Radnor (Nostalgia-driven action-adventure game)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by tgdesign, Jan 21, 2014.

1. tgdesign

tgdesign Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Radnor is a fantasy themed action-adventure game in which players navigate a desolate land as a hero named Radnor. Players control Radnor from an overhead perspective and must navigate him through the world and its numerous dungeons, defeating enemies and finding secrets along the way.

THE STORY
    LEGEND OF THE BIFIST: thousands of years ago, the Great Kingdom came under attack by a dark force threatening to destroy everything. As a result, a group called the Elders Six created a magical entity to protect the lands, now known as the Bifist. For hundreds of years, it protected the kingdom until a traitor within stole the Bifist and sealed it away forever, resulting in the collapse of the kingdom and the disappearance of the dark force.

UNEARTHED: the story picks up 2000 years later after the Kingdom of Talerika is abruptly destroyed by an unknown force. However, among the chaos, a group of survivors find each other and set out in search of a new place to re-establish their lost home. After a majority decision, Radnor and Beliita, two of Talerika's strongest fighters, split off from the group in search of the Lost Tomb of the Bifist in hopes of protecting their future kingdom. The search is successful, but the duo learn that the tomb is sealed and can only be opened with the five key fragments. Beliita, having been injured upon entering the tomb, leaves Radnor with the monumental task of finding the fragments.

*The game is heavily inspired by the original Legend of Zelda, gameplay and perspective-wise
    *players have been tasked with finding five key fragments. When a new game is started, these five fragments will be randomly placed in 5 of 11 different dungeons. This means no one playthrough will be the same
    *there will be no map to help players navigate the world and its dungeons
    *currently, there are 7 different enemy types in the game. Each has been designed to require a different tactic to beat
    *players can only save their progress in the "safe zone." If players die, the save will be reloaded and progress up to that point will be lost
    *One of the biggest complaints about mobile games is that the controls and UI cover the screen, impeding the players view of the action. I created an interface with this in mind. By making the play screen smaller, I've made room for the dpad and action buttons, as well as the inventory (not shown), without blocking the players sight.

Kickstarter Link
    Article about the game

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I really like the look of this! I enjoyed your game Light the Way as well :)

It's amazing how quickly the campaign was funded!

3. tgdesign

tgdesign Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Thanks! Also, here's a quick preview of navigation! Still early, but I'm aiming for something along these lines

http://youtu.be/xmEJ4Gmq3Hw

How do you embed videos?

4. Cynuyt

Cynuyt Well-Known Member

Need to see more about this.

5. tgdesign

tgdesign Member

Feb 8, 2013
    I'm currently working on the "overworld" map at the moment, but I'd love to answer any questions you have about the project!

6. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I'm honestly not sure either haha. I've been on here for quite a while but I've always just put in the links.

And in regard to the navigation: I think your guy should stay in the center of the screen, so there's not a strange jolt of camera movement every time you reach an edge. Like in the Pokemon games.

7. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Is this going to be an actual map the player uses? Because I remembered you saying there would be no maps (or something like that) in the kickstarter page.

Or is it just you planning it out?

8. tgdesign

tgdesign Member

Feb 8, 2013
    I can see how that would be confusing! By "overworld map," I mean the world the players navigate in the game. I'm still fine-tuning dungeon placements, art choices, and more on some areas. Collision still needs some work as well, but things are getting there!

Also, you are correct. There won't be a map readily available in-game to help players navigate!

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines

10. tgdesign

tgdesign Member

Feb 8, 2013
    #10 tgdesign, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    Hey guys, been busy with life the past couple of days so no new news right now. However, heres a WIP pic of a dungeon in the game. Thanks!

EDIT: The image is too large, so I provided a link!
    http://imgur.com/rE2qz3r