iPhone Shadowrun Returns

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by squarezero, Apr 4, 2012.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    We're not supposed to link to Kickstarter pages, but here's the skinny:

For those not familiar with the Shadowrun universe, it's a mash up of Lord of the Rings and Blade Runner. It has a rich history that extends from pen-&-paper RPGs to excellent console RPGs for the SNES and Genesis, to tie-in novels, and to a terrible FPS for the XBox 360 (which Jordan Weisman had nothing to do with). The Kickstarter description will make any SRPG fine salivate.

The really cool news is that thr devs have raised half of their $400,000 ask in one day, so this is basically gonna happen. I'll try emailing Jordan's team to see if they can jump in on this thread more news.

The video on the Kickstarter page is pretty funny, BTW.

2. Matt Flo

Matt Flo New Member

Mar 27, 2012
    I think the shadowrunner universe is really interesting. I only got but a taste of that though since I only played the "shitty" FPS :p I think that the gameplay wasn't actually too bad; the game was underrated. I'm sure the old RPGs were much better though. It sort of made me laugh how they made fun of it in the video(haha).

3. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    WOOT!!
    this better come out!

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    You may be right about the Shadowrun FPS. I think most folks were just disappointed with the shallow gameplay (compared to the RPGs).

5. Alyindar

Alyindar Well-Known Member

#5 Alyindar, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
    Always been a big fan of the Shadowrun universe, almost all of the original FASA properties really. Weisman sounds really passionate about this project, can't wait to see it come to fruition!

Edit: The video was pretty funny, particularly fruit flying at the producer for that crappy Xbox shooter!

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I would read the whole description in Kickstarter, but basically it will be a 2D strategic RPG set in a near-future, cyberpunk world where magic and science co-exist. You can find more information here.

7. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #7 Bool Zero, Apr 5, 2012
    Yeah, I posted this much earlier on the general board, but posted with the link to the kickstarter site! Got a nice little slap on the hand for it from the mods too, nothing harsh though!

In any case it will be a remake of the SNES version, albeit with some additional content and story and the PC version will have a level editor so that players can create and share their own missions.... For any who were too young and never played or missed the chance to play the old Shadowrun games on the SNES and Genesis, there are plenty of videos and a deep seeded love for this franchise and the games they made from the PnP tabletop game!

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Actually, it is not a remake of the SNES version, but an original game in the same universe. You are correct about the level editor, though, which is pretty great news.

9. Xianricca

Xianricca Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Why the slap on the wrist? Big game trying to get funding, what better place then these forums?

10. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    #10 Dahak, Apr 5, 2012
    This is great news! I actually had to make sure the original post date wasn't April 1st. ;)

At any rate, Shadowrun and sister game Earthdawn were two of my favorite paper RPGs in the mid-1990s. I probably spent a grand on sourcebooks, novels etc. Very happy to see a new digital version that won't be under Microsoft's thumb.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    By now it's old news, but might as well note it here, too. Shadowrun Returns is now fully funded (and then some) and definitely in the works. Sometime you've gotta love the Internet ;).

12. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Indeed. They should have asked for more.

Looks like they'll easily cross a million or two, hopefully this will factor into higher production values and scope of the game. never played the original but am highly interested in this one.