FAO Developers - a question if I may?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by RebornProphet, Nov 3, 2012.

1. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    #1 RebornProphet, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2012
    I know we have a few Developers who post here, either solo developers or representatives from the likes of EA and Zynga.

I am a happy iPad 3 owner, I have no plans to upgrade to a 4 or sell my 3 to part fund a 4. I read with interest the interviews with developers who mentioned their development plans going forward.

Since the iPad 3 essentially "morphed" into the 4 (it made no sense for Apple to drop the 2 and offer a cheaper Retina model by retaining the 3, I get that) will developers continue to support the iPad 3? I am not expecting full Retina resolution games, I know the A5X requires a sacrifice of some kind (either full resolution or effects ala NOVA 3 or a lower resolution with AA enabled ala NFS Most Wanted and the middle setting on Galaxy On Fire 2 HD) to run games at higher resolutions.

Can any of the developers here comment on what their plans are for the iPad 3? I'd be more than happy to see games released using the 1440 x 1080 resolution with AA enabled, as long as we continued to see top game support going forward. I am currently loving NFS Most Wanted, which I believe is running at 1440 x 1080 on the iPad 3, although others can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Obviously my worry is that as the 3 is no longer sold in its current form (and lives on in a new form via the 4), will owners of the iPad 3 be left out of optimisation for their device (ramping games up to the aforementioned 1440 x 1080 with AA) , or will we be left to run games as they are on iPad 2 at a resolution of 1024 x 768, which will look blurry on the Retina Display?

In the long run, iPad 4 games are going to look stunning, I get that and have no desire to brag of having the best. I just want to know if the iPad 3 will still be looked at and catered for during development.

Many thanks to the devs who may (or may not) read and reply.

Cheers.