Beezaster

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by j.edwards, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j.edwards

j.edwards Member

May 10, 2010
    [​IMG]

Hi everyone,

Beezaster is a side scrolling action/strategy game due to be released in the next few weeks.

Story: the Princess of your Hive has been captured by the evil bee known as Beezerk. It spells doom for your Hive community if you can't get her back. You must find and rescue her from the evil Beezerk. Complete a variety of unique missions as you tackle Beezerk's armies and attempt to rescue the Princess of your Hive.

Some missions can have specific goals like rescuing an injured Solider Ant and protecting him all the way back to your hive, but generally speaking you need to build an army of Ants to defend your own hive while using your Bumble Bee to coordinate attacks on the enemy and attempt to capture their hive. You get Worker Bees to collect Pollen which can be used to recruit other units such as Ants and Mosquito Launchers etc. The AI gets harder as the levels progress.

Here are a few brief videos of the gameplay:

There's a bit more info on the website www.beezaster.com as well.

2. rooteboy

rooteboy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Student/Beta Tester
    Earth......for now
    looks good :)

3. j.edwards

j.edwards Member

May 10, 2010
    Thanks. Although, judging by the lack of comments I assume it's probably not the best idea for a game - maybe I need to add some zombies or something :) In fact, I'm working on a second game and think I'll post it up sooner rather than later this time to start trying to get some feedback and suggestions going.

4. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Will the second game involve zombies?

5. j.edwards

j.edwards Member

May 10, 2010
    :) No, well that wasn't the plan. Will that make it more appealing though? I'll hopefully get some videos and screenshots together to post by the end of the week.

6. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  7. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
  8. j.edwards

j.edwards Member

May 10, 2010
    #8 j.edwards, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
    Beezaster is going to be available on the App Store tomorrow. If anyone is interested in a promotional code I have 5 to give away, so please reply here and the first 5 to reply will get one. If you get one of these codes, please be kind enough to provide some feedback.

Also, they are only redeemable in the US App Store according to what I just read from the Apple site, so please only respond if you can actually make use of them.

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #9 LordGek, May 14, 2010
    Looks cute but I probably should pass if not randomized and scoreless.

10. j.edwards

j.edwards Member

May 10, 2010
    Hi LordGek, thanks for the comment. The level structure is currently based on following a story and going through predefined scenario. The actual gameplay within each level is a lot more random though as there are random aspects of the AI you play against, as well as the randomness of the person playing, so each time you play the same level it would be quite different. In fact I may have put a bit too much effort into the AI because I had trouble beating it for some videos on the higher levels :(

But, as you suggest, something I will look at adding for a future version is the ability to just start a randomized game, no story etc, just choose difficulty and map size and start.

Personally I didn't think scoring mattered much for this type of game, or maybe it was just I wasn't sure how you would go about scoring it. However, will need to give that more thought. The only thing I can think of at the moment is to work out the score once a level is complete so you get bigger score for completing a level quicker, and perhaps for using less units, and maybe some bonus for the pollen you have left over. Actually, maybe you lose points if you drop an ant over the top of water and they drown - yeah, perhaps negative points for killing your army through neglect. Will think about it more.

11. Aussie2

Aussie2 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    #11 Aussie2, May 14, 2010
    I agree, doodle zombies would be awesome!

With regards to the game, I think it looks pretty neat. The whole story thing reminds me of angry birds