Should I upgrade for the sake of AR?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by RazvanClau, Sep 22, 2017.

1. RazvanClau

RazvanClau Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hello,

Is AR a worthwhile reason to upgrade?

I use an iPhone 6 + iPad Mini 4. Neither qualifies for the AR functions in IOS 11. Does it feel like a gimmick in IOS 11 or it is actually a major new feature in gaming and in the way we interact with our phones in general? Both devices I own are one year old and I was planning to upgrade them in one year from now. Am I'm missing out on anything major?

2. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    If you won't upgrade for another year, may as well wait and see till then. Plus, dunno if you're going to be able to get a new iPhone soon anyways due to the usual supply woes.

3. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    I'm still not entirely sure what ARkit adds - since I've had AR apps installed ever since my first iPhone (3GS)....

4. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    I've tried this on a couple of apps with my 10.5 inch iPad Pro. It's not useful enough to update solely for that purpose. I feel the same with the 3D effect on the Nintendo 3DS; it's cool but it just seems to be a gimmick.

5. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Guys AR will be a whole lot more than a gimmick it's not even been a week since ios11 released
    give it time AR has the ability to be useful in many areas besides just gaming although I do think
    gaming AR will get much better soon

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I wouldn’t upgrade yet. As the post above says AR games will probably be really good eventually but at the moment it just seems like gimmicky type of games. I’ll sit out a year and then maybe get an iPhone 9 whenever that’s out

7. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Right now I’m on 6s plus still but I have a iPhone 5s I keep with iOS9 that way I can play older games on that don’t work anymore on newer devices
    That’s the best strategy if you can do it you can even prolly get an older device for Cheap and then only use it for gaming then that way you can have one device with ios11
    11 is very good it’s more than just AR

8. Darkfyra

Darkfyra Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2017
    Supposedly my old iPad Air don’t have access to AR so I can’t even try out any of the games using AR,sigh it’s not like my parents will allow me to buy a more recent one.

9. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #9 bigrand1, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Yeah, no reason to upgrade solely for the AR apps available so far. After awhile, there will be more for sure, but for now, in your case, I’d hold off. I just bought a new iPad Pro with 256GB and I did do it, but I DO kinda regret it! Lost many great games I love now that they’re not supported anymore, and that SUCKS, but trying to recoup as many as I can on my Android device, though many aren’t available. All in all, I guess I’ll live through it. I’d think twice before doing it, then then one more time, though, if I were you! Trying to get used to the App Store the way it is now, but no biggie. Digging the fact that I now have 256GB to play with!! No more not being able to download the newest games anymore! :D:D:D

10. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    What a crap this AR it’s even worse than 3DTV, for children this could be a gimmick but for a few minutes only.

11. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    It is! You’re better off investing $15 on the Merge Cube! Works with ANY phone, and it has a few really cool apps for it, though it’s only been out for a few weeks as well, so it’s also in its infancy as well. But bang-for-your-buck-wise, you can’t go wrong! I got one! You can get one at Walmart!

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah totally feel that way ! Games 'could' be good but in the early days it'll just be gimmicky type of stuff i reckon

13. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I’m not ruling out the possibility that someone might one day work out a good use for AR on a phone or tablet, but I’ve seen no evidence that it’s happened yet. Definitely not worth upgrading for.