Beats headphones.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, May 17, 2014.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    OK, so personally, I hate them. Not so much because I don't like the sound - which I find middle of the road - but because the folks who buy them are really buying into marketing.

But besides that, one of my best friends who was a engineer at HP for 30 years told me that in a magazine for sound professionals, he read that the actual cost of parts to make Beats headphones is $14 - $34 based on model. Add in Chinese labor, and you have the manufacturing cost.

Now, I don't claim to be a sound engineer, but for 30+ years I have been a DJ, and for 19 years I worked in TV, running sound for the news. And I can tell you this, I own a set of Sony headphones that costs $49 that blow the Beats out of the water. Even the TV station used Sony Studio headsets that cost about $100.

Granted, Beats does look a whole lot better, but is it really worth all that extra money to look cool?

I will also admit, that I have fallen for the hype before.... I have a few BOSE products that I overpaid for...... but the one thing about Bose is the awesome customer service. I have had a few things go wrong with my Bose products, but Bose has never charged me a dime to fix anything.

I wonder if Dr. Dre will spot you the cash for any repair bills? ;)

2. I like Sony X10's alot better. But to each it's own

3. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I'm pretty sure half the people with Beats knows that it's not quality. From those I've talked with them, it's mainly for the look. Personally I'd rather a nice pair of Sennheisers but we all have our reasons.

4. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    If you asked me ten years ago I'd have said yes, I knew I was paying more for the brand, not the quality so much, but I was young and wanted to be cool.
    If you ask me now I'll say no way. I have a set of so y headphones that cost 50 quid but I had a half price voucher so on,y paid 25 and I really love them,

5. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

May 16, 2014
    School
    Florida, USA
    I agree

They are not anything that special. Everyone gets them instead of Sony's or Logitech because Dr.Dre "made" them. I know he did not make them but he represents them I guess you would say. Since Dr.Dre made them, Beats headphones have more "swag".

I could use some Marshalls though, hehe :D

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    It's like Skullcandy, you're paying for the label. Sound quality is average at best.

7. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I'd say invest in the best set of Sennheisers/Sonys that you can easily afford (and won't be too upset when you eventually break them). I tend to use a set of Sennheiser 275s out and about mostly because in-ears are just more portable and I like having the mic for calls etc.

8. Redman5006

Redman5006 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Skullcandy 50/50's.

9. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    #9 Papa Deuce, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    Follow up.... ( and the reason I am following up is that I had a guy at the phone store trying ever so hard to tell me that Beats headphones were made of the highest quality parts, and were worth every penny. ) That was yesterday, and then I saw this article today.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/beats-fools-thinking-headphones-high-end-luxurious-133039242.html

Snippet:

Additionally, and as anyone who has purchased Beats headphones can attest, the ridiculously excessive and elaborate packaging, while wholly unnecessary if not downright frustrating, also serves to create the illusion that you’ve just purchased a truly high-end quality product. Incidentally, Louie’s writes that the costs of materials used in a pair of $200 Beats headphones comes out to about $16.90 (not including R&D or labor costs). Still, those are some margins that even Apple has to be impressed with.

10. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    If you are interested in some quality headphones - a couple of web sites that will help you a lot -

Headphone.com
    head-fi.org

tons of information, reviews, forums, sales, etc.

if you want quality classifieds for all sorts of audiophile equipment, audiogon.com has been around a long, long time and you can find some great deals there if you are patient. Also people are very happy to answer serious questions about equipment.

That all being said - Beats are expensive because the market will bear it. There are many, many alternatives (some around $25) that outperform Beats... but for the people that love them - good for them. I am sure there are people in the world that love their Yugo cars as well....

11. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

12. Spin-Doctor

Spin-Doctor Member

Jun 22, 2015
    Very happy with my Grado's. Those beats don't even look good anymore - I literally cannot think of one reason to buy them. I was at CES last year and tried SMS audio's and they look / sound MUCH better imo.