Age of Grit Contest Suggestions - $100 GC

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by iqSoup, Aug 22, 2014.

?

What sort of contest should we have?

1. Art Contest

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Soup Contest

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Speed Running or High Score Contest

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Social Media Contest

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. OTHER (tell us your suggestion below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. iqSoup

iqSoup Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Arizona
    Hello everyone!

The Age of Grit Kickstarter is doing well--we're at around 26% funded now but still have a long way to go. If you're not familiar with Age of Grit go check out the campaign, skim around a bit, and then hop back over here.

Pledges have slowed down a bit and we need to pick things back up, so we want to have a contest to drum up some attention. Grand prize will be a $100 gift card.

I've got a couple ideas for what the contest could be but I want to hear from the community for suggestions.

Here's a few ideas:
    1. Art Contest. A lot of the feedback we've received shows the steampunk/cowboy world of Age of Grit is what a lot of people find interesting about the project. An art contest would help show that off and give fans a chance to share their own vision for the world.
    2. Soup Contest 2.0! About a year ago we had a soup contest in honor of the iqSoup company mascot: a bowl of soup. People took pictures of delicious soup and posted them on our Facebook page. We voted on the best one and they won the grand prize.
    3. Speed Running or High Score Contest. We could pick some game and have some kind of speed running or high score contest. Whoever beats the game in the fastest time or gets the highest score by the end of the contest wins the grand prize. The hard part of this one would be verifying that people aren't cheating--not sure how that would work. Any suggestions?
    4. Social Media Contest: Whoever can get the most FB LIKES or retweets on a Age of Grit related post wins. This one's kind of boring but would encourage people to really spread the word. Maybe there's a way to make something like this more interesting.
    5. Other suggestions. We are open to suggestions. Any ideas for a unique or interesting contest? Have you guys ever seen a really fun online contest you liked? Just remember the point is to spread to word about the AOG Kickstarter--we want as many people to see and participate in the contest as possible.

Let me know you think!

2. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    A couple of things
    1) split up the prize money and have more than one winner or contest
    2) Please please pleeeeeeeeease no Facebook likes contest! There really intrusive getting friends to all like plus it sucks when your friends can like 500 different cat pictures but don't have time to like your link for a contest
    3) TA members is legendary for beating speed contests in an hour or more plus foe that amount in prize money hackers will spawn for sure.

The soup and art stuff sound cool though I'll get back if I think of anything else that could help
    Oh and most people use twitter instead of FB

3. iqSoup

iqSoup Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Arizona
    Thanks for the suggestions. I agree--cat pics are the worst.

I will think about splitting up the prize money--maybe have $50 for the winner, $30 for the runner up, and $20 for third place. Less of an all or nothing proposition then.

I totally agree with what your saying when it comes to speed running and similar stuff getting hacked. I don't want to totally rule out a game play based contest though...just not sure the best way to go about it.

I'm leaning toward a fan art contest right now--I think there's lots of opportunities for some cool artwork. My only issue with that is it limits participates to, ya know, people who are artists. Could be really fun though and I suppose the rest of us can still sort of participate by enjoying the artwork people provide.

4. I'm not an artist but I think it coincides. I would do something social media mixed with photography. Good luck

5. iqSoup

iqSoup Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Arizona
    Thanks for the kind words!

I think we'll do some kind of art contest with several different categories and a separate prize for each. Perhaps one category could be for a steampunk airship. Maybe another could be for characters. And maybe we could do one more open to less artistic among us--something photography related perhaps.