Hunter Island: A New Pokemon Like Game from the Developers of Dragon Island

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ZigZaGame, Nov 13, 2012.

1. ZigZaGame

ZigZaGame Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Earth
    hey everyone, thanks for the comments!

as for the over world and dungeons, it will be tile based, we haven't come to a conclusion on how to "move" yet, we are leaning towards points of interest system used in Dragon Island as people seemed to like it based on user reviews. to be honest, we are not big fans of virtual dpads...

2. sandboxx

sandboxx Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2011
    To be honest I would prefer d-pad movement over the movement in dragon island blue. I feel like if you use the same movement you used in dragon island blue the games will be too similiar and there-by making a different version of dragon island blue rather than making a different game. I would prefer the d-pad movement. Just my opinion though

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I agree I'd prefer real movement instead of the point and click of dragon island. For me it didn't really feel like you were exploring anything just jumping from location to location.

Love the new art style though. I totally prefer the cartoon look over the real look of dragon island.

Edit: you don't need a virtual pad that's visable it could be done similar to how "sword of fargoal" does it.

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I MUCH prefer the touch movement as in Dragon Island Blue. And I'm not a fan of the virtual d-pad either. Also, something you'd lose with a d-pad is the ability to quickly move from one side of the map to the other when you've already explored around it. Best to take advantage of the touch nature of the device.

5. Jxsgamer

Jxsgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    USA
    I figure that the virtual D-pad would offer more exploration for those who seek it in a Pokemon game. The Point and Click kind of narrows down to only gameplay-wise.

I prefer D-pads, but just because I used to be core Pokemon-fan

6. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    Now this is my kind of beta.... Vast games = vast feedback

Pm sent

7. Dannyz2000

Dannyz2000 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    You can always have fast travel

8. Bparker

Bparker Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    A beta tester at home
    Atlantic, IA
    Not sure if I would rather tap to move or have a D-pad. I have to say it's grown on me to tap to move. I think that either way you make it I'll be happy since I'm sure its going to be a great game.

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2011
    You could for travelling between maps, but not when choosing different spots for monster hunting nor exploring a dungeon. The dungeon would be particularly tedious, considering how many branches there usually are.

The feature I'd REALLY like to see added is better monster management; specifically sorting options (e.g. by element, time to evolution, etc.) and associated filters.

10. streakerdj

streakerdj Member

Aug 24, 2012
    I would also be interested in beta testing. on the point of movement while i like d-pad movements others do not and im not a huge fan of dragon island's movement but it wasn't too bad. I personally think you could do some sort of d-pad in which its not stationary but appears where you touch and disappears when you aren't touching.

11. theflamecrow

theflamecrow Active Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Agreed.

The DIB move style is weird.... He doesn't go through doors and it looks kinda sloppy. (But great game besides that. :p) I would much prefer a walking animation if you do the DIB style of movement, as well as them going through doors vs. jumping over walls. It will look way more polished I think. :3

I'd love to beta test this new one when you guys get there! Looks awesome with the early concepts.

12. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    I would love to beta test.

13. Bluebear88

Bluebear88 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2012
    I don't have much experience beta testing, but I'd like the opportunity to help with this game. I majored in mathematics and have a real talent with logic and problem solving. I'm also very familiar with DIB, currently grinding for eggzactly>.<

14. ZigZaGame

Oct 25, 2010
    Earth
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

1. Graphics in General: Complete overhaul with tile based world map, dungeons and cities.

2. Walking animation: We absolutely agree it's horrible in DIB (its actually there:)). We will address this and perfect it.

3. Dpad VS. Destination Touch (system used in DI, I just made up the name): We are still on the fence about this one. We really hate virtual dpads,and want to come up with a different system more suitable for ios rpgs. Perhaps we could discuss how to improve the DI movement system?

If you guys have any other suggestions, things you'd like to see added to the game, please let us know. For now, here's 2 new monsters.

[​IMG]

15. imacb

imacb New Member

Nov 30, 2012
    I really liked the destination touch. Takes full advantage of a nice big touchscreen.

I feel like an easy compromise would be to have both options, let players choose which one they want to use from the settings menu.

I'm not a programmer so I don't know how hard it would be to incorporate both though!

16. Bluebear88

Aug 7, 2012
    What if instead of the Dpad option, we could use a swiping option? Swipe in the direction of the destination tile you'd like to move to. It may feel a little labor intensive but I think if the random battle sequencing is anything like DIB and it has the similar tile based maps then the swipemove is uniquely fitting to this stile of rpg, especially if the battle system has that same option.

Plus with the choice between destination touch and swipemove we would still maintain the convenience of ease of fast travel through maps and the immersion of actually feeling like we've "moved".

17. ZigZaGame

Oct 25, 2010
    Earth
    1. Having both options: the problem with having the dpad as an option isn't so much the programming side, its actually the game balance side. you will need to beat certain bosses and breeders to advance to another area. how could we do this with dpads? people can simply go "around" battles to advance, which will mess up the story and gameplay. we dont have a solution for this....

2. Swipe to move option: interesting, we can certainly look into it. do other games do this?

18. EnterNexus

EnterNexus Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012

I can really imagine the difficulty of implementing dpads, even though I wish we have that option very much, I would say swipe to move would be a great compromise. The only games I know of that does this is The LostWinds series, but it's an entirely different kind of game there, but i would say it might be a neat option. Playing DIB is great and all, and the whole moving between map by tapping thing make gaming so much more convenient and quick, and this truly fits in of being built for iOS thing, but in the process I don't really feel like I'm moving around in the game, just transporting from one area to another like a board game or something, which kinda sucks some fun out of it.

19. Bluebear88

Aug 7, 2012
    #39 Bluebear88, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
    I haven't played games with a true swipe to move. The closest I've seen to swipe to move was a drag to move, which in the end was really just a fancy destination move.

Edit: I am not a fan of the dpad idea, but if you worry about people skipping the mandatory fights I might have an idea. Although I'm not sure if this would fit into your construction of the maps, the bosses could be placed at "choke points", places where the player must travel through(bridges, hallways,... I see how you could run out of ideas here though). To further guarantee we could not skip the battle you could draw the proverbial line in the sand, which would trigger the battle when we are near the point of interest.

Edit 2: If you're taking monster suggestions, may I be the first to suggest a blue bear cub and grown up blue bear. The grown bear could be named Bär(German for bear) and be a water/ice beast. =D

20. EnterNexus

EnterNexus Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    "Choke Points".. hmm.. dont want to be a douche here, but, let's say, what if you implement Pokemon's solution? have an area where when entered, takes the control away from the player, shows a boss moving up, maybe saying something if you need it to, and then the battle commence? I have no idea how your maps are set out so i dont if this will work, but i just thought i should throw another idea on the table.