Rimelands: Hammer of Thor - a 3D RPG by Dicework and Crescent Moon Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by dicework, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dicework

dicework Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Game Developer
    Finland
    #1 dicework, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
    Rimelands: Hammer of Thor is an upcoming RPG for iPhone from Dicework Games in collaboration with Crescent Moon Games (the developer of Ravensword).

Website

It's a turn-based game, with both pre-designed and random generated dungeons, a non-class level system with three different paths, each with their own talents. You can mix up these paths to create numerous different character builds.

The game mechanics are designed to be very easy to learn, but also complex enough to ensure lots of interesting gameplay.

The story doesn't involve kingdoms in distress or boastful dark lords, but is rather a reminiscent of pulp adventures. There is magic, but there are also flintlocks and all kinds of steampunk paraphernalia.

As for the art -- well, I think the screenshots pretty much establish that :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More screenshots

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I'm getting a bit of a Nausicaa vibe here. Needless to say, that would be very, very good.

3. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Ah, the thread finally got created. Looks good, I like the comic style of what I'm presuming to be the intro. Hopefully this will be the first decent turn-based RPG to come out.

Is there any info on the battle system? That's what I'm generally the most curious about in a turn-based RPG.

Now that you mention it, I can see the similarities.

4. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    ooo, this does look to be interesting

5. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Looks very interesting. But what do we have to look forward to in terms of combat and exploration? Single character/party? Puzzles? Etc.
    I strongly disagree with the notion that there aren't any decent turn-based RPGs out... but it is true that none of them have high-quality tactical combat.

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    RANDOM LEVELS? I'm interested! :D

7. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Just out of curiosity, what decent turn-based RPGs are there? I will probably disagree with you, but there might be the odd one that I haven't heard of.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    He's talking about the Quest and perhaps Undercroft, both of which are turn based, neither of which is very tactical. Funny thing is, there's actually a pretty decent turn-based tactical combat game (in the spirit of FF:Tactics and Disgaea) called Rebirth of Fortune; unfortunately, it lacks all the other trapping of a quality RPG.

9. dicework

dicework Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Game Developer
    Finland
    Single character, roguelikish (i.e. you move once, enemies move once), some puzzle elements.

The three level paths all support different play styles and tactics, which can be mixed. The first path leans more towards melee / aggressive play, the second is geared to ranged, mobile combat / stealth play, etc.

10. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    This game looks definately interesting.

The main point of turn-based RPGs is the storyline. Please, remember genre classics like KotOR where storyline was just magical.
    I was surpsrised seeing this game in 3D - for me even 2D would be good enough, if I liked whole gameplay.

Decitive will be video, so far - first thought, Dungeon Siege: LoD? :)

11. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Oh right, yeah I personally didn't enjoy those that much. I have Rebirth of Fortune (as well as Song Summoner), but they don't really have that much RPG-ness about them.

KOTOR was brilliant, as well as most of Bioware's RPGs (I enjoyed the NWN storylines the most, personally)

Though isn't Dungeon Siege real-time?

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #12 squarezero, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
    Don't disagree about Rebirth of Fortune (or the Quest, for that matter, though I did have fun with Undercroft). It would be great if someone bought the RoF engine and just wrapped a decent RPG around it.

It is.

13. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    How is Undercroft? I've played The Quest, and heard the two were quite similar in style. From the videos, it didn't look all that impressive to me.

Yeah, well they've had an update for RoF, with proper backgrounds, but I'm not sure what else has changed apart from that.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    The background make a difference in the tactical aspect of the game (and they look nice), but otherwise the game is basically unchanged. Undercroft is more linear and has more of a sense of humor than the Quest, and the party mechanics are appreciated, but if you're not into western style of turn-based RPGs then it will probably not appeal to you so much.

Back on topic -- Rimelands has the potential to be a stand out. Really looking forward to more screens/video.

15. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Yes. Does look VERY interesting. I thought of Dungeon Siege, too. One of my all-time favorite games. Funny thing, KOTOR actually IS my favorite game. :) Both games got mentioned in this thread.

16. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    I'm not sure where the comparisons from Dungeon Siege are coming from, myself, apart from the fact that it's a dungeon crawler, of which there are many.

KOTOR is one of my favourites too, it's sad that there won't be a KOTOR 3, but an MMORPG instead :(

17. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I'll be looking forward to this.

Off topic: I've never given Undercroft much thought, I'll have to look at it closer.

18. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I can't see the screenshots :confused::confused:

19. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Well, I suggest downloading the generous Lite and playing it on normal difficulty.

IMHO, the sprites are quite pretty, the music is good and varied, the party mechanic does add to the character developement aspect and the dungeons have all the old-school goodness like secret passages, illusionary walls, traps, pits and puzzles, that I miss in modern games.

Yes, it is not as tactical as it could have been (but certainly more than The Quest) and the story is just a basic excuse for adventuring, but all in all it is a good game that is criminally overlooked IMHO.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    That sounds just about right to me.