iOS Beat Em Ups

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Gryphon, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    What are the best beat em ups on iOS?

2. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego

I feel like ios is missing a truly great title like TMNT turtles in time, or castle crashers even. A great coop beatemup double dragon style with jump in/jump out online multiplayer is badly wanted by me. But here are some that I think are very good in their own right.

Spider-Man total mayhem (awesome)
    Omg pirates
    Fangz (guns)
    Streets of rage 2
    Zombieville usa2(guns)

3. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Uhmmm...where's Street Fighter? If you can handle the controls (I can't :p) this is probably THE beat em up on iOS.

Oh and I second Total Mayhem. One of Gameloft's best, just be sure to use the no-sound fix for iOS 6. Just close the app reopen from multitasking.

4. Gryphon

Feb 24, 2012
    Street fighter is a fighter not a beat em up

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    What's the difference?

6. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    SMTA Was awesome, just wish it was universal... :( I got it when I had my iPod touch 4g, so now I need to buy it again...

7. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    A fighter is one vs one. Beat em up is one versus many.

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    In most ways these are Beat Em Ups, and good ones at that.

The Gods
    Brandnew Boy
    AVP Evolution
    Wraithborne

9. !!!!

Attached Files:

10. Germy_Wermy

Germy_Wermy Active Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Mutant Fridge Mayhem - Gumball is pretty fun as well! Don't be out off by the seemingly 'kiddish' style and setting. It's actually a great beat 'em up!

11. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Ohhhh...

Oops :eek: mixed my videogame terms there.

12. Montanx

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    This was my reaction too. There's very few things that piss me off more than when I'm going through a list of games in a blog or review site and "fighting games" are mixed with "beatemups". Double dragon and mortal Kombat are not in the same genre!!! Arghh blarghjj rageeeeeeeee!!!!

13. Gryphon

Feb 24, 2012
    Is the golden axe port any good?

14. Gryphon

Feb 24, 2012
    iOS needs a port of a classic beat em up like turtles in time.

15. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    There is X-Men though apparently the multiplayer is broken.

16. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Agreed that this genre is sorely lacking on ios. If someone did it right it would go off.
    Beatdown is fun in small doses. Heavily influenced from DD.
    Fist of Awesome comes out this month which I think will be crazy good.

17. #17 Slipshod Games, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
    At the risk of sounding like a total shill, my iOS BEU, Trigger City, is coming out next Monday the 13th. I'm a bit strapped for promo codes at the moment having sent quite a few to reviewers, but I'm going to try and reclaim a few unused ones by mid week and post them in this thread.

I certainly can't claim that it's the best BEU on iOS but I created it as a BEU fan who loved River City Ransom growing up and wanted to play something that blended action and RPG elements while placing particular emphasis on the combos and controls since they tend to make or break these titles on a touch screen.

You can check out the gameplay trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqJZ7spdezc

Attached Files:

18. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    The only good beat-em-up game I've found is the original Final Fight. Shame they didn't port over 2 and 3.
    Streets of rage is complete crap compared to final fight. Downright atrocious sound effects that makes your ears bleed (they use some kind of screech sound when you hit enemies that resembles nails on a chalkboard), no infinite lives option, jerky animations, and weird characters/generic enemies (old man with some kind of roller blades/jetpack thing that propels him forward o_O ). Basically inferior to final fight in every possible way.
    Beatdown by ravenous games is an example of a game where the developers simply said "ok, it's playable, let's publish it". No upgrades, no moves other than a punch, and the generic enemies cast - a melee guy and a ranged guy. Every level is exactly the same length. Hell it's questionable that the game can even be considered to have "different levels" as every single one is identical except for different background pictures. You basically just tap the same attack button for the entire game. It's easy to fall asleep within 2-3 levels of playing this game.
    Com2us's third blade is a beat-em-up with RPG elements like levels/stats/equipment. But it sacrifices the actual gameplay for those RPG elements as the fighting part is rather subpar. Still it's better than streets of rage or beatdown.

19. Montanx

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Streets of rage 2 is awesome. Final fight is aight too but SOR2 is superior.

20. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I agree. This is probably the best beat 'me up I've found on iOS.