Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 01-19-2014, 02:27 AM
iPhone 3G, iOS 4.x

What an intriguing game! I haven't had a chance to play it yet but will do so now and share if I have any suggestions.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:47 AM
iPhone 3G, iOS 4.x

Hey just played the game and here are my thoughts:

Generally speaking I do quite like it! Here are my thoughts:

On probability of cutting failure:
I see two things you can do with this.

First, extend the cutting time by showing a progress bar of some sort (maybe with a cutting tool animation). Because it's so instant it can feel to people like their money was just taken away all of a sudden. By making it look like a process you keep them on the edge of their seats, hoping that things will turn out all right.

Second, you've already got a popup that asks people if they want to get a 100% cut BEFORE they cut the diamond. I think this is misplaced. Before they press the button everyone thinks they have a shot at getting a good cut. Regret only comes afterwards. Why not have the button pop up AFTER a bad cut and offer people the chance to save their diamond, either through real money or tons of gold? This may not be realistic, but you can bend the rules a little bit in the game. you could say something like "Take the diamond to a master cutter to save it?" or something like that.

UI:
Your UI is really dull and tiny. I get that you are trying to go for a more professional look, but if I have to squint to see how much money I have on a tablet's screen, I think you have a problem. There's nothing wrong with a splash of color here and there.

Why just diamonds?
I understand you've built this entire system around diamonds, but they're not the only precious stones around. I once found a ruby and thought it was silly that I simply discarded it, when good rubies can pull a decent price on the market. Consider adding stones like emeralds, sapphires, and rubies (I'm no minerologist) to make your marketplace and people's collections more interesting.

"Purchases"
Your iAP store is called "Purchases" which doesn't really explain itself very well. I get that you dont want to use "Store" again since you use it in the main menu, but I do wonder if people simply gloss over this because of the wording.

I have some more thoughts but I think this should do for now. Good luck, I really do like your game but it could definitely use some tweaking before you promote it heavily.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:44 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansumo View Post
Hey just played the game and here are my thoughts:

Generally speaking I do quite like it! Here are my thoughts:

On probability of cutting failure:
I see two things you can do with this.

First, extend the cutting time by showing a progress bar of some sort (maybe with a cutting tool animation). Because it's so instant it can feel to people like their money was just taken away all of a sudden. By making it look like a process you keep them on the edge of their seats, hoping that things will turn out all right.

Second, you've already got a popup that asks people if they want to get a 100% cut BEFORE they cut the diamond. I think this is misplaced. Before they press the button everyone thinks they have a shot at getting a good cut. Regret only comes afterwards. Why not have the button pop up AFTER a bad cut and offer people the chance to save their diamond, either through real money or tons of gold? This may not be realistic, but you can bend the rules a little bit in the game. you could say something like "Take the diamond to a master cutter to save it?" or something like that.

UI:
Your UI is really dull and tiny. I get that you are trying to go for a more professional look, but if I have to squint to see how much money I have on a tablet's screen, I think you have a problem. There's nothing wrong with a splash of color here and there.

Why just diamonds?
I understand you've built this entire system around diamonds, but they're not the only precious stones around. I once found a ruby and thought it was silly that I simply discarded it, when good rubies can pull a decent price on the market. Consider adding stones like emeralds, sapphires, and rubies (I'm no minerologist) to make your marketplace and people's collections more interesting.

"Purchases"
Your iAP store is called "Purchases" which doesn't really explain itself very well. I get that you dont want to use "Store" again since you use it in the main menu, but I do wonder if people simply gloss over this because of the wording.

I have some more thoughts but I think this should do for now. Good luck, I really do like your game but it could definitely use some tweaking before you promote it heavily.
^ +10 great ideas.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:02 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 3.x

Hi there! Love love love the game but twice it has crashed after paying 4.99 for a guaranteed cut and the stone is still not cut. It's still sitting in my "uncut stones" cabinet....what can I do? I do not want to pay again and get nothing, the first stone I paid to cut went seamlessly, but following that one all others have crashed the site, taken my money and not given me a cut stone. Please advise. I would like to continue to play and I'm happy to support your game by buying things....thanks! :-)
Old 03-15-2014, 12:51 PM
iPad mini 2

Interesting game but I agree with two previous comments. UI is a little dull and you should consider sprucing it up, same comment about some of the screen shots since. Saving the diamond after a bad cut is a great idea because it's a lose/lose to pay before - if you pay before ensuring a win, the player wonders if they would have won anyway. if you don't pay before and lose, the player has had a negative experience with the game not necessarily their choice.

Would you mind giving some more details on the marketing investment you made? You mentioned that the total you have spent on user acquisition would result in a net loss, would you give more details to share what you felt worked/didn't work? Thanks.