Universal Need for Speed™ Most Wanted - (by EA) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I would love to know how you've done this.
    I've been trying for hours, and I still haven't made Bronze on the Agera R Hot Ride.

I do really like the game, but they are simply too hard.i don't believe I'm a hardcore racing game veteran, but neither am I completely incompetent, I'm quite sure.
    Maybe you've been very lucky?

2. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    You're right, it's a great satisfaction when I beat a hard track, but when I have to spend over 60000 gold on mods on a hot ride, and still can't get bronze, there's something wrong with the difficulty.

As I stated before, when EA doesn't think it's enough to just give a hard time limit, but have to deduct time for every little error and scratch of a wall or nudge of a cop car on top of the time you actually lose because you're loosing speed by doing this, it just have to be a push to buy iAP in a premium priced game.

I've been playing NFS games since the very first game in the early nineties, and none of the games have been even remotely as hard.
    Not. Even. Close!

3. theLorax

theLorax Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Is it good to cause damage to other racers? How does the damage gauge work exactly?

4. iJoashFoo

iJoashFoo Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Singapore
    Wow. Just golded the Veyron hot ride a few hours ago. Also grinded some achievements and now I've got all the cars besides the Most Wanted editions. This was a really hard game overall, especially towards the end- arguably harder than the final police chase in the original Most Wanted.

5. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #585 Rip73, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
    You make a very fair point, the difficulty of some is indeed very high.
    Two events in particular are frustrating me greatly.

But no amount of iap will change the difficulty. If after spending that much on mods, it must be obvious that it has more to do with positioning car correctly on the track and strategising against the cop cars rather than spending more and more.

My advice (and its only advice, it may or may not work) is recognise which mod gets the lowest time and then concentrate on track position, whether a shortcut is worth it or not (sometimes they'll scrub more speed off if you skid while making a sharp turn to take them) and remember cop car positioning and save nitro for avoiding them.
    I'm not denying your opinion as it is valid in relation to difficulty, but try and look for a solution that doesn't involve iap because it is there.

I hope it comes across that I'm trying to help you out rather than just troll disagree with you, I just do believe that track position has more to do with it than iap buying mods. Good luck with it if you try out any of my above advice.

6. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    :)
    Yeah, I don't want to keep raving about the difficulty, I guess I'm just getting a bit frustrated.. :)

I realize it must be possible, as lots of people here have completed the game, and I have had a couple of near perfect runs, just to have it ruined on the last furlong by a cop ambush or slight misjudgment resulting in a crash into oncoming traffic... :mad:

I just wished they'd tweaked the times needed to complete the hot rides and/or made the rest of the stages available without having to complete the hot rides...

Consider my steam blown off, and thanks for the suggestions. :)

7. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Ok, well after not touching this game for two whole days, I went right in and got a 1.18.00 to get bronze on my first try, and second try I got a 1.11.80. My fastest is 1.09.59. Of course, I used two mods. Top speed and acceleration.

So I'd say it was rather easy getting the bronze with the mod. Unless there's something wrong with the game on your device, it shouldn't be too much of a problem...not as much as you make it out to be at least!

PS: If it matters, I use the default control scheme.

8. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Wow, really THAT hard?

9. iJoashFoo

Oct 24, 2011
    Singapore
    Yes, THAT hard.

The new car in the Most Wanted dealership is the 911 Carrera S. It has equal stats to the Gallardo. Can't say black does it justice though.

10. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Phew!!
    Finally made it through and got bronze. 1:17.81. No mods, didn't want to waste more money on them...
    I have to say, you must be very good at this game.

I think one element of my difficulty with this game is the control scheme.
    I tried tilt, but it just doesn't work for me at all in this game. Tried with various sensitivity adjustments to no avail.

The touch control is also terrible IMO compared to games like RR2 and the Asphalt games, it's just not precise enough for me, too twitchy.
    I'm playing on the iPad, which may also feel substantially different than the iPhone.

Btw, some people here have mentioned that they save some nitro to be able to escape from the cops. How do you save on the nitro?
    When I'm using it, it gets used up no matter what, unless I use the brake pedal, which I certainly doesn't want to do, especially not on the iPad, as it sits in the middle of the screen, which is near to impossible to reach while playing this fast and twitchy game, also, often the brake pedal on the iPad get falsely recognized as the steering wheel.

Give me arrows on one side, or an arrow on either side of the screen and make the drift like on Asphalt 7, and I think I would be a happy camper, and I think I would have a far easier and enjoyable romp on the Hot Rides section of NFS.

Well, now I finally made it through the Agera R Hot Ride, I can continue through the stages, at least until the next Hot Ride. :)

11. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    My trick is...never use nitro into sharp corner...and as a rule of thumb, I always use nitro coming out of corners. This maximizes its effect. I don't really care about the cops tbh. But yeah, if they're too hot on my tail, I'll burn the nitro up. But to get gold, I think nitro usage is supposed to be efficient, so no I don't use it against the cops. Just evade will do.

PS: Btw I use an iPad, not iPhone :)

12. Dan't Ponic

Dan't Ponic Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Antarctica
    #592 Dan't Ponic, Nov 5, 2012
    EA also have to think about the songs on the next update.
    There are people who dislike rock n' roll.

Actually I hateeeeeeeeeeee rock n' roll!

And the only music that I listen in the game is Crosses - Telepathy,
    which is exactly the last, what compels me every time pass all the songs to get there!

:mad:

What could be done to make it more functional?

13. iJoashFoo

Oct 24, 2011
    Singapore
    Just listen to your own music. Don't bash on music genres you dislike, they are just creating an upbeat atmosphere to race in.

14. underage17

underage17 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I've got the original Most Wanted's OSTs on my iPad and play all the songs on shuffle while im racing. Try it, it's fun

On another note, I like the touch controls much more than tilt. For me, it's more precise. And tilting an iPad isn't the easiest thing

15. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #595 Rip73, Nov 5, 2012
    Congrats

In relation to the iPad iPhone comment, there is a bit of difference in them. I've very different sensitivity options on them, higher on iPhone than iPad.

And I also had to increase sensitivity for the exotic cars simply to be able to react because of their speed, kept ending up in a wall by miss judging their speed in turns. Higher sensitivity in tilt controls helped.

16. makitango

makitango Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Thanks for your posting, and thanks for the length! ;)

1. World
    I do agree with your device strategy stance, but I do not agree with the potential you dedicate to every respective device. RR2 was balanced and promoted with an iPhone 4, and it was the same flawless game experience on my 3GS (I now have an iPhone 4S). Talking about motion blur, too - it was possible on my 4S in Galaxy on Fire and in Riptide GP, and I'm sure it is on an iPhone 4 and maybe even an 3GS. I'v had an iPod Touch 2Gen a long time ago, and it worked like a charm even on 3D strong titles. If you can pull an Unreal engine on such "old" devices, you know it's all about the software.

2. IAP
    It's okay if it does not make an IAP-free progress more grindy, but that it is. So IAPs are no longer cheats or shortcuts but rather essentals. Have you played NFS:MW back in the days when the game was balanced around itself and itself only? This is what I call an ecosystem. If you add IAP to this, I'd be even happy to use them just to support the publisher (I strongly doubt the devs under the EA hood ever see any IAP returns, since EA is all about $$ these days).

3. iCloud (or iCould, if you'd like a joke ^.^)
    I have never had any problem with iCloud, but of course that doesn't speak for the rest. From what it sounds like, it is only Infinity Blade which might be popular with corrupt iCloud savegames, and I even believe I know why. The first reason is its poularity, that's why there even can be so many. The second thing is that many people like downgrading their apps to a pre-IAP or a pre-crash solid app state to have a more fun app to play with, and savegames from a newer version are most likely altered to content and data strings which in the older versions did not exist. The third thing might even be bad code.
    So I believe that if a savegame is already in the cloud, it is reliable as long as Apple has its data centers online.

4. Origin
    If EA can't import from Origin and back without enabling Game Center, I'd go all-in with bad code. There's plenty of dudes importing from OpenFeint to Game Center/iCloud and back again, and OpenFeint is even a 3rd party plugin. Origin is of EA's origin (...) and they barely seem to understand it themselves.
    Besides, Origin is a strongly disliked platform for many reasons, so on iOS it is kind of disgusting to avoid Game Center (which is mandatory to the iOS community, and now even Mac). After all, it seems more "political" to me since EA wants so much of themselves everywhere which is why there is so much more going on in their intros than in any other app one's.

5. App
    Icon: Of course it is inconsitent to alter the icon apart from the other platforms's icons. However, they did wrong with this icon to begin with, and I doubt the other platforms have to deal with icons that much, so this does not seem clear to me. All I see is a cover bitmap which is downsized, but every text and brand has to be put in, too. It is too much information and the icon does not look iconic, not to mention beautiful. If anything, it is informative, but one does not instantly recognize that it is about the MW title of the NFS series when not reading. And reading in an icon is gross and stupid and does not have anything to do with icon design.

Graphics:
    It is even the case on the screenshots that besides the most prominent models (cars and important scenery/objects), most textures are damn blurry which is a sign of poor dedication to minor textures (which ironically are more present than the prominent object's textures). Now I do know that Infinity Blade and other Unreal engine-powered games are more or even completely static, but that doesn't mean that the competition to that powerful engine should advertize themselves with washed out textures just because the gamer is moving fast.

Engine:
    I have read that this engine is identical to Real Racing 2's engine, since EA didn't have a decent engine for their previous iOS titles and they wanted this engine so badly for their long planned NFS:MW iOS version. But if you can prove me wrong, I'd be happy to be so. And yes I know, the Real Racing 3 engine is a totally new chapter. But one should not forget, EA Firemonkeys is Firemint with EA strings.

And I am also sorry for the length, but this has turned out to be an informative conversation. ^.^

17. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #597 Rip73, Nov 5, 2012
    Ha, I think we're definitely getting award for longest posts.
    I'll keep mine shorter this time. You're points are again valid but I still have to stand by my previous opinions (hence why this will be shorter I suppose). I certainly do see your points though.

In relation to the engine specifically, it has been stated by Firemonkeys that's its a new engine with no shared assets.
    As for the source, well it's the dev and I've no direct paper that I can reproduce or link but it was stated at the E3 previews of the game earlier in the year. Plus the game started development before Iron Monkeys and Firemint merged (even if they were both owned by EA at the time).
    I think the dev said so in the upcoming thread for the game as well.
    However, I shall check some info I have and see if I can find a link to post. I'll probably just ask at the source and let you know the reply.

18. JeNeI

JeNeI Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Student
    Romania
  19. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Well done!

20. JeNeI

JeNeI Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Student
    Romania
    P.S.For better cornering I set the control sensitivity to max.