Tekken coming to iPhone

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by hiptanaka, Mar 5, 2010.

1. hiptanaka

hiptanaka Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    #1 hiptanaka, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
    Tekken has just been confirmed for an iPhone release:

Tekken confirmed for iPhone and iPod touch
    Official debut set forGDC 2010

[​IMG]

Putting speculation to rest that Namco Networks has been considering a touch-enabled version of Tekken, we can confirm today that the Iron Fist Tournament is indeed coming to iPhone and iPod touch.

An source close to Namco speaking to us on the condition of anonymity tells us the game is far along in development and looking good.

To paraphrase, "the game is being finished up and it plays quite nicely".

It's not clear whether this iPhone version has been built from scratch or is a touch-enabled port of Tekken 6 as developed for PSP. The latter seems most likely, which is wise given how well-crafted the PSP version is.

There's no confirmation of multiplayer, although we expect head-to-head bouts to be of the local variety.

With competitor Capcom having just announced Street Fighter IV for iPhone, Namco's move with Tekken is a logical one.

Both games will be shown at next week's Game Developers Conference, so expect more news soon.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Tekken+%28iPhone%29/news.asp?c=18951

Looks like they're trying to get a heads-up on SF IV :D

2. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    wow big holy shittttttttttttttttt
    :d

3. nulo

nulo Well-Known Member

this is interesting. has been a looooong time since i played a tekken game, hope it comes out to be good.

4. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
  5. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Let's just hope this has more features than Namco's other games... particularly Time Crisis. They were fun games, but if they keep it up, this game will have Jin, Kazuya, and Heihachi and that's it.

That said, I can't wait. If it's any bit as fun as Dark Tournament was, I'll be getting this in an instant.

It seems like all the games that were in shortage before are now getting a ton of games. 2 other good fighting games, a ton of turn based RPG's...

6. DrMonkey

DrMonkey Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    YUSSSSS

Keep these fighting games coming. >:]

7. Golden Boy

Golden Boy Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Financial Manager
    Huge fan of the whole Tekken series. Been playing Tekken since the very first one. Glad that it is finally coming to the iPhone.

Sorry Street Fighter, but my money goes to Tekken first :cool:

8. Just need one more great Namco game: Soul Calibur IV

9. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    Yes! Street Fighter IV looks smooth and great, but I would love it if the graphics were better. Hopefully this will be as smooth and great as Street Fighter IV PLUS have great graphics.

10. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Nah... Soul Calibur III was better... I liked the original create a character weapons as well as that fun RTS mode that everyone somehow hated. I liked the amount of gear you could get for your character and how it affected stats, but after playing Soul Calibur II and III, IV really felt like it was lacking a lot of stuff, particularly a decent story/campaign mode like Weapon Master mode of SCII.

Yeah, it needs to be a SCII or III port.

11. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    This is going to suck... big time.

12. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    #12 Ouisch, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
    Sorry to be one of the "rain on the parade" types, but I honestly can't see Tekken working without a physical joystick/gamepad... at all.

Street Fighter 4 could possibly work sloppily, but Tekken? With all the super precise direction taps? I'd love to see someone even try to EWGF on an iPhone.

Unless they're planning on completely gutting most of the controls/movesets, or coming up with a new control scheme entirely...

I'm a huge fighting game fan, but I'm not even considering any of these. Possibly Street Fighter IV for a laugh if it's under $5, but not with any plans to play it seriously. It's just not the right platform for fighting games IMO. I mean, I have enough problems playing Ghosts and Goblins with the virtual D-pad, never mind fighting games.

13. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I don't think that will be a good indication of what the game is like after the whole Ridge Racer mess. The PSP version is still one of my favorite racing games ever (and I don't even care about the other ones in the franchise) and they totally butchered the experience on the iphone!

14. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Why do you always have to be so negative about everything?
    All we know is the name of the game, nothing else.

15. tym4n

tym4n Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Texas
    I am stoked about tekken

16. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Because:
    a. He doesn't like big devs and their big name games, eg. Assassin's Creed II (he kept b*tching about the game after its release even though he never tried the game)

b. He wants to create a persona in TA (like that banned kid who thinks about Gameloft's conspiracy theory, lol)

c. He's just bored and wants some attention.

17. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Ah, so he is the new MichaelScott.
    I can't understand. Random Guy is one of the older forum members and I used to read good, intelligent posts of his, but now they have all gone douchey.

18. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Wrong again, buddy. 4 out of my 7 favourite games are developed by big developers... Just look at my sig.

19. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I wouldn't go as far as calling him the new Michaelscott.

20. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Yeah, but in this case, where the name of the game is Tekken, I have to agree with him.

I mean, there's always a chance they're going to go for some strange new control scheme, which might work out, but will probably alienate and annoy fans of Tekken.

However, likely, they're going to try to give it console like controls/virtual d-pad... which couldn't possibly end well.