been rejected, this kind of app cannot be allowed?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by fwish, Oct 6, 2009.

1. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

#1 fwish, Oct 6, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    I made a free promotional app i.DecideSP to promot i.Decide,which is a decision maker

[​IMG]
    in i.DecideSP ,when user spin, the screen will seams cracked
    [​IMG]

this is a promo app based on i.Decide
    but has nothing to with decision maker.
    hey! do you want to pull a prank on your friends?
    tell them how handy to make decisions with i.Decide . it will do much better if you have the original version of i.Decide.
    Just show them i.Decide,Then discretely switch over to i.DecideSP and ask your friend to start it off. Unsuspectingly, the screen will appear cracked! Your friend will immediately think that your device is broken! All you have to do is shake the device to reset it.
    There are several other effects to keep the fun going!

but I got reject today

says below

Thank you for submitting your application to App Store. Unfortunately, your application, i.DecideSP, cannot be added to the App Store because it uses standard iPhone screen images in a non-standard way, potentially resulting in user confusion. Changing the behavior of standard iPhone graphics, actions, and images, or simulating failures of those graphics, actions, or images is a violation of the iPhone Developer Program License Agreement which requires applications to abide by the Human Interface Guidelines. Please refer to the attached screenshots as examples.

that mean this kind od app will not allowed?

what should I do?

edit in 11-4

I changed to when you touch the screen, the pointer will fly away,and after a month,it's finally out

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=333208454&mt=8

2. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    It's because it shows the screen cracking. Apple hasn't allowed that for awhile now. Remove the cracked screen image and it should be fine.

3. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

thanks ,but cracking thing is what this app all about

you mean remain the app, just remove the screenshot?

4. designxtek

designxtek Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2009
    3D Artist / Technical Artist / Web Developer
    San Diego, CA
    You have to remove that feature from the app. Removing the screen shot only will not get it approved. You have to remove the screen crack from the app entirely.

You can't display an iPhone failure of any kind. You can't use a iPhone image in your app that could be misrepresented. If you could get around by not using the crack screen then you should be fine. So you will have to find another alternative.

Could you explain more on why you display the crack? im not sure what your app is about from looking at the screen shots.

5. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    It seems a bit silly Apple won't allow that. It's not like anybody's going to believe their screen is cracked.

6. designxtek

Apr 30, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    You would be surprised lol

There are some people out there who would believe that they may have broke their phone on accident.

If you read technical support faqs you would see things like

Problem: If your computer has trouble turning on
    Solution: Make sure it is plugged in

7. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    I thought this app was all about making decisions...

8. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

here is what this app for

this is a promo app based on i.Decide
    but has nothing to with decision maker.
    hey! do you want to pull a prank on your friends?

tell them how handy to make decisions with i.Decide . it will do much better if you have the original version of i.Decide.

Just show them i.Decide,Then discretely switch over to i.DecideSP and ask your friend to start it off. Unsuspectingly, the screen will appear cracked! Your friend will immediately think that your device is broken! All you have to do is shake the device to reset it.

There are several other effects to keep the fun going!

this app is free,just to promot i.Decide,but if this cracking thing cannot be allowed this app is useless:(

9. designxtek

Apr 30, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    You are going to have to come up with another strategy with that.

One thing I can think of to savage your promo app is this:

i.DecideSP can test the personality type of the person holding the device. You can make up a fictional story like:

This app can determine the personality type by how the user holds the phone and detects the heart rate in the user's hand.

The personality type would be: "I am a good decision maker" or "I am indecisive person who can't make up my mind"

Explain the pros of someone who is a good decision maker.

Good decision maker leads to:
    Successful life.

Indecisive:
    Won't get anywhere in life because no decision is made.

Go up to a friend who thinks they are successful and play the joke on them.

Let iDecide run when you hold it and it points to you being a good decision maker therefore you are a successful person.

Then have a secret tap on the screen that triggers it into prank mode.
    Then when your friend holds it. It will keep on showing indecisive.

You can switch the trigger around so that others around you are decisive and your victim isn't.

But yeah just some ideas you can bounce off of this one. Just make sure you word the description right and let users know the app is fictional and just for fun so it isn't misleading.

Hope that helps

10. khangtoh

khangtoh Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Co-Founder/IPhone Dev @ LeftRight Studios
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wasn't there a story about someone downloaded an app that actually showed an image of a broken screen and he went to the Apple store trying to get a replacement for his "broken" iPhone?

11. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

thanks a lot

but maybe I will just let it go, because cracking thing make is fun and then be a good promot app, without it.I don't think it will do some good on promot i.Decide

hope i.Decide will be ready soon

thanks again

12. TouchGene

TouchGene Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    If this is just a promotional app leading up to the official iDecide (which I assume is essentially a "magic 8-ball" program), and your goal is to have the spinner not give a decision - just have it go haywire, let the arrow spin out of control and fly off of its hinge, or have the spinner board crack (not the screen, so it's ok) and fall apart.

Perhaps have it act like it can't hear you, so you'd hand it off to your buddy and tell him/her to ask a question only to have the app respond in a "huh?" or "what was that?" "say it louder!". I know the latter idea is harder to pull off since it is a spinner and not a slowly revealing answer, but the first one should work to introduce the app without giving away all of the features.

Maybe to add to my original suggestion, a person could flick the arrow (so it spins in the full app) but in the demo it just comes off, or breaks in half.

Point is, when there is a will - there is a way, don't give up. It is a good idea to come out with a free version so people will notice your creation when it comes out in its entirety.

13. designxtek

Apr 30, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I remember someone posting something about that. Not sure if its an official story.

14. saintsalive

saintsalive Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Playing pocket god! Oh, and other games.
    Pygmy Island
    It sorta is. Someone sent a complaint email to apple and they took it seriously. I bet the person was joking, but now this stupid rule is in place. I have an explosion app with a broken screen thingy and it's in the app store.

15. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

thanks ,Iwill try to find a way to do it

i.Decide has just ready for sale,

check it out http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=328302493&mt=8

16. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

I choose two words you said into the info of i.Decide
    Good decision maker leads to Successful life.

Indecisive won't get anywhere in life because no decision is made.
    I think those words are amazing

17. designxtek

Apr 30, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    haha nice glad I could help :D

18. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    instead of screen cracking, you might have mermaids swimming all over the screen, so you'd promote two apps at the same time :D

19. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

haha ,very funny :p

20. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

I uploaded i.DecideSP, this time, no cracked thing, just when you touch the pointer, it will fly away,thanks for all your guys help. you make it come true.
    very grateful about that

hope you can see it soon, and it's totally free:D