What's with this Portal 2 bitterness?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Eduku, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    This happened a few days ago, but I've been out of the loop for a while, and came back to see this whole debacle about people complaining about Portal 2. I have yet to see a valid, sensible reason for this so-called 'outrage', even after playing the game. Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm rather confused.

For those who have no idea what I'm on about:
    http://www.destructoid.com/valve-fans-whine-and-cry-about-portal-2-like-idiots-199220.phtml

and also:
    http://kotaku.com/#!5793543/the-people-are-panning-portal-2

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Dumb people are dumb.

3. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The game is awesome. I wasn't aware that there was cosmetic DLC available for purchase, but I can't say that it bothers me. I'm just happy to be getting avatar stuff in-game. I can't wait to get my cube. :)

4. iPhondTouch3G

iPhondTouch3G Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Same thing happened with PC version of Crysis 2:

For example:

• Console port!
    • CryTek are sell-outs!
    • Gay game!
    • Unplayable!
    • PC Gaming is dead!
    • CryTek is dead!
    • OMG bad graphics! Did you see the rocks underwater! Textures are so low res! CONSOLE PORT!
    • OMG it says "Press Start to Begin" and "Adjust your TV settings" in the menu! CONSOLE PORT!!!!
    • Omg it looks the same on Sh*tbox 360 and PC! CONSOLE PORT!
    • OMG FAIL GAME! EPIC FAIL! No DX11 SUCH A TERRIBLE GAME~

5. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Whenever there is something awesome that everyone loves, it then becomes the "it" or cool thing to not like that. Like the people who came out saying Toy Story 3 wasnt good or Inception last year. Like when Mass Effect came along and they complained how it was streamlined even though it was improved a lot. This is really just brought from:

well said.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Portal 2 is kinda short. I got it on Wednesday and I'm almost done. I've finished single player, finished co-op and I'm just sweeping up the last few trophies.

After that I probably won't have much reason to play again as I'll know the solutions and running through the levels is significantly less fun, but if I wait long enough I'll forget... so maybe next year.

I can't fault the first playthrough though. Lots of awesome moments, enjoyed every moment of it.

7. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I personally have an issue with buying a game for $50 and that same game having an additional $15 or more of DLC... Everyone wants the DLC, if you made it with the initial design just include it with the initial purchase, for DLC down the line I'm ok with. It's just something about launch day DLC that chaps my ass...

8. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Agreed, especially those with Steve Merchant in them.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

It's entirely optional cosmetic DLC that changes quite literally nothing other than what your little robot looks like in multiplayer. It's not like the game launched with 1/5 of the content unlocked with the other 4/5 available via DLC. Hell, when you're playing, you can't even see the cosmetic DLC on your dude. It changes nothing about the gameplay, on any level.

10. Mudkipz223

Mudkipz223 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Atlantis
    The only thing though, is the DLC is simply aesthetic changes as opposed to something actually valuable in-game. It's an option for those who want a change in pace with the visual aspects of P-body or Atlas, or their emotes too. They're not forcing anybody to go and spend more money; it's just something a person can choose if they want to. That's my view on it anyways. :)
    Edit: Hodapp practically summed it up well.

11. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    #11 1337brian, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
    I understand it adds nothing to the gameplay, I still want it, I just dont feel like forking over more money on release day for it.

Aside from that the game is still great!

[EDIT] - Upon further thinking I will say I have a slight OCD problem and for some reason I feel like a game regardless of the DLC (it could do nothing at all) feels like an "incomplete" game to me... Case in point when they launched the DLC for Teamfortress 2 I actually bought a ton of it, I couldn't help it, some stuff was game related like new weapons but a lot of the money I spent was for purely cosmetic garbage, I wish it didn't bug me but it does I feel like I have to complete my game, one reason I quit MMo's after dark age of Camelot. Needless to say I had to quit TF2 as the items were getting out of hand an like pokemon I had to have them all.

Luckily other people have this same issue I do and wound up buying all my stuff for around $700 before I quit..

12. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I don't care, it's a great game.

P.S
    Anyone want to play some coop over LIVE?

Add Hmar9333

13. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I honestly don't know whether this thread (http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=63326&page=10) is a joke. They seem serious, and then say things like

"
    You think having a person stuff their fist deep inside your rectum does not hurt? What kind of a pervert are you?"

Seriously. Wat.

14. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Wow, that is the most crazy sh*t I have ever read.

Portal:
    - displeases Jesus because Jesus does not like magic
    - will make small innocent children forget about Jesus and worship the COMPANION CUBE
    - make your children think about sex, as with portals they can do it alone (WTF!)
    - teach children lying is OK (well that has a bit of truth to it ;))

I do feel a bit sorry for the developers as they have obviously put so much work into this game, and idiots are just making ridiculous arguments.

15. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Doesn't anyone google stuff anymore?
    http://www.dirjournal.com/internet-journal/fake-websites-that-are-beyond-belief/

16. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
  17. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    #17 5duc29, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
    Just finished the game-- bought today and finished it in about 5.5 hours. Haven't touched multiplayer yet.. I don't think it is worth $59.99 (maybe $49.99) but I do think it has unique gameplay that pretty much cancels out the price tag. So I guess it is worth it :)

With that-- Portal clocked in at 1.5 hours (2-3 hours in my first playthrough from some time ago). Both Portal and Portal 2 in one day. Now back to finishing Crysis 2.

18. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    LOL

I think I have found myself a new avatar.

19. legoshoes

legoshoes Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Ultimately, PC gamers will always contain a vocal minority who thrive on finding things to complain about. I thought Portal 2 was perfect. Utterly stunning from start to finish (especially old aperture & Cave Johnson) and the co-op campaign was absolutely brilliant too. i recommend going through it with someone who is at the same level as you. So as to not spoil the surprise.

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I can imagine that being quite a problem... I must own about 50 console games with DLC content (that I haven't bought) on their respective stores and don't dare to think what I'd have spent if I'd felt the games were incomplete without it. Especially Rock Band and it's 2000+ songs, daaamn.

That's 5/6 of the price... so perhaps co-op is worth 1/6? It's pretty long, maybe not as long as single player but it has a set of completely new levels and it's own sub-plot so it doesn't feel tacked on at all.