Can Panther run Application Loader?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Zenout, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Zenout

Zenout Well-Known Member

I've been on a mission to get a binary uploaded to iTC, finally bagged a cheap Mac Mini via the eBay...

The thing has Panther (OSX 10.3.9)...I can't even get Application Loader v1.2 to install?

What are my options please anyone? Seems that a replacement CPU - Intel based - would be the most economical solution...but I've ran out of cash. The only thing I can afford is the new OSX which won't run on affordable hardware...what does it take to upload a binary!

For those wondering, I develop apps on a PC via Marmalade SDK. I was hoping to develop extensions on this Mac Mini but I don't think Xcode 1.5 is any good either! Figured if I could get say OSX 10.4 installed then maybe Xcode 2 comes with a working Application Loader, anyone know when it started to be bundled please? Think I just wasted £90 and would have been better visiting an Internet Cafe each binary upload :/

2. Zenout

Zenout Well-Known Member

Correction: the loader which I think should be possible to install is v1.3

Error: "The Installer package "Application Loader" cannot be opened. The Bill of Materials for this package was not found."

I have sourced the loader from two places, same result.

3. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well to run the latest xcode you need 10.7.x

and at least some mac with an core duo i think.. so intel it is.. and 200£ sound more in the range of used stuff thats capable of running it..

4. VRPgames

VRPgames Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Ireland
  5. Zenout

Zenout Well-Known Member

Thanks for replies. Yes I should have aimed for a newer used-hardware, guess I will resell it referring to original advert on eBay. I just thought it would easily run the Application Loader! IMO a 32bit binary should just work but I am used to PC way of thinking, still adapting. Seems the old Panther can run a fair version of Firefox and that's it, there's no option to electronically upgrade to say Snow Leopard. Though I now see that too wouldn't provide a work environment.

Virtual Box (or dual boot) has always sounded interesting but as a developer I'm looking for a more solid solution. The old Mac Mini is nice to operate, I could get used to OSX... with Windows on the side (rFactor2!).

6. Zenout

Zenout Well-Known Member

Yes I think a CPU replacement would be required for Snow Leopard. Plus Finding the original DVD on eBay doesn't look cheap! I shall hope to resell this and purchase a G5.

To answer your question though, it's a 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 (just 512MB installed).

7. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    you need an intel based mac, no powerpc whatsoever..

the hardware requirements will go up not down.

you cant use the latest xcode on 10.6 .. so iOS 5 and soon 6 require an intel solution. and next year the spec will rise again and again.. so going for the lowest bargain bin mac is money not spend wisely.

then rather try virtual solutions.

8. Zenout

Zenout Well-Known Member

Initially I wanted to upload a file. So I'm still in limbo with that.

Yes the issue of not being able to run Xcode is why...I don't, and instead develop with C++ in Marmalade. There is the odd extension which I would like to enhance, and no Leopard will allow even that so I'm scratching my head right now.

Seems I need to get this back for sale then buy Lion DVD and spend a few more days virtualising it before finally uploading a photo to facebook uploading a binary to iTC.

Think I might as well just let that name go and think of a new one, this is all a bit silly.

9. Zenout

Zenout Well-Known Member

I have downloaded Xcode 1.5 (lol) for Panther, plus 2.x for Domestic Cat, but I'm not convinced that Snow Leopard is worth the price it's going for when Lion is a $20 download. I mean fair enough if I can develop extensions I will buy a G5 and Snow (after selling this relic!). Else, mr.Ugly is correct that my efforts with hardware are futile. Thanks for clearing up my confusion both of you.