TouchArcade and StarDefence

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by RtodaJ, Jun 12, 2009.

1. RtodaJ

RtodaJ Active Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Hey everyone I was just wondering if anyone thinks Toucharcade is making way too big of a deal about StarDefence. I mean i played it and i personally dont think its as good as they have been saying it should be for months. And almost a page long thing about it on the front page. I think toucharcade maby learned its lesson this time about hyping up a game way too early. I mean with all the hype toucharcade brought to stardefence months ago, A think its an insult to the regulars of this site. Because good or bad Toucharcade would have to cover their asses and call it a good game with all the hype they gave this game. Its unfair reviewing to the readers and a big waste of time for the writers.

THANKS

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

The review of Star Defense is just as long as all my other reviews, I shoot for around the 1000 word mark. I'm not sure why it's so offensive to everyone that I enjoyed playing Star Defense.

3. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Well, no, It's how people perceive the excitement and look of the game. It's not TouchArcade's fault at all. They just love great games like these. And it's all opinion too, so if people love the game, they love it, if they hate it, they hate it. It is fair.

4. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    i dont think they are making such a big deal

i honestly think star defense is like any other TD IMO the 3D graphics or anything dont mean anything to me
    to me its just like any other TD game

5. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    I think the big deal here is people reading a review and going bananas over it. What ever happened to agreeing/disagreeing with the review after you play the game and leave it at that, why take the extra energy to complain that you were misled?

6. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Two articles, sound the alarms.

7. Joker13z

Joker13z Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Yeah no kidding. Let the toucharcade review war began. -_-
    I hope Arn doesn't get too much of a headache over all this crap.

8. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    My opinion is that the Touch Arcade review was bias, inappropriate and inaccurate.

9. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    and you think this because of .......

10. Kumulus

Kumulus Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    so why no link to the forum discussion in this review?

you were certainly aware about the high amount of negative feedback in the star defence thread? why wasn't this even mentioned, but instead it seems like the review was supposed to balance this by not mentioning any weaknesses at all and being overly positive.

maybe it was subconsciously but you should really work on this. you say that YOU enjoy playing star defence but it is your duty as "official" frontpage writer to mention that MANY other do not enjoy it. you should mention the negative points, as perceived by the board members at least in the review if it is a honest one.

11. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    A review is subjective by nature and there is nothing wrong with saying nice things about someone who gives you money. My only concern was the reference to the reviews as editorials (appearing in this thread.) That falsely implies that the articles featured at this website follow journalistic principles.

12. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    People are entitled to their own opinion. I have no doubt Hodapp enjoys the game. He enjoyed playing the early release and continues to enjoy it.

What I was surprised with was there was no mention of the clearly negative viewpoints on the threads. It seems other TA reviews have stated things like, "problems with the controls have been discussed in the forum" or "our forum users have been discussing such and such" with an included link to the forum. I was surprised there was not even a link to the thread. I think, perhaps, having something like this would have given some balance to the review.

Please note, I have not actually played the game so have no opinion whether it's good or bad. Just making an observation.

13. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States

after playing it i dont think this game was worth 6$ regardless of graphics
    should be 1$ IMO

14. dream

dream Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Are you kidding me? A review is a subjective opinion.

15. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Game isn't horrible, but I wish I had waited for a price drop.

I'm currently downloading an update for it :D

16. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Why, again, should he have to mention the opinions of a horde of anonymous forum members? Holy Moses. The next time I read a review in Entertainment Weekly, I'm going to write a strongly worded letter to the Editor-in-Chief stating my inconsolable anger over the fact that the reviewer didn't mention that "a whiny subset of fans disagreed with his subjective critique."

17. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Woot an update. Something I haven't seen in many of my apps for a long time. *downloading*

18. Kumulus

Kumulus Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    because so far i thought that the opinions of the "anonymous forum members" mattered^^

19. CBraun53

CBraun53 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    #19 CBraun53, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
    Except that it is not common practice of Entertainment Weekly to include that, however it is pretty common in the reviews here.

I have not played the game, so I have no opinion on the game, but I understand why people would be upset if there are negative aspects to the game that many people have agreed on, and they weren't mentioned in the review.

Edit: Just wanted to say that I haven't really followed the StarDefence thread so I am just biasing this off of what people have said here.

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I enjoyed the game. I wrote the review, it's my opinion. I'm not a spokesman for the people who post on the forums. It seemed to me most of the complaints in the thread were because the game was $6, and didn't live up to the imaginary hype people created amongst themselves. I didn't link to the thread because quite honestly, there wasn't much worth reading between price complaining and people bickering over hype. (Outside of the standard TA crew posting quality first impressions that we see with every game thread.)

It's also WWDC week, so I haven't had the time to read everything that gets posted in the forum. What I have had time to do is play tons of Star Defense at night and on the plane. My review was based on Star Defense, not the Touch Arcade forums.

I'm sorry you guys feel slighted that I didn't just absolutely slam Star Defense and ngmoco for the audacity of charging over 99 cents and releasing a game without 3000 hours of gameplay... But I have been enjoying Star Defense. It's very fun in my opinion.

The great thing is, you're entitled to your own opinions too! If you hate Star Defense, cool, go rage out on your blog or post something in the user review forums.