Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 03-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell Tee View Post
Thank you Blackharon! Your sharing is already awesome for me.

I guess, I will contacting him to see if they can do something for my next game.

Love to have more open people like you in TA.

Cheers!
No problem I'll keep on hanging around TA as long as we're making games!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettVD View Post
Hi,

I had contacted them last year regarding doing some PR for my iPhone application. However, they were extremely unprofessional in the way they dealt with me; they wouldn't respond to emails or direct phone calls, and even didn't show up to a scheduled meeting because they "had something come up"; as if my time wasn't valuable. I was willing to shell out $5k+, too. Their loss.

So, I do not recommend them AT ALL. I've had more success speaking with Walker Sands in Chicago, IL.
This didn't happen to me with TriplePoint, but similar thing happened to me with another PR firm. I took the day off from work for a scheduled meeting, and the person didn't show up because he had something more important to do. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm working with a publisher now, but they're also not very good about promptness. It's so annoying and frustrating.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:43 AM
iPod Touch (2nd Gen), iOS 4.x

Send a message via Skype™ to GarrettVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1980 View Post
This didn't happen to me with TriplePoint, but similar thing happened to me with another PR firm. I took the day off from work for a scheduled meeting, and the person didn't show up because he had something more important to do. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm working with a publisher now, but they're also not very good about promptness. It's so annoying and frustrating.
For sure; and at that time I was freelancing so I didn't have a lot of time to spare. It looks like my issue may have been isolated
Old 03-27-2012, 03:01 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardKain View Post

To be honest, it is hard for PR to make a difference now in indie app gaming. Budgets both for production and marketing are very high now from established or well-funded companies, so the market is very different from 2009. Many companies we talk to would benefit from putting their PR budgets into the games' production values or improving the viral mechanics.

If you want the basics of what an indie can do on their own, which will suffice for most developers, please see the presentation we made to the NY Game Meetup: http://vimeo.com/14463498

Thanks for thinking of us and good luck!

Rich Kain
General Manager
rich@triplepointpr.com
Nice to hear an honest and practical viewpoint on PR for small studios.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:46 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I've been rather disappointed by the limited experience I had with TriplePoint. I emailed them a couple weeks ago based on strong recommendations from TA members and never got a reply. I politely emailed them again this week, and finally got a reply from an account executive. We agreed on a time to chat over the phone later this week to discuss the game. The next day, I get an email from her saying: "My response was a little premature. Upon further evaluation of our internal resources and demands for these projects, we unfortunately won't be able to take this on or continue the discussion."

Hope others have better luck than I did. Can anybody recommend a different and professional PR group that does games?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:18 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell Tee View Post
Is there any chance that they refuse you because of they're not confident on your game? Did you show your project to them?
That's entirely possible, but I don't know since I'm not privy to their internal deliberations. Our game is definitely not casual, but has received glowing praise from reviewers like:

"Dangerous is without a doubt (no, seriously) the most robust space adventure available for iOS right now." -148apps.com (4 out of 5 stars)

Winner of 2011 Achievement for Outstanding Original Soundtrack -iFanzine

And tons of praise for our Android version from players where it currently holds a 4/5 rating.

That's praise you can't really buy, and it at least shows that the game has "potential" to be a great successful marketing story. The thing that bothers me is they didn't respond to my initial email (which had links to download the Android apk and complete soundtrack) until I tried to contact them again two weeks later. So they had plenty of time to evaluate whether we were a good fit before scheduling the phone conference. Canceling on a potential client after you've arranged a conference is a bit...disappointing.

But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and take them at their word. No doubt they got tons of new business at GDC and were just swamped. Or they realized our game was just too complicated a sell compared to the usual raft of casual games. C'est la vie.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettVD View Post
Hi,

I had contacted them last year regarding doing some PR for my iPhone application. However, they were extremely unprofessional in the way they dealt with me; they wouldn't respond to emails or direct phone calls, and even didn't show up to a scheduled meeting because they "had something come up"; as if my time wasn't valuable. I was willing to shell out $5k+, too. Their loss.

So, I do not recommend them AT ALL. I've had more success speaking with Walker Sands in Chicago, IL.
Who is Walker Sands? How did that go?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhelix View Post
I've been rather disappointed by the limited experience I had with TriplePoint. I emailed them a couple weeks ago based on strong recommendations from TA members and never got a reply. I politely emailed them again this week, and finally got a reply from an account executive. We agreed on a time to chat over the phone later this week to discuss the game. The next day, I get an email from her saying: "My response was a little premature. Upon further evaluation of our internal resources and demands for these projects, we unfortunately won't be able to take this on or continue the discussion."

Hope others have better luck than I did. Can anybody recommend a different and professional PR group that does games?
I really don't like working with people when you have beg them to give them your money. That really sucks.