Universal Space Grunts : turn-based meets arcade action by OrangePixel

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by orangepascal, Jul 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orangepascal

orangepascal Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,

Been a while since I dropped by, so I must have a game close to completion, and I do! :)
    The new game is what originally started as the sci-fi version of Heroes of Loot, but turned into something slightly different so it got named Space Grunts.

A roguelike with turn-based gameplay but combined with arcade action.

Here's some gameplay video:

(music taken from INC, not settled on which music yet)

I never really play turn-based games, so the challenge was to create something that was interesting both to turn-based gamers but also arcade gamers like me. It means the pace is pretty high (if you want) and it plays a lot like an arcade game, except if you just think about running through the levels without any tactics or thinking, you won't get very far (trust me, I tried).

I hope to have this game done late 2015, maybe early 2016. You can check out more details and sign-up to not miss the release over at www.spacegrunts.com

Some more eye candy for now :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SenadMMG

SenadMMG Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Looks great. So much juice :) I've been fan of your games since Meganoid and it's great to see how every new game is a refinement in terms of visual style.
    One question: portrait or landscape mode for Space Grunts?

3. freakernet

freakernet Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2015
    I really love the game that this company makes, so i really have to keep an eye on this one
    good luck devs you usually do a great work

4. orangepascal

for now it's landscape.. haven't looked into portrait mode yet. The game plays with "arcade like" controls at the moment, which wouldn't work in portrait. But I can probably repurpose the PC's mouse controls and then portrait is a possibility

5. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    Im a sucker for pixel art. Especially cute looking ones. The art style in this game looks amazing. Game play looks good too. It does remind me of a certain game I used to play back then but can't remember the name. A similar style which is sorta hybrid turn based like this one. But this game does look more hectic thou. Looking forward to it. :)

6. orangepascal

Little view on the inventory screen, this is where battles will be won: using the right items at the right time

Currently adding a bunch of items to make sure the inventory is interesting enough on every play.

[​IMG]

7. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

DAMN!!! Can't wait! September is too far away! Lol. Guess I got to keep playing GS 2 some more lol.

8. orangepascal

I still play the daily challenge myself, so it's a good solution to bridge the weeks/months! ;)

9. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Same here, but it's difficult when you have Space Grunts right around the corner, lol. OrangePixel stop sucking my free time away :D lol

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This game is going to be epic. :)

11. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Catchy 8-bit music. I love it.

12. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    I love the game: Heroes of Loot.
    Space Grunts looks really good so far. I hope there will be plenty of differences between the two besides the graphics.
    Regardless; I,m looking forward to the release!

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Heroes of Loot is a realtime action dungeon crawler. Space Grunts is turn-based, and leans more towards being a roguelike.

I think that alone should suggest the differences are huge.

14. orangepascal

Yeah these games are very different in how they play, the only thing the have in common is the top-down view and the developer ;p

15. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I love the art style and I love turn based games , so this will be one I need to keep an
    eye on.

16. orangepascal

A new week, a lot of new stuff added as the game is slowly, but certainly, nearing some sort of playable state.
    Some of the awesomeness added this week:

[​IMG]

More and more interesting items are being added on a daily basis. The big problem is keeping a balance in the "power" you can collect and the enemies you face. To add to the fun, most of the items will be on a "see what it does" basis ;)

[​IMG]

Of course I can't release a new game without the little animations that are now almost standard in the Orangepixel games. And yes, they will be skip-able, and no they won't pop up a lot, just here and there, and only once!

[​IMG]

Having done some checking with players, it seems people really love some game-lore being added to a game. And that's where the new datacards come in! Find a datacard, find a working CPU, and read on some facts about the various monsters and game story. Will come with an achievement for those who found all datacards!

Also added a new parasitic alien-worm creature, it will stick to you for 3 turns, so you better keep distance!
    And to top it all of, I added secret-area's where you'll find some special items!

There is still room for a little feature-creep, so are there any requests or ideas on what more to add?

17. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Looks like this might be your best work yet.

18. orangepascal

more tinkering with the out-door zone.
    Changing the lights a bit, and adding improved clouds:

[​IMG]

and some people told me it was weird monitors didn't blow up when hit by rockets..
    fixed that (destroying secret walls is even more fun)

[​IMG]

Also updated the website with the latest images and artwork,
    so check out and sign up at:

www.spacegrunts.com

Oh and you like this opening shot?

[​IMG]

19. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I love it

20. Faultyairlock

Faultyairlock Active Member

Mar 18, 2015
    This looks great. Can't wait to try it out!