★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The idevice is not a serious games platform

06-24-2009, 05:53 AM
The idevice is not a serious games platform

And never will be until Apple enable games saves. I'm not talking restores, I'm talking about being able to save game progress for individual games at any time to a computer. For as long as Apple deem this unnecessary they do not take games (or any other apps) seriously and if they do not, why should we?

And if I cannot save game state - something which would not be tolerated at all on any other game platform - that also reduces the value of games.
06-24-2009, 05:59 AM
I was expecting Apple to fix this in 3.0, but I guess their priorities were hooked on push notification. Hopefully we will see this in 3.1. I doubt Apple is unaware of this problem. They are probably just ignoring it for the time being.

Crystal, OpenFeint, Plus+, Disc Drivin: Prab | Game Center: PrabSG

06-24-2009, 06:01 AM
Let's see, any other gaming platform, if you wipe its hard drive of the game, like you are doing when you delete a game from your iDevice, your progress is gone! I don't see the problem. Just don't delete games that you have progress in. The only reason it doesn't back it up is because you delete it manually, so iTunes assumes that you don't want your progress anymore.
06-24-2009, 06:06 AM
Well, but I think its good to have the option of keeping the gamesave, but not the game itself. I am using an 8GB and its hard to carry around so many games whose level updates will only come 3-6 months later. I rather use the space to carry more music around with me

06-24-2009, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleabag323 View Post
Let's see, any other gaming platform, if you wipe its hard drive of the game
This is not the same.

Every other game platform allows individual game saves. Apple does not yet.
06-24-2009, 07:18 AM
Well then, why don't you contact the game manufacturers to develop the ability to export/import game saves. I've seen other apps (mostly utilities) setup a web (or ftp/ssh/etc.) based import/export system for their data. They don't have to wait on Apple. They just need enough push from users to implement it. This isn't something you can blame completely on apple. Or even all on Apple.

Sanity Limits Your Options
06-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Until APPLE create an easy to use system then they don't give a damn.
Why should each developer have to re-invent the wheel when the API could make everything so much easier?

This is an Apple issue.
06-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Since game saves affect all games, then it will be more elegant and effective for the OS to implement a solution instead of having each game developer develop their own solution.

06-24-2009, 07:41 AM
Yes I too was hoping for this feature. It would be nice to not spend ten minutes debating whether or not I should delete a game to save space, because then all that time I spent on that game is lost..... it's very depressing

"I have nothing to say, and I'm saying it" - John Cage
Plus+ ID= Maythius

Game Center: Maythius
06-24-2009, 07:44 AM
Come on, seriously? Not a serious game platform because of save files not being backed up to a PC/Mac? Thats just pathetic - stop bitching about something so trivial and get a god-damn life.

p.s. if you are so concerned about game saves, don't be such a cheap b*****d and buy a 16GB or 32GB iDevice.

p.p.s most games on the app store are pretty small and can be completed in a few hours anyway!

Games I'm Playing: Jetpack Joyride, Infinity Blade 2, Batman, COD
Waiting For: Thunderbeam, Lostwinds, GTA3, Sonic CD