Optimum place to sell ipad?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Mene, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Hi,

iOS and the current state of the App Store at the moment has me considering selling my ipad and getting out of 'mobile' gaming before the App Store is totally filled with brain dead trash like flappy bird, angry bird and 5 billion clones of the latest FOTM game.

I'm wondering where would I get the best return on my ipad? I've never used anything like eBay, would that be the best or would it be better to take it to a games shop and trade it in?

Thanks

2. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Okay, I'm taking no replies as there's no 'best' place to sell it.

:)

I'll ask around

3. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I always end up keeping my old ones. Agree that mobile gaming in it's current form isn't great but there's still some magnificent stuff out there. I'm actually pleased (in a way) with all the crap coming at the minute and it's letting me catch up with my backlog.
    I actually picked up a Vita this week (purely to play Minter's TxK) and it did make me realise that it is probably a better gaming machine but I do still love the ease of access of the iDevice.
    No idea what my point is except I don't think I'd sell it.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Just sell it on ebay. But a lot of people may not bid if you're a brand new seller as that puts people off

5. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Yeah, I've never used eBay so that might not be the best option, I'm going in town next week, I'll see what the game shop offers me, I know they trade in computers, consoles and tablets etc etc.

6. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    If it's anything like gamestop, then they won't give you much.

7. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I use the local classifieds to sell stuff. You have to deal with a lot of idiots but it's something you get used to.

You will get the best price this way, but it's more work.

Otherwise, eBay.

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Craigslist has worked well for me in the past. Just make sure you meet in a safe, public place.

9. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks for the advice, I took my pad (pristine condition in original box) to my local games shop this morning and was offered £140 in-store goods or £90 cash.

For a 32gb ipad Air! Needless to say, I didn't accept their offer. What a joke

I've never used eBay and such and don't have a paypal account for using it, I guess I will keep this for now and hope the App Store wakes up from its current state of crappness. £90 huh.. Pitiful

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm glad you didnt cash it in, those places always offer a silly low value.

I dont think iOS gaming is brilliant at the moment but i'm sure it'll rebound, i must admit i use my ipad more for reading, books and graphic novels which work really well.

For me December was a great month for iOS gaming, hardly bought any apps this year though. If anything its a good time to go back and play many of the games i've bought the last few years, i so often tend to 'dip' into them as another game comes out a week later i want to play instead. So i'm going through some old classics trying to beat them

11. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I left iOS gaming around 2011 the first time around because I was tired of the games that were coming out (freemium, etc).

But now, I see there's a lot of good games coming out that are premium-style games. Sure, for every 1 good premium game there are 99 free-to-play garbage games, but that ratio is good enough for me.

Lots of good RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Avadon and Avernum, Ravensword or stuff like Xcom Enemy Unknown. Or even some XBLA titles like Bastion. These are PC and consoles games that are breaking into the IOS scene and many of them are doing well, so it's encouraging.

I just picked up a new iPad Mini retina (like a mini-air basically) and I have more than enough games to play for a year. Sites like these are essential for me to find the good games of course. The forums and the reviews are great. I just wish they hadn't removed the user review section.

12. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    The best thing to do can be to put out a message to people you know. I've sent and all-staff email to the place where I work before. I slightly undercut the current ebay going rate and manage to save a load of grief.

Really though I think there's as much great stuff coming out int he App Store as there ever has been. You just need to look a little harder to filter out the freemium crap.

13. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Keep it for all the games Foursaken will launch. -ahem- bug heroes 2

14. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Did you try Gazzelle.com?

I have no idea of their pricing, but that is what they do..... Buy and trade devices.

15. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    You'll probably never make close to your money spent back so I'd recommend keeping it, I feel similar to you but I'll be holding onto mine for reading and the occasional decent title that comes along.

16. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    #16 HarryWarden, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    I've sold two iPads, both of them through Amazon. One, in fact, was a trade-in for an Amazon gift card. Got $400 in gift card value for a 16 GB iPad 3 a week before iPad 4 was announced (I watched the Apple sites and heard rumors of the announcement so I sold it. Since the Air is the newest model, you should get a good return if you sell it to the right place. Even 16 GB in good condition should fetch close to $400 if not more considering what I received for the 3 a week prior to the 4 coming out.

Apple products historically have higher trade-in value than comparable products in the same category.

As of now, Amazon trade-in value of the Air is $326.50 for 16GB, actually quite low but maybe they've gone lower because Apple releases too many versions. They need to go over a year without releasing one and the trade-in value would be better.

17. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks for the help.

The idea I had was to sell my 32gb ipad Air to a: get out of mobile gaming now the App Store is going to hell and b: raise the cash to buy a handheld console.

But.. Having just borrowed my friends DS lite and played on it, it suddenly renders my plan useless as I'm having a HUGE problem reading text on such a tiny screen and as I wanted it for RPGs I would be reading a lot of text. Even with my glasses on, I struggle to read the text in this thing.

So, sadly it seems I'll have to stick with my ipad because of the screen size, I'll just hope that the App Store gets out of its current freemium fad ASAP and we actually start getting decent games.