Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-24-2014, 02:47 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
I've actually come across quite a few games that do offer manual backup and restore from and to iCloud during 2013. The only examples that spring to mind right now are Block Fortress, Heroes & Castles and Monster Adventures from Foursaken (Foursaken's newer games include both auto-iCloud and manual backup and restore to the same), but I have played at least a few more over the course of the past year.
Thanks for pointing out these examples, Ayjona.
It's not that I cannot imagine a way to use / abuse the offered iCloud API to accomplish a manual backup and restore functionality somehow. It's just that I still don't see that this concept is officially supported by Apple's iCloud API, and I wonder whether it is a good idea (and a reliable solution) to work against the intended design of automatic synchronization.

For example, the iCloud API doesn’t offer a single function for putting a file into iCloud, or removing one. (see http://www.macworld.com/article/1167...hallenges.html ).

Now, I have a very pragmatic point of view when it comes to choosing a technology: Just take the one that is suited best for a specific task.
And this seems to be Dropbox in this case (manual saves and restores, cross-platform, free accounts).
This might be different in future projects, however, where we might need automatic synchronization. In such a case I would rather prefer using iCloud than Dropbox.

Last edited by niebau; 01-24-2014 at 03:10 PM..
Old 01-24-2014, 10:20 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Interesting.
Surprises me that Apple offers a Dropbox API, but nothing for manual syncing functionality for their own iCloud.
Why not leave it with Dropbox for now? And you could ask about it here in the Developers' Forum, and see what comes up.
If there is a reliable way for manual syncs with iCloud, you can always change it later. Or add it. I am quite sure you would be the first to offer both (good for marketing ) ).
Old 01-25-2014, 03:10 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullzone View Post
Interesting.
Surprises me that Apple offers a Dropbox API, but nothing for manual syncing functionality for their own iCloud.
They don't, as far as I know. Dropbox itself offers an iOS API that can be integrated into Apple's app development tool XCode, though. This API is basically just a wrapper for the Dropbox core API (REST architecture based on HTTP) which is used by Dropbox also for their own iOS app.

From a technical pov it makes actually sense that Apple doesn't mix manual backups with automatic syncing, imho. At least it is easy to imagine that such a hybrid system would be prone to problems.

Don't get me wrong.
Offering a cloud system with automatic syncing is a great idea, and if I were a marketing manager I would certainly love to advertise such a feature.
On the flip side, such an approach covers different uses cases than a very basic 'file storage in the cloud' system like Dropbox, imho.

Last edited by niebau; 01-26-2014 at 03:06 AM..
Old 01-27-2014, 10:41 AM

This is great news! I looked at the stuff about Tactics Maiden on your blog, Niebau, and I really like what I am seeing.

Personally, I am all for somewhat randomized and personalized mercenaries. I disagree that spearmen are less powerful than knights - with proper equipment and focus allocation they are much sturdier and more useful in battles involving many magic-slinging enemies and/or vampires than knights, for instance. Their main problem is lack of active ability that doesn't depend on enemy positioning, IMHO. That slows down their levelling compared to the units that have such abilities.

I do have some reservations re: lengthening respawn time of repeatedly killed units, since the AI (rightly) knows to target mages, priests and archers and it is not particularly easy to keep them around for any length of time as is.

Maybe you should give an active "protect other" ability to the spearmen and/or knights, that would share the damage between them and units that they protect. Defense stats of the protected unit could be used to calculate overall damage, for simplicity's sake and to avoid overpowering the ability.
For example: a mage is being hit by an archer for 110 hp, but she is being protected by a spearman, so both get -55 hp damage. Round up for odd numbers. If the protecting unit is targeted and hit, the damage isn't shared, of course.

I would also suggest that units that don't perform any actions in a round get a slight defense boost.

Oh, and if there are story characters that leave the party, their gear should return to the common stash and the first time it happens there should be a message averting the player of the fact.
I know that that's how it works in Kingturn now, but people traumatised by all these RPGs where temporary characters vanish taking all their loot with them would appreciate the reassurance .

A couple of other things I'd like to see changed compared to Kingturn, assuming that they aren't already:

Management of unused items - it is very irritating that when I sell anything, the camera snaps back to the top of the page. Granted, that's more of a problem when you are a pack rat like me, but it still makes manual selling of selected items more of a chore than it should be, IMHO.

If character focuses (foci?) are still a thing - which they totally should be, they are awesome, then we should be able to adjust them and equipment for the characters that are automatically deployed at the beginning of a scenario. Granted, it is entirely possible to see what you are up against, retreat, manage the characters and then restart the scenario again, but it disrupts the flow of the game.

To conclude, let me mention again that I love how you iterate on the concept and change up stuff, keeping it fresh and deep.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:08 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isilel View Post
Maybe you should give an active "protect other" ability to the spearmen and/or knights, that would share the damage between them and units that they protect. ...

I would also suggest that units that don't perform any actions in a round get a slight defense boost.
Thanks for your feedback, Isiliel. Very much appreciated.

Since I'm a few weeks behind the planned schedule for Tactis Maiden already, I'd like to respond in general more briefly than usual for the time being. This doesn't mean that I don't read all suggestions very carefully, of course .

There will be definitely (more) active skills in order to protect weaker units like priests or mages. Mainly Knights will have the responsibility to protect other units, in a (slightly different but) comparable way tank classes work in most MMOs today.

As for raising the defense values of idle units: I will think about. As mentioned in my previous post, enemy units will play at times more defensively than in Kingturn. So this feature might actually turn out to make the player's life more difficult, since I still want to apply basically the same rules for player and enemy units. Let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isilel View Post
Management of unused items - it is very irritating that when I sell anything, the camera snaps back to the top of the page.
I've made a few changes already to improve upon the item management in general, and I will keep an eye on this issue in particular.

Edited Note: I've recoded (scroll) lists for Tactics Maiden now, so the camera won't snap back to the first list element any longer. While the result was definitely worth the effort, the implementation was rather tricky and Tactics Maiden specific, so I don't know when I can add the same improvement to Kingturn.

Last edited by niebau; 01-31-2014 at 03:08 AM.. Reason: Additional information
Old 01-27-2014, 02:48 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

Default General strategy tips

I've posted a small Kingturn guide with general strategy tips & tricks on www.indiegameguides.com

This web site is dedicated to indie game guides and was initiated by fellow indie developer Trese Brothers, best known for their extensive TBS title Star Traders RPG.

I think this is a really neat idea, so I hope we'll see a lot more (non-casual) game and strategy guides over there soon.

Last edited by niebau; 01-27-2014 at 03:12 PM..
Old 01-27-2014, 03:47 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I really like the idea of protecting other units. A bit late to suggest that, but a skill - or even class - of "Bodyguard" would be interesting. Maybe in a future update
Spearmen/whatever-standard-fighter-will-be-called should be able to do that, too.

Some more ideas for the future:
For spearwielders specifically, forming a spearwall with any adjacent units of the same class could be nice. Same for Shieldbearers (any other heavy infantry than Knights, btw?) with forming a shieldwall.
First one would be added damage and armor when attacked. Second only increased armor.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:14 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

If you are new to this series, which order should you play the three games?

I know chronological order is kingturn underworld, kingturn, kingturn plus.
But what is the best playing order to get most enjoyment out of the series?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:16 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klako View Post
If you are new to this series, which order should you play the three games?

I know chronological order is kingturn underworld, kingturn, kingturn plus.
But what is the best playing order to get most enjoyment out of the series?
Personally I would tend to play Kingturn Underworld not as the first title, mainly because it is imho the most difficult one of the 3 titles.

The story of Kingturn (main) is definitely the most independent one, and it can be argued that it is more balanced and has less difficulty spikes than Underworld and Plus.

The best compromise between difficulty and story in chronological order would be imho:
- Kingturn
- Kingturn Underworld (main campaign)
- Kingturn RPG Plus
- Kingturn Underworld ('Ten Years Later' campaign)

I think you can't do much wrong if you play the titles in the order above.

See also these posts here:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...6&postcount=49
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...5&postcount=50

Last edited by niebau; 04-21-2014 at 11:21 AM..