Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-15-2013, 03:58 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Hello again. It's been a long time, and a rollercoaster ride for us. Ninja is alive and well, and we will be posting more about the development of it later. However, we have changed our company name from Boogie Games to Afterlife Entertainment.

With this, we have also created a new image for the company. Here's a blog post about the creation process of the new us.

Click here
Old 11-18-2013, 04:55 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Hi. Have you missed us?

Here's a little update on how Ninja is doing (with new screenshots). Drop a comment on the new look.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:18 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Posted this on TIG as well, not sure which forum you're more active:

Oh and for the sake of discussion and debate:
Quote:
We are living in an age where gamers from the 90's are considered old. The modern gamer is frantic, used to having everything immediately, patted on the back on every small task he/she succeeds in, or even held by the hand through a tough situation if he/she for some reason doesn't succeed in what he/she is doing. Stealth games are inherently slow paced tactical master missions.
I can't disagree with this more and I feel it's a broad overgeneralization that overlooks the vast number of gamers who love a challenge. The success of games like Super Meat Boy, Rogue Legacy, Demons'/Dark Souls, the vast array of high difficult reflex testing games on IOS like Super Hexagon, Impossible Road, and many more, even the resurgence and acceptance of roguelike mechanic across the industry (i.e. permadeath and random generation in FTL, action rogues like Teleglitch and Binding of Issac, FPS roguelikes such as Tower of Guns and platformers like Spelunky) show that, if anything, difficult games are in vogue and more accepted than ever

As a gamer, I relish a challenge. There's something so satisfying about not being held by hand, to explore and discover by your own intent, to grow as a player and surmount enemies and scenarios that defeated you before
Old 11-21-2013, 03:37 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Posted to TIG as well.

We haven't really dumbed down the game to appeal to casual gamers. It would be quite stupid from us to make a game for niche audience, and then take away the things that audience likes.

However, what we have done is streamlining the game especially for tablets. This means that we try to keep the amount of buttons to a minimal (at the moment we have none), and the look & feel in general suitable for a mobile game.

So what about the difficulty then. Ninja surely won't be as hard as Commandos was back in the day, and it won't be nearly as either. Then again, Commandos was more slow paced game than Ninja.

Ninja is more of an action-stealth game, like Thief and Hitman are. As with Thief and Hitman, you can also complete Ninja easily by playing the game like a hack-n-slash, but if the game is played more stealthily it's:
a) more challenging
b) more rewarding (in many ways)
c) the only way to play the game 100%

There are also levels where killing or even being seen is forbidden.

At the end of the day, we are trying to make a great game. A game that we and others with similar interests would like to play. A game that has it's roots in our own youth, but polished and re-designed to meet today's needs. Money is of course asked for hard labour done, but money is never a good enough reason to make a game worse or dumbed down to be fit for a wider audience.

Then to the quote. I didn't even remember it at first, but recognised it as mine. I'm afraid you won't get much of a debate out of this. The text goes a bit overboard, but has some elements of truth in it (or at least in my opinion). First of all, of course there are many hardcore games and hardcore gamers on iOS. Mobile games were originally meant as "bus stop games", which you can play for 5-10 minutes, and then stop. Facebook games had the same kind of mentality. They came to replace solitaire for boring moments. Nowadays tablet and mobile games are the fastest growing gaming platform, and therefore they also have all kinds of games. However, the majority of mobile platform players are still people who have just started playing games in general or just like the casuality of its games. Therefore, even Ninja has to have a casual side (read: proper tutorial phase and suitable difficulty curve) to be playable and enjoyable even to the players that are outside the target audience.

The quote you posted was a provocative comment aimed more towards developers or games they make in the industry in general, than players. I at least have been frustrated many times because console games are either dumbed down or I'm being rewarded with an achievement for just advancing in the game. Or at the mobile side, when I'm presented with a metrics-first or unethical-IAP game.

tl;dr; Ninja will have enough challenge for a HC gamer. Ninja will also be suitable for non-gamers. I don't think people can't handle HC games on mobile. I'm saying big money developers often create low-risk and over-saturated games.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:47 PM

Hello,

I'm not really sure why you need to clutter the screen with a light symbol
icon. I can see when the ninja is lit up , standing in light
and when he is a dark shape, hidding in the shadows. What more do you really
need?

As far as showing the ninja's health , you could resort to movement speed to
suggest the degree of injury. Fast running speed for good health. A slow jog
to suggest minor health issues. A walk to show medium health damage.
A crawl or slow laboured steps to show extreme damage.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2013, 02:48 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Hi

I'm guessing you mean the lightbulp icons seen at the second screenshot of the latest blog post. They are Unity editor icons, and not part of the game. I forgot to disable them when I took a screenshot of the whole level. The upper picture is an in-game screenshot, and as you can see, the light in that doesn't have the icon. If you mean the UI slider for light, we think it's important information to be shown, since people play with different brightness settings on their devices. The said lit up and darkened shape will be also present.

As for health, we conscidered it affecting movement speed, but decided that we didn't want to alter that, to make the game more enjoyable in general. We did A/B tests for this a while back, and at least our test results show that people enjoy the game more when the health is shown in a traditional way, and were frustrated if they were moving slowly because of damage. Stealthy players will already be sneaking most of the time, and taking damage in general is a sign of failed ambush. That's punishment enough IMO.

Thank you for your input though. I appreciate it and gladly take more feedback if you have any.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:31 PM

Stealth? Me likey
Old 03-08-2014, 11:12 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Any news on this?
Old 03-08-2014, 11:47 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Any news on this?
I think the project is dead. Last blog update was in November, last Facebook post was in December, and the Twitter page looks like it's nothing but spam messages.