Universal DODONPACHI MAXIMUM (by CAVE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Looks a lot like Danmaku.

2. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Transparent enemies. Is this a joke,a bug? No way, I cant buy this game.

3. picoro

picoro Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    this is the best cave game ever.I can not stop playing

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Thread title says that it's Universal.

So psyched for this...

And yeah, the enemies are supposed to look like they do; it's meant to be a simulator, which is why everything looks like some old-school 80's Lawnmower Man type graphic setup. I love the look of it, will definitely make it easier to focus on bullets...

Really... PSYCHED. I was almost ready to buy a Windows phone a while back just because of this game. =oP

5. Me too if it is indeed universal. I love cave games and like how they usually have early adopter sales. So if it is universal, count me in

6. japtor

japtor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    The iTunes page (other regions are up if you search for it) says it's universal.

7. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Never realized Sanuku was so good at shmups. Nice going!

8. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Yeah right that was epic to watch! No need to play it now for me, there's no way I can get anywhere near that performance on the FIRST EVER DAMN PLAY! Nicely done and thanks for the video man!

9. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Can't wait to play this.

Umm it is...

10. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
  11. japtor

japtor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Out in the US now. The Uo Poko inspired ship is a nice bit of fan service if you like Dangun Feveron.

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    This has to be the weirdest thread I've seen on TA in a long, long time. Repeated "is it universal?" questions when it's right there in the title, complaints about transparent enemies and apparently now this is either a Danmaku Unlimited clone or is actually part of another series of games. >_>

The hell people? It's a CAVE shooter. Do you really need to know more? Maybe it's because they don't have their $4.99 launch sale from back in the day anymore, but man...you'd expect this thread to have blown up with fans by now.

13. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    instabuy errr bought lol.. now downloading! Ima sucker for these cave bullet hell games, (emphasis on Cave's games )

14. japtor

japtor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    If anyone is curious about how this runs on iPhone 4, it actually runs pretty well. The other HD games were too choppy for my tastes, particularly with more bullets/later levels, but this one stays pretty consistent.

15. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
  16. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    Having played this on WP, i was waiting for the iOS port and it is lovely! I've always loved how CAVE adds little new things to each version, like the hidden BGM in DDPR & Bug Princess. The Dangun Feveron ship is nice and is not present on the WP version :D plus two more ships to unlock. There are minute touches to the frame surrounding the play area too (Hint: It's not static). Runs smoothly on iphone 4 with retina graphics and the remixed music is nostalgic. This is more suited for mobile play compared to the other CAVE games. There are leaderboards for individual stages, just how alot of people have been asking them to be. And the game can be played easily with one hand. This has to be the best game to get started with bullet hell. The scoring mechanics are pretty simple with no buttons to press, no changing shot types. As for the graphic style, it is a highly subjective thing. I personally love the detailing! I hope CAVE releases more original smartphone games. Bug Panic was great and so is this. I think CAVE has got it right on almost all the fronts with this one as far as Bullet hell on smartphones goes. Keep it up!

17. #37 Connector, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    That's what I meant, looks like Danmaku unlimited. And no, there is no implied meaning that it is a clone.

18. #38 Connector, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    Oh I get it now, this was taken as a comment of being a Danmaku unlimited clone.

I got the joke since I knew the meaning of the word.

Ok, now I am understanding this thread. No clone talk here.

I am buying the game tomorrow after I hear a couple more comments and view a few more youtube vids. I have Almost every cave game and look forward to this one cause it has a little different flavor to it.

19. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm impressed. This is not your average CAVE game. After playing it for a while, you can really tell they designed this less as a quirky and visually stunning arcade eye-candy fest, and more of a refined and pure bullet-hell highscore chasing mobile title.

My reasoning:
    - Bullets have extra visual pop, especially in contrast.
    - Non-distracting (visually) enemies and stages
    - Vocal callouts that tell you when your power laser is ready
    - Highly visible combo timer (the blue bar at the right)
    - Highly visible hitbox
    - Self-adjusting difficulty through multiple paths and bosses

The best way I can describe it, is if CAVE were to remake rRootage.

20. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    How do you lguys like this compares to others?

I know I've been down on Cave lately, but this one looks interesting to me cause of the "clean" style to me. From the video of the easy mode, looks like something I may enjoy more.