2012 has been a particularly fantastic year for ports, what's your favorite?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Eli, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Stranded87

Stranded87 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    The Last Express imo the best point and click style game ever made and it's just as good on iOS.

The World Ends With You may well tie with it, as that's an amazing game too, but I've not played the iOS version so can't comment on how well it's been ported.

Baldur's Gate is a close runner up.

I don't count The Walking Dead as a port since it came out at more or less the same time as other platforms, so it's more just a multi-format release.

2. Estupendo1

Estupendo1 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Good selection!

3. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Walking Dead is the best. :D

4. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
  5. Shadow Warrior. I'm really surprised at how much fun I'm having with it.

6. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I think bard's tale came out last year. If it was this year I'd have to say it would be in the running.

Mutant Mudds and Bastion are my favourites. There have been other ports of games that range from good (ff4, metal slugs) to ok (lunar SSS).
    iOS introduced me to mutant mudds, which is a great game, and Bastion. Bastion is my personal game of the year. I really enjoyed the old Zelda's and Seiken Densetsu's. They are still some of my favourite games of all time. Bastion was a new experience that drew me in like those games in their times.
    I feel almost bad choosing a port as my goty. In my opinion, no iOS original stands near it.
    RPG of the year would have to go to a port as well. Just my opinion again, nothing stands beside ff4 or twewy.
    A very good year for ports.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Sweet post. Totally agree.

8. J2o

J2o Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Not sure if Junk Jack was part of 2012, but it's becoming my favorite. that and Walking Dead

9. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    The Walking Dead, Organ Trail, Bastion and Crazy Taxi for me. CT surprised me as the ios version works even better than the gamecube version I own.

Raiden Legacy was a great port too, all in all a great year for ports on ios.

10. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Battle Academy
    King of Dragon Pass
    The Walking Dead
    Bastion

All of the above are fantastic ports. Thinking about getting FFIV, been hearing great things about it, but I played the heck out of the old SNES version waaay back in the day.

11. raymond_cgc

raymond_cgc Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Is walking dead really sum port? I tot it was a almost simultaneous release (give or take a few months)...so how is tht a ports? I fink the last ne even launched same time as others.

12. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    Shadow Warrior has been excellent for me.

Forgotten how good it is (despite some of the crass humour) The controls are really very good once you get that you can alter aim once you start firing.

Levels are big and after the first 4 free ones you get 16 more (+ 2 hidden ones apparently) for just £1.49 (in UK) and there are some clever touches to finding you way to the end of each one

The ghostly floating head things are genuinely scarey to battle with as the fade in and out of existence

Advice: hit save regularly - this game is tough - even on easiest 'Tiny Grasshopper' level