Freemium Game Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Eli, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Feel free to use this thread for ranting at end about how much you hate freemium games such as ngmoco's recently released (in Canada) We Rule.

2. sk8erdude50

sk8erdude50 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    is this thread really necessary?

3. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    Or turn your hate into positivity and take 5 mins out of your day to do something nice for someone else like give them a compliment :)

Being negative is viral, remember that you are influencing those around you with your own feelings.

Same thing with being positive, try it :)

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

It's going to serve as the We Rule thread garbage dump, so yes.

5. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    #5 goiMot, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
    I knew it :another Touch Pet dogs! BIG FAIL! That's why I don't like this dev.
    and.... This game has ADS!
    and for those who asked about pricing: the store in the game is now available yet.

6. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Very nicely said!

7. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    I've been a victim of viral negativity myself, not that I'm any better than anyone else, but when you can identify what's going on in your environment, it's easier to control yourself.

It'd be great if the internet was full of rainbows and everyone being cheery and nice, but that will never happen. We just have to learn how to interact with each other without causing too much influence in any one area.

8. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    I just posted a comment about the game and It was deleted, well it seems that only good reviews are allowed?

the game has ADS
    and the store in the game is not available, so not pricing news yet.

9. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    Freemium games are almost like going to an arcade and popping quarters into the machine, but for your iPhone and iPod touch. A Touch Arcade, if you will. ;)

But yeah, not sure I dig the model myself. It's better to pay for and own a full game, with optional paid expansions, than to have to deal with a sort of crippled subscription thing going on.

10. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    If you don't plan on downloading the game.. how is that a review?

11. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    i downloaded the game and tried to leave reviews and u keep deleting my posts?
    who can u expect people who don't have the game to make an opinion of the game only based on good reviews?

the game has ADS and the in store is not available yet to buy upgrades.

12. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    my grandma always told me if i cant say something nice not to say anything at all. so.... i will not support that company.. or any it buys.

chris.

13. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    I didn't delete your posts. If this post isn't true then why do you care it was deleted?

14. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Removing negative comments from a thread made for comments seems counterintuitive. Whatever gets you thru night I guess.

15. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    What else do you expect from Ngmoco? All they do is Bullshit people. And it's one of the reasons why I refuse to use Plus+. Why because Ngmoco has some involvement in it.

16. doggieguy23

doggieguy23 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    I hate freemium games. They just try using the in-app purchases to make way more money then they have to. I liked Rolando but now they try to scam people with in-app purchases.

17. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I didn't mind how Rolando did in-app purchases, because they lasted.

18. Mr. Crazy

Mr. Crazy Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    England
    Wow, the freemium works miles better in we rule than elimiante and touch pets.

19. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2009
    I think it's the best way to combat piracy though, but I agree that total game costs are higher with "freemium" games vs non.

20. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Is Freemium always bad? I mean Rolando gives you a heck of a lot of gameplay for each of the in-app-purchases you make. Each one of those is worth a lot more than most 99cent games right?

I think it's a really nice way to eliminate the need for a lite version, and allow for expansion of a game, etc.

Maybe the part people don't like is the 'consumable' items? I can understand that :)