Universal Junk Jack Retro (By Pixbits)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by New England Gamer, Nov 7, 2011.

1. deadclown

deadclown Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    #461 deadclown, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
    Ugh. I just bought this game, but I have to vehemently disagree with the perspective of the developer. Sorry for the windy explanation, but I want you to try to understand this not-uncommon perspective:

I'm a 30ish white collar working professional, as are most of my friends. A little under half of them (myself included) have a degree of carpal tunnel or repetitive motion disorder. And it's from working long hours, as our jobs require, in front of a computer, and having to keep up business communications after hours on keypads and touchscreens. That's pretty much the new norm for working professionals in Silicon Valley (and a helluva lot of other places).

When I finally get to unwind for the day, I look to something mindless and easy on my body and brain. A great iOS game fits the bill perfectly. (Especially a well-crafted sandbox builder!) But if there's one thing I and my friends NEED to avoid, it's the repetitive motion strain we work through all day. Excessive tapping is exactly that.

Please don't penalize people like me who need to alleviate, not compound, the stresses of our days:

Take the average tap speed, multiply it by the number of taps required to break an object, and make that exactly the length of time you need to hold on an object to break it. Or, even better, have one normal tap (with the setting toggled on) initiate the breaking process, which is automatic, but takes as long as it would (and no more) to tap the object to pieces.

I admire your interest in proper game balance. But please consider the human factor(s), too. And the fairness of penalizing in any way those of us who will have to deal with the sneakiest sort of injury all our lives.

Thanks, and sorry for the long read.

2. Bhoy

Bhoy Well-Known Member

May 8, 2011
    Great! So glad tapping will still be included. Gives you that sort of in the game feel if you know what I mean it's like your finger is the pick axe. Plus LOVE how this game hardly uses up any battery. Played this game for a good 45 minutes and my battery only went down by 10%.

3. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Sounds like you need another outlet if tapping or holding longer than what you want to is a problem. Lol

4. iEatYoChicken

iEatYoChicken Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Apple needs to hurry up and approve the update! :mad:

5. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

I want a castle like yours.

6. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Such class :rolleyes:.

Would love to be able to see what future you has to say about current you when life and probabilities take their toll. Trust me, the more you actually love gaming, which I have to assume you do because you're here, the more likely that karma will bite you right in the rear on this one.

7. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Does anyone think that this game might have been even higher in the charts if Crafted hadn't come out and taken the Minecraft clone spotlight? :)

8. Saqerbeast

Saqerbeast Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    u guys should add a way to customize your charecter like in terraria. and online multiplayer is very much needed.

9. chespace

chespace Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Yup, this.

The tapping is basically what killed the game for me within the first 30 minutes or so and I haven't gone back. From what I've seen, the game has plenty of soul and some of the UGC here is awesome. But yeah, tapping, not so much.

Oh well, you already got my $, and I don't mind supporting Junk Jack, but can't say I'm going to recommend this to my other iOS playing friends if tapping is at the core of this game's control mechanics.

10. PugLover

PugLover Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    USA
    If tapping nonstop is the only way to go still, count me out.

11. tinytrex

tinytrex New Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Tapping Is Only Bad At First

I just picked this game up 3 days ago and I've been quite absorbed since. I found the tapping pretty straining at first but I soon realized the value of an upgraded tool. Once I got a hold of a iron-->gold-->mithril... blowing through blocks was easy. Also, blowing through that many blocks so fast loads up on my inventory so I get to take a tapping break when I visit the home world.

I mean, considering how it's an iPhone game, tapping really isn't all that bad. And it does get me into the immersion factor of the game as, like someone else said, your finger is the pickaxe. I mean, it's not like one of those hundreds of Wii games that make you do the *fap fap* motion as fast as you can just to play the damn thing.

Anyway, I'm digging this game a lot especially for the graphics. New to the whole minecraft thing and none of the other games appealed to me because of the graphics, but this really hits home for me.

Next step developers:
    - Change Junk Jack's outfit/find clothes!
    - Build a closet for all your outfits? yeah yeah?
    - Multiplayer (@,@) this would probably make this game 2x greater in replay value

Good job Pixbits, I'm a fan!

12. ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Just bought it. It's cute, but the amount of tapping will probably cause me to shelve this :(

13. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    *facepalm*

The dev has already stated that a "hold-to-break" option was included in the update that has been submitted, maybe next time you should all look before you write this game off.

14. Pixbits

Pixbits Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Not submitted yet, but I quite finished implementing it.. we're satisfied with it for now, but it'll need some testing (to guarantee not to have strange bugs, then it will happen as with older devices and be full of hidden bugs :) )

15. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    the 1.0.2 is not submitted yet??? in the forum changelog is written "v1.0.2 (waiting for approval by Apple)", what does it mean? i have a 3G device and would like to play with it, i've paid it 3 bucks guys... so, come on!
    thanks!

16. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    An update IS submitted, you can visit the official forums at any time if you want to see all the changelogs, past and future: http://forum.pixbits.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8

The tap-hold to break vs. tap-tap-tap-tap to break feature is what is still in a forthcoming update.

17. colourblind.cow

colourblind.cow Active Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Here's my house, took a heck load of farming sand to build it. Was aiming for a floating colosseum sort of theme.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My glass room lol
    [​IMG]

18. Penilegland

Penilegland Member

Nov 10, 2011
    #478 Penilegland, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

OH NOES!
    pixbits has no intentions of updating junk jack to run on 3G, instead he is going to run for the hills with your $3 and buy a grilled cheese sandwich.

*kidding, kidding ^.^*

Junk Jack devs are pretty awesome for submitting the emergency update to fix the issues almost immediately, I've had to wait months before and sometimes the devs didn't bother at all.
    That's not the case here though clearly,
    The devs are very dedicated and loyal, so please don't stress!
    They've made a game THIS awesome which such an extensive item
    Library and land to explore, they want everyone to be able to experience their hard work, Not go to waste!
    I trust them %110

The game is so awesome, its pretty much perfect..but itd be a gazillion shmillion times perfect-er if these things were ever added to the game:
    I agree, customization of jack would be awesome.
    It'd be cool if you had to physically make them too, you have to collect wool and some leaves, then use a grinder to grind the leaves to get green dust, then use a basin to dye the wool green, then use a sewing machine to make a shirt.

It's alot of work but it'd be funner that way, the more little challenges there are the better.

I'm looking forward to quests too.
    I hope quests are like- "I want to make a diamond plant! I will be RICH! bring me 2 clay pots, 1 diamond, and 10 bamboo and I will reward you greatly"

And then you have to do a bunch of quests and in-game achievements to finish the game (not really finish because there will always be things to build)

Also there **badly** need to be some sort of a rucksack to increase your inventory size, I am going insane.
    I decided to do a huge mine stake out today and after mining for only about 20 minutes I already had to start throwing out things I wanted to keep, then after another 10 minutes or so I decided I better go back home and empty my inventory again.
    I've only been playing casually for a few days and I have about 6 full chests already.
    And several shelves..
    There really needs to be an upgradable chest too.
    Wooden chests should be standard, then silver chests should give you another line, and gold gives yo + 2 lines, and then chests with gems incrusted in them, or solid diamond chests should have even more storage.

Stacking chests would also be very handy.

And it would be nice If torched lit more surrounding area,
    My house has patches of dark and light because I can't place a torch EVERYWHERE you need paintings and windows and what not, and torches are really effecting my interior design quite negatively and also uses up too much room that could be used to shelves and paintings.
    I know there is a ceiling lantern but it's not craftable yet.. I tried to make a chain and I couldn't.
    I hope the ceiling lantern lights a much further area than torches do! And I hope they don't drip.

Also hope later on that there will be a reason to collect treasure because right now it seems a little pointless, even just a page/trophy cabinet that shows you every treasure you have found, and what treasures you still need, that alone would motivate players to want to collect them all.

Looping the world, I hate going all the way to the end looking for a certain tree, to not find any of that tree an then to have to walk all the way back to the other side.

Pets.. Maybe just one even? I'd love to have to come home to feed my per dragon, and maybe even be able to ride it and have special abilitys? Like quicker digging time, (IAP maybe?)

Being able to change the fabric on items by dying them with grounded powder, like the bed and chairs.

Zoom in and out mode, when you click the zoom
    Button and it shows you a zoomed out view and has a camera
    Option, it was be nice if either the camera option or the normal zoom allowed scrolling and zooming in\out by pinching the screen, solely for the purpose of taking photos of your home, it's almost impossible at the moment, and because it's basically the main goal of playing the game.. It'd be nice to be able to show off your awesome creations in full!

More biomes of course, a space/moon biome would be sweet, maybe even a candyland theme with candy canes and pink blocks.

19. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Nice house. It's cool to see what other people have been building.

20. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    READ before your post. It gives other members confusing ideas! An update is in the works for the tap mechanic - as heated as THAT debate has become.

Tap, don't tap, frankly I don't care, I like the game enough to play it the way the developer wants me to.