★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
11-02-2013, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
I think EP has something against endless runners.
I do love my runner games, but do you think i'd want "Dead Space Dash" or "Epoch Rush" or "Heroes & Castles Run" to happen? F NO.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
11-02-2013, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
I do love my runner games, but do you think i'd want "Dead Space Dash" or "Epoch Rush" or "Heroes & Castles Run" to happen? F NO.
Wait, are you saying we can't transition this into a runner and call it AutoVamp? Or how about ShadowRunner? Can't every game play itself into incessant boredom while we sit and tap the screen to jump, over and over again?

11-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightRooks View Post
I like the game a lot, but it's not perfect - kinda janky, with controls that don't quite measure up to the amount of precision it asks of you, and level design that's a bit slapdash. Hugely impressive central mechanic, though, from the way it feels to spin the island to how the shadows look.
Totally agree.

The theme and the implementation of shadow is what carries this title, as does the music. The execution, not as much. The controls are slippery and allow too much room for error in scenarios that requires pinpoint placement, leaving the enjoyment of exploration hindered (I often would just rather get the level finished than find all the coins, etc.) The level designs don't always make sense, where health potions are set in areas where I don't need them at all. Pushing objects around is somewhat of an annoyance. Again, love the concept, as I knew I would before the game even came out, but this feels awkward and unfinished.

Consumable IAP that are insanely expensive doesn't help.

Last edited by SumoSplash; 11-06-2013 at 08:46 PM.
11-07-2013, 05:54 PM
I'm trying to finish this game but controls are killing the experience for me... like mentioned just one post above, moving crates is awkward, but its worse: moving other things around could even result in going over them and making them somewhat frustrating. On top of that, sometimes the wheel to rotate the shadows auto rotates and moves by its own making some difficult tasks even more difficult due to the controls. Also, liked mentioned above (again), tomato cans? are placed randomly and exploration is impossible due to the restrains. Would have been way more awesome if you had a character with upgradable stats, not having to save tons of money for one that is not even different from the standard one.

The concept, the novel idea of rotating the island to make a path of shadows is genius, but the execution... not so much. Better controls and this game improves a lot. The game is already there just needs further tweaking.

And deleted (saved my game if an update to make it better to play it arises).
11-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrost View Post
I'm trying to finish this game but controls are killing the experience for me... like mentioned just one post above, moving crates is awkward, but its worse: moving other things around could even result in going over them and making them somewhat frustrating. On top of that, sometimes the wheel to rotate the shadows auto rotates and moves by its own making some difficult tasks even more difficult due to the controls. Also, liked mentioned above (again), tomato cans? are placed randomly and exploration is impossible due to the restrains. Would have been way more awesome if you had a character with upgradable stats, not having to save tons of money for one that is not even different from the standard one.

The concept, the novel idea of rotating the island to make a path of shadows is genius, but the execution... not so much. Better controls and this game improves a lot. The game is already there just needs further tweaking.

And deleted (saved my game if an update to make it better to play it arises).
Yup, totally.

It's very cut and dried assessing this game. The positives and negatives are very clear, with this being a good thing.

I adore the attention to detail in putting the slightest sliver of shadow in just the right spot. Conversely, putting that shadow where you want often leads to unnecessary fumbling. I'm also not a fan of any time you're forced to take damage. For example, there was a spot where you have to move garlic out of the way in order to access a passage between two buildings. From what I could tell, there was no way to avoid the garlic. Of course there is a health/blood potion available after you get back to compensate you, but still, you're forced to take damage. The player should technically be able to do everything the level offers without being put in that position.

The Google map-esque backdrop feels cheesy. Also, the objects that drop into the abyss vanish before they reach the trees. I'm noticing little misses and glitches here and there as I progress. Oh, and the moving of objects just sucks. The pushing seems lazy.

Despite the drawbacks here, I do find myself coming back. The central theme is that good, and the music is effing awesome.
11-08-2013, 12:38 AM
Quote:
And deleted
Yeah, I think I'm close to that myself. Too glitchy and too awkward in the current state. I'm finding myself getting annoyed with it. When that happens, it's time to walk away.
11-08-2013, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoSplash View Post
Yeah, I think I'm close to that myself. Too glitchy and too awkward in the current state. I'm finding myself getting annoyed with it. When that happens, it's time to walk away.
Yeah, the AppStore (and my iPhone) has too many good games to get stuck in one. If it fails me, I delete it and keep going with another.
11-08-2013, 04:11 AM
Quote:
Yeah, the AppStore (and my iPhone) has too many good games to get stuck in one. If it fails me, I delete it and keep going with another.
I agree, but I also don't drop games on a whim simply because the going gets tough. There have to be things wrong with my experience, usually things out of my control. Once I am able to feel that happening, which takes time and assessment, then I move on. This reminds me of Sine Mora, where I had to fight the game in order to get enjoyment out of it. Though Shadow Vamp is not nearly that extreme, I am finding the end result to be more empty than the strength of the core mechanic.

This game has tons of potential, but needs polishing. I think I'll revisit it down the road.
11-08-2013, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoSplash View Post
I agree, but I also don't drop games on a whim simply because the going gets tough. There have to be things wrong with my experience, usually things out of my control. Once I am able to feel that happening, which takes time and assessment, then I move on. This reminds me of Sine Mora, where I had to fight the game in order to get enjoyment out of it. Though Shadow Vamp is not nearly that extreme, I am finding the end result to be more empty than the strength of the core mechanic.

This game has tons of potential, but needs polishing. I think I'll revisit it down the road.
Yep, that's why I backed my saved game just in case it gets better. If a time arrives that when pushing boxes around doesn't end with me dying because I walk over the crates (way worse with seeds) I will go back again.
11-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Yep, that's why I backed my saved game just in case it gets better. If a time arrives that when pushing boxes around doesn't end with me dying because I walk over the crates (way worse with seeds) I will go back again.
As strong as the shadow mechanic is, it is almost equally matched by how weak the pushing mechanic is. Not only are you able to walk over objects while pushing, there is no extra animation for the actual push--nothing to signify that the push is taking place. I wish the vampire's arms would extend, or he would be able to pick things up and carry them. The physics feel off as well when the large objects are moved (like the giant rolling ball) in that they have no weight to them. That thing moved like it was hollow on the inside.

Earlier I said the game felt unfinished, and that comment was directed specifically at this aspect of the game.