Marketing feedback wanted

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Alistair Aitcheson, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Alistair Aitcheson

Alistair Aitcheson Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Game Developer
    Wiltshire, UK
    Hi everyone,

I'm having real trouble getting people interested in my game, and I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback as to where I might be going wrong.

My iTunes link is: http://toucharcade.com/link/http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/greedy-bankers/id417814882?mt=8&ls=1

The game's website is http://www.greedy-bankers.com

I've also put up a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0c1sum2zKc

And am starting a video series about developing the game, which I hope should increase interest in my work as a developer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpfqi9PaXSk

So far nothing seems to have grabbed anyone's interest. Any ideas as to why that might be? I really appreciate any help anyone can offer :)

2. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Your just getting started you need to do much more than that . Here is more for you to do

I hope you come back to this thread and see this. I tell you what does really work though . Before you launch follow these directions and you will be way better off and have money in your pocket.
    1) Hit all major forums that have heavy lurker traffic , before you launch your game
    www.148apps.com
    www.freshapps.com
    www.iphone4forum.net
    www.ipodtouchfans.com
    www.nodpad.com
    Also go to the social sites like www.Mocospace.com and facebook.
    On mocospace go to the gamer and teen rooms 1st and promote then hit the other rooms.
    2) Go on google type " list of 30 iphone bloggers"
    a link should come up with list email addresses of 30 iphone bloggers. Pick maybe 20 of them and send them promo codes for them to review your game.
    3) When your game is release go back to all those websites and open a new topic saying you game is released . Also go to PRmac.com and do a $20 press release.
    Basically you just did $500 worth of marketing without spending $800 dollars they just charged you. Yes it takes about total of 8-10 hours to do the steps I showed you but its worth it and you only spent $20 bucks. How this helps you and everyone else.

3. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
  4. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the list here Yemi, didn't know about some of these forums ;-)

Another thing to try, if you're going to be throwing money at the situation anyways, is holding some sort of contest. There's a good promo code/contest area here in the TA forums. Look there for some good examples.

Besides, why give money to marketing professionals when you could just be giving money to your players/users as incentives to try it out :D

5. Alistair Aitcheson

Jan 30, 2011
    Game Developer
    Wiltshire, UK
    Thanks for the feedback, guys, this is very helpful :)

6. fiveohthree

fiveohthree Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    what exactly is "lurker traffic"???

7. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    "lurker traffic" lurkers are people who read the forums, but don't necessarily participate in the discussions. They may be registered users, but more than likely (?) they are unregistered and just come here to read up on what's going on.

non-registered users will never see what is in your sig (that stuff is only visible to other logged-in users,and even then they may have turned off sig visibility in their settings). sounds like I am getting nitpicky, but you will potentially get some hits from whatever's in your sig.

I say do some research and don't waste time on "dead forums." I suppose it's always worth it to poke around and maybe register/cut n paste a thread for your game, but in many of those secondary and tertiary sites they may just be ghosts towns. It's been awhile since I've poked and prodded on a few, but I remember some bigger sites (where you'd think they would have been more active) I'd put up a thread and it would sit on their front page for no joke, months. Sounds "good" but that means no one is seeing it, ever. Maybe 2 or 3 people, which is fairly irrelevant.

It's pretty easy to tell if a forum is active or not. I am going through this all over again right now as I prepare to release on Android.

FYI - here's a breakdown of where most of my hits came from (I suggest you use bit.ly or google links or something to track where your links are coming from, this will save you TONS of time and energy.

consider a link to my game's page on iTunes

1. neogaf.com (they have a very active iPhone thread), 530 clicks (in total, over the course of ~10 months)
    2. TA (active thread and running promotions), 500 clicks
    3. Facebook, 400 clicks
    4. twitter, 350 clicks
    5. my own (active) blog, 150 clicks

mind that I cultivated all of the above things in each case, never having just dropped something and left it there to "take care of itself." Also consider that these are clicks and not necessarily DLs

hope that helps!

8. Alistair Aitcheson

Jan 30, 2011
    Game Developer
    Wiltshire, UK
    Thanks for the detailed feedback, Headcase :)

9. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

10. Runloop

Runloop Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    #10 Runloop, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
    Don't think it's anything to do with your game. People on forums and games press simply don't appear to be interested in anything that's not a) by a big publisher b) by people they know personally c) already successful.

My game got no attention from anyone at all before I released it despite me posting on many forums, and emailing all the review sites. The only response from any press I got was telling me in no uncertain terms that they weren't going to review my game and to stop wasting my time emailing them.

Fortunately for me Apple had to look at it and they decided to feature it in German and Austria. It's now sat at number 17 in the overall paid chart in Germany above Angry Birds Seasons.

Since, it's been reviewed several times, mainly in Germany but some English speaking sites as well. So I guess this falls under option C, already successful.

11. La~

La~ Active Member

Interesting, did you translate the whole game to german?

12. Runloop

Runloop Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    No, the only translations that have been done are for the iTunes store text. Even that was done retrospectively after a kind offer from mr.Ugly.

13. Alistair Aitcheson

Jan 30, 2011
    Game Developer
    Wiltshire, UK
    That's interesting, Runloop. I'm working on multilingual translations at the moment, so perhaps that might help it pick up some interest.