Random Act of Generosity Thread Lock?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by undeadcow, Feb 24, 2011.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
  2. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

I encouraged people to visit the site I made for it, so I got an infraction, the thread was locked, and some posts were deleted in the group.

3. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #3 undeadcow, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
    Can I formally ask the Random Acts of Generosity thread in the Lounge be re-opened through this channel? I think it provides a good outlet for forum members to exchange favorable games.

If the thread close was as Paradiso said I'm hopeful the problem has been solved and although on that logic I could open a fresh thread I'd hate to duplicate. The random game recommendations thread in general discussion is a good catch all for advice and the random acts of generosity thread could likewise serve as a catch-all for exchanging gifts or even err... members asking for donations. Thanks for the consideration, moderators!

Thanks for answer Paradiso.

4. Paradiso

The infraction was for self promotion, but IMNS never said why the thread was locked, I just assumed the same reason.

5. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Any clarification from moderators? Please advise.

6. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Guys, We have followed the same rules for over two years now. You cannot self-promote or link to any website that has to do with you. So, "Hey! Check out my site" is a no-no, but if someone goes "Hey, check out this site I found" that's ok. Anyways, the rules aren't hard to understand, but the issue was that the thread broke one of the rules. Plus, we have the group we can use, and I am sure if you REALLY needed it, you can always start another thread. That one was getting off-topic anyways

7. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    There were a couple of things wrong with the thread. Non-dev giveaway and (later) self promotion. Forum rules dont allow anyone to giveaway codes (and hold any contests) unless they are devs and this is the reason behind it as far as I understand it..

So paradiso's thread should have been locked from the moment it began but we let it slide coz the idea was kind of interesting and paradiso didnt have any previous infractions and didnt even have anything to advertise in his sig. So I thought it wont hurt much if an exception was made for that particular thread. Unfortunately, it ended up exactly how I feared such threads would end up.

Sorry. Rules are rules. No self promotion is allowed. Since thats what I feared would happen in such threads and it actually did happen, I couldnt let the thread stay as it's simply not possible to keep checking all the posts just in case someone is trying to self promote.

Fwiw, I really liked the idea of that thread though.

8. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the clarification, I'mNoSuperman. It was a cool idea though so sorry to see it dismantled.

9. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    you could randomly dispense it into my email :)

edit: i sense a social group beginning to form......

10. AP9TV1

AP9TV1 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2010
    YouTube
    There should be just an area where members can hold contests! Just my opinion...

11. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    That can't be the reason. It's not giving away promo codes, that you got for free. You are buying a app, and then giving it away. Your are actually paying for it, unlike for promo codes. And, it's not advertising an app because, at least how it was supposed to be, was to let the user chose the app

12. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If there are grounds to contest the ruling the generosity thread be locked I respectfully request it be more carefully reviewed. Ibelonginforums and AP9TV1 do make good points.

The idea is kind of madcap but a video game exchange is not a bad idea. A parallel is on another DVD forum there is an exchange thread where people can trade, give away, or sell DVDs. This could be the iOS app equilivalent rather than self-promotion or contests it's just a clubhouse areana to share interests with others.

13. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    how about we just start a social group thats open to everyone who wants to join.....instead of complaining because even though some members make good points, i dont think the mods will change their decision

14. Paradiso

#14 Paradiso, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
    The social group is here:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/group.php?groupid=470

As far as I know were still allowed to use it. Had I known people would like the idea I would've just made the group to begin with.

I said no promo code trades here, but there was nothing I could do about it once it started happening. I agree with the mods, I shouldnt have asked people to visit my site, it won't happen again.

Sorry for all the trouble it caused here.

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Sounds a bit like TA becoming a victim of the times. iTunes incorporates app gifting so that friends can share the apps they love with others, spread a bit of happiness and maybe even help some of the struggling games get off the ground somewhat... and on the internet's biggest app-related website it's punishable by ban.

Something about that doesn't sound right.