiles will depart towards up to 3 "locked" targets . (missiles always hit, but some targets might require more than one).
    - Artillery : double tap to shoot it. It rotates and reloads very slowly but does a wide area damage.

(weapons have a certain amount of ammo they can shoot before requiring a "reload" )

Each weapon has a different reload time, but there are no limits to the amount of times you reload them. Also, each weapon has a different rotation speed to take into account when handling intense moments.

All weapons can be rotated at the same time with multi-touch and can fire independently, this creates some cool "2 players" on same iPad game play in which each handles a portion of the screen and a weapon.

We where also thinking that with updates we could add more radar screens (with different looks) and maybe ranges, so to have a more modern one with the original "flat" look, etc....

About Test Flight beta/alpha : Please email at [email protected] informations about your device and you will be quite probably be selected for the first Test Flight version.

Great thanks again for interest and feedback it is very much appreciated, keep it coming !

EDIT: Corrected email address.... ops..

12. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Dev,

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

[email protected]

Technical details of permanent failure:
    DNS Error: 4683333 DNS type 'mx' lookup of frozenepper.it responded with code NXDOMAIN
    Domain name not found: frozenepper.it

Billy

13. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    Ops.... sorry had missed a letter in email address... fixed in original post

14. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    Happy to write that we have just released on TestFlight first beta version of Radar Commander !
    We still plan to add some additional testers so if interested email us at radar [email protected]

15. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Thanks for the invite! I'm playing on the 5s and the menu is really bugged. The right side menu only works when you click on the most right buttons, when I click on the text 'tutorial' nothing happens. Also the pause screen in the middle doesn't go away when I start a new tutorial or survival.

16. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    Great thanks for the fast report. Working on it now, we had actually not tested much on iPhones as support for devices other than iPad was added at last minute. Hope to have a new build in a few hours.

17. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    Forgot to write that new build is available to Test Flight testers improving iPhone support. Also we still have a few beta slots available so anyone interested in giving Radar Commander a try can email us at [email protected].